1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MORMONISM AND WITTNESSING TO THEM

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Alex, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

Mormonism:

Just for starters, I thought I would first discuss their public relations and converts. The young people are their main way of spreading their belief. They are brainwashed and are usually baptized at age eight, or as near to that as possible. Most of these young people, who are later used to spread their cult belief, are in their late teens or early twenties.

There are 15 or more training centers around the world. The largest is in Provo, Utah and is feed by the Mormon operated, Brigham Young University. Sadly, there are some thirty thousand undergraduates there.

During their childhood they are baptized, as I stated earlier, attend a Mormon Sunday school and early morning seminary classes. This training continues through their years in college and eventually the parents pay for a two-year missionary trip (always two as a team). The church pays for their way back home. Before being sent out, they are trained at a missionary training center and learn there how to present their cult belief in a very attractive manner. These groups, always made up of two individuals, spend all their time trying to convert the weak to their belief.

The following are some points for witnessing:

The LDS goal is to present themselves as Christians while, at the same time, maintaining Mormon doctrines and distinctions.

The Book of Mormon is now subtitled, Another Testament of Jesus Christ. This new name is used to appeal to those who love Jesus already.

They “jump on”, those who are concerned about the salvation of their dead loved ones and friends. They promote baptism of the dead. Our Bible DOES NOT PROMOTE THIS. (LDS’s doctrine promotes the salvation of the dead in another spirit world by a special priest of sorts.)

LDS missionaries consider their witnessing as a step towards their celestial kingdom. Emphasize to them that God’s grace in Christ is sufficient for salvation and that ALL is found within our Bible.

Tell them that the Bible is the ultimate source for family guidance, not any other book, church or organization. Tell them those who use the Christian Bible as a source of knowledge, usually have happy and healthy homes.

Mormonism is not only a cult but is also a culture that seeks to attract and hold people and their families for generations.

I hope this helps as we fight against the fastest growing cult in the world. Right now there are over 10 million, world wide, with 5 million in the USA. There is much more to discuss on this subject and I hope to be able to continue with more about them and more tips on witnessing to them. Most of these young missionaries know little about the overall bible but are schooled in depth on Mormonism and are caught up as innocents in a group that is not with God/Jesus at all. We lose more Christians to this cult than any other non-Christian religion.

God Bless……………….Alex

2. SolaScriptura

SolaScriptura New Member

Have you ever read the Mormons' minster's manual? Last tiem some Mormons came to my house I asked to see it, and they let me. After you prove all their doctrines false by the Word of God they go to the section in their manual called 'errors in the Bible' because they realize they aren't going to convert you, so they make their last attempt to damn you. Here are their supposed errors:

In one place in Acts the men with Paul did not hear the voice, in the orther they heard but didn't understand. Easy to explain.

In Matthew, the priests use the money Judas gave back to them to buy a field. In Acts Judas kills himself in a field he bought with the waves of iniquity. Also, easily explained: Judas was a thief! Any field he would buy would be from the wages of iniquity. But the field he bought has the same name as the one they bought, someone says. He bought the field with money that he had stolen earlier, and after he died the priests bought that same field - it was already defiled with blood which is why they used it to burry foreigners.

3. Alex

Alex New Member

Here are their supposed errors:

In one place in Acts the men with Paul did not hear the voice, in the orther they heard but didn't understand. Easy to explain.

In Matthew, the priests use the money Judas gave back to them to buy a field. In Acts Judas kills himself in a field he bought with the waves of iniquity. Also, easily explained: Judas was a thief! Any field he would buy would be from the wages of iniquity. But the field he bought has the same name as the one they bought, someone says. He bought the field with money that he had stolen earlier, and after he died the priests bought that same field - it was already defiled with blood which is why they used it to burry foreigners.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm a little lost on what was the errors they refered to as per your answer. Maybe I am looking too deep? Please list their referenced errors as #1, #2 with your refutal following each. Forgive me for being dense!!

God Bless..........Alex

PS: I'm reading through a book now and am trying to post as I go...........maybe this comes up later in the book??

4. Multimom

Multimom New Member

In my area, we are more likely to see members of the local Kingdom Hall (Jehovah's Witnesses) Than Mormans but we do have our share.

I got a book from the John Anchorberg Society and boy does it give you the quick low down on how to totally discredit them.

I used one on a group of JW's one day and for about 2 years after that, even if they were canvasing our neighborhood, they stayed away from our door.

5. Alex

Alex New Member

I'm hoping that even those we often see riding will be asked to visit so we can confront more and more. I think, at least, some will give it serious thought, and hopefully leave the LSD. The other point, is for those who just read these posts and are looking for a church. They will have advance warning.

The book I am reading is: Mormonism Unmasked by R. Philip Roberts. I will have to slowly add my post on this topic as I read the book. I hope all will eventually read all that is posted including any one elses input.

God Bless............Alex

6. Ephesians432

Ephesians432 New Member

BLOOD ATONEMENT
    "Man may commit certain grievous sins... that will place him beyond the reach of the atoning blood of Christ.... If these offenses are committed, then the blood of Christ will not cleanse them from their sins even though they repent. Therefore their only hope is to have their own blood shed to atone... (Doctrine of Salvation, Vol. 1, pp. 133-138)"

OOPS!

I John 1 : 9
    If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

By the way, the only Bible Mormons use is the King James Version; of course, they've added their own footnotes.

7. Ephesians432

Ephesians432 New Member

I'm totally lost on this, too. Can you help us out?

8. Alex

Alex New Member

I'm totally lost on this, too. Can you help us out?</font>[/QUOTE]It seems our friend is on vacation OR doesn't have a better way of posting his comment. I, like you, am somewhat at a loss as to his point. Maybe someone else can explain it???????

God Bless..............Alex

9. lizajane

lizajane New Member

Very timely topic for me!

My daughter has a friend who is a Mormom. I have befriended the mother. She tried very hard to convince me that LDS are the only true church. I am a curious person, and actually went with her to the church twice. On the surface, all seems marvellous and wonderful, but a little bit of research will reveal otherwise. The girls are still friends, and they often end up arguing about whose church is right. One thing I find amusing is that my daughter is always getting invited to this or that function at their church, but her daughter has never been allowed to come to church with us! The mother has given up on me, but I still like to study this strange cult. It makes for some very interesting reading. I look forward to reading more of your posts Alex.

10. Alex

Alex New Member

Sorry I haven't posted again. Bad health is a delay but will soon continue. It would be wise to NOT let your daughter continue there as they work very slowly and in a suttle manner when need be. I would challange them to come to your church OR no more to theirs. I haven't read this yet, but I belueve the are forbidden to attend ANY Protastant church. I have tried in the past, they would say OK BUT first to theirs. Never went!!

God Bless...........Alex

11. ken1burton

ken1burton Guest

Joseph Smith did not have a Xerox machine, so he took a 1611 KJV and invented "Cut and Paste".

Strange that an angel would translate golden plates in the 1800's to 1611 King James English. The Sermon on the Mount in Matthew is almost word for word in the Book of Mormons as Jesus was teaching in this new world (if your imagination is working)

The Mormons believe that Jesus is now in hell preaching. So they have others stand up for those in hell and are baptised in their place, as they believe there is no water in hell, and baptism is required for salvation.

The main point is the golden plates found in the 1800's were suppost to be written before Jesus went to the cross, so they are as Prophecies of what would happen then.

Great. Now I just got a letter in the mail, It was postmarked in 1939 but got lost behind a desk in a post office. It foretold in Detail the attack on Pearl Harbor. A great prophecy, just late in being told.

Sorry Mormons. Your 1800 prophecy for what would happen to Jesus in 29 ad is a very poor witness. And because the Mormons say it was written before 29 ad so they should be believed is a poor witness for Mormon truth.

Eternally joined in Marriage is against Scripture.
    (a hundreed years is a long time)

Jesus preahing now in hell is against Scripture. Jesus took them all out=Zec 9:11

God tells us BEFORE He does a thing.

The Nation of Israel was good at Geneology. None of the ones reported that excaped from Jerusalem and came to the Americans are seen in Jewish Geneology.

Last of all. I can write the book of Mormons myself, a piece of Cake, all you do is rip out all the pages of a 1611 King James Version Bible and throw them into the air. then write it down as you pick up the scattered pieces.

Little pieces of Truth is scattered in the Book of Mormons.

Bottom line: Tell them you already Have Jesus Christ, what can becoming a Mormon do for you. And if they say you get a real live prophet. Ask why that real live prophet got hit by a car? Didn't he foresee it?

ken1burton

12. lizajane

lizajane New Member

Yes, Alex, I agree. They do work quite subtlely. Since we have become Christians, she longer goes there, but still receives the invitations. Her friendship with the girl opens up many conversations for us about how they differ from Christians, and the truth of Christianity compared to the untruths of Mormonism. So, all in all, it has been a learning experience for all of us, and has given our daughter the wisdom not to accept all churches as they seem.

13. Promise

Promise New Member

Bottom line: Tell them you already Have Jesus Christ, what can becoming a Mormon do for you. And if they say you get a real live prophet. Ask why that real live prophet got hit by a car? Didn't he foresee it?

lololololol

14. Alex

Alex New Member

Hello, again........

Joseph Smith Creates a Religion At Age Thirteen:

During 1820, with a tremendous revival going on in his hometown, he became concerned as to which church he should join. The three main denominations there at that time were Methodists, Presbyterian and Baptist. His Mother, brother and sister were Presbyterian. Faced with a decision, he decided to ask God for the right church to attend. So he went into the wood s, alone, where he claims two personages clothed in brightness visited him, and called him by name. When he asked them which church to join, they said none, as they were all wrong and that all they stood for, was an abomination to God.

It is on this vision that Mormons view all other churches as wrong and their church as the only right one. Also, that no other church had the authority to baptize or act for God. They also say that those in this vision were God the Father and Jesus, both in physical bodies and therefore were totally separate God’s. This vision was in 1820 and was the first of two.

The second vision was in 1823(now at age 16). In this vision he claims that an Angel appeared to him saying that he was chosen by God to translate an ancient record HID IN A NEARBY HILL. This angel’s name was Moroni and was supposedly the last to record the events of his civilization. Smith was to meet with Moroni each September22nd until God felt it was time to let him see the records. The record was inscribed on a gold plate and in reformed Egyptian. On these plates it was said that Jesus visited the Americas after his crucifixion. Also it contained a history of a prophet named Lehi, who migrated from Jerusalem with his family around 600B.C., and brought civilization to the American continents. In other articles, it seems that this new “tribe” of Lehi had split and one became a pagan group that we now call, the American Indians. To translate these books God gave Smith two stones in silver bows to use. Without these, he couldn’t. They were called the Urim and Thummim. It was in 1827 that God finally let Smith translate the records (now at age nineteen). They were finally published in 1830, as The Book of Mormon. There are numerous problems with Smith’s account of his early life dealing with his visions and the final translation. But, more on that later.

God Bless……………….Alex

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give this a shot...

(I've talked with Mormons about these "errors" before.

Mormons will take Acts 9:7 (the men with Paul heard the voice but saw no one) and Acts 22:9 (the men with Paul did not "hear" the voice but saw the light) and say it's a contradiction. It has been years since I looked at the Greek, but the words translated "did not hear the voice" in 22:9 indicates that the men did not understand the voice -- that is, they may have heard a noise, but they did not understand what the voice was saying. Not really a contradiction, just a different way of describing the same scene.

I'm totally lost on this, too. Can you help us out?
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is one I haven't worried about... I think any answer you could give would be speculation, but there are several ways to easily resolve it. Judas hanged himself (Matthew 27:3, I think), but he did not necessarily do it immediately. Or possibly the field was previously purchased as Ephesians423 said. It would take much more than this to demonstrate an error.

NOTE: I am not of the "original manuscripts are inerrant" crowd. I believe we have a thoroughly reliable text for faith and practice today.

16. Robert J Hutton

Robert J Hutton New Member

Warm Christian greetings!

There is an excellent booklet outlining their errors called "The Visitors". It is published by Chick publications. Their web site is:

www.chick.com

Kind regards

Robert J Hutton

17. Fatherof4

Fatherof4 Guest

Ephesians432 stated:
    I'm totally lost on this, too.

To which Don now replies:
    So I'm not the only one!

18. Alex

Alex New Member

Thanks Robert!! Feel free to add anything to this thread as you see fit. The same applies to others. Your added input is greatly appreciated, even from those who are Mormons. I have had to slow down as I now have five threads to engage in. Kinda overloaded myself. :confused:

God Bless.............Alex

[ June 26, 2002, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Alex ]

19. ken1burton

ken1burton Guest

Chick tracts? That is like Hate in a pamplet.

I have also read the Scripture where Judas was called a Thief. I don't believe it.

Judas had the money bag. Jesus said how a person was suppost to give alms.

(MATTHEW 6:1) Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. (KJV)
    (MATTHEW 6:2) Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (KJV)
    (MATTHEW 6:3) But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: (KJV)

Here is the Paraphrase. Maybe this will shed a little light:

Judas, when you give alms out of the bag. You are not to tell Peter, or John or any other. Let them not know what you gave, even if they think you are stealing the money.

God's law required TWO witnesses, Not one. and there is only one witness and I noticed the witness has no actual account of Judas stealing, Just a accusation.

ken1burton