1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormons are crazy

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by The Harvest, Feb 19, 2003.

1. RomOne16

RomOne16 New Member

I agree with Kelly here. If you have the attitude that the person you're witnessing to is a nutcase, then you aren't going to treat them with the love and respect that a person, for whom Christ died, should be treated. We should be very careful not to let our fleshly feelings and prejudices get in the way of being used of God. I include myself in that statement because God isn't finished with me yet. I still have a long way to go. ;)

Edited to add this: To the Harvest; I have no intention of starting a thread "on how much of a jerk" you might be. It's against the posting rules. [​IMG] But in all seriousness, had you entitled your post more appropriately, (such as Mormon theology is crazy) you probably wouldn't have heard from me as I am not an expert on their theology. What I do know of I totally disagree with though. Have a wonderful day. [​IMG]

[ February 19, 2003, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Mom-O-Five ]

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What do I tell them? Well, the first time I talked to them I ended up joining them. :eek: Since then I learned quite a bit, and would talk to them more often if the stake president hadn't banned them from my address.
    What WAS working? Lots and lots of discussion and prayer with them. You're not going to drive a lifetime of mind control from them in a five minute discussion in front of your door, although if that's all you can do present the gospel in a nutshell and maybe one day it'll register.
    What I suggest is that you don't talk to them for long if you don't know how, simply present the way to salvation and be done with it. You DON'T know how if you haven't studied their doctrines.
    I know a few of you will be hopping up and down saying "just telling them Jesus died on the cross is good enough", and it is good, but it won't get you far because they believe he did too.
    Time, patience, pray with them, feed them. For real, make them dinner or lunch or whatever, those missionaries are usually short on money and missing home. Don't give them a bunch of Baptist literature to read, give them their own literature and point out flaws and inaccuracies. And for goodness sake know the book of Hebrews inside and out! [​IMG]
    Gina

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormonism is an exceedingly false, pagan, vile and totally evil religious cult that borrows some terms and language of christianity.

It's members who are active (many are not well informed, just sucked in as dupes with the slick pro-family ads) are as DANGEROUS AS RATTLESNAKES and out here in Wyoming, we treat them the same.

To wish "God speed" (good day) to a Mormon is tantamount to joining them. As a Baptist, I am amazed at the "goody goody" attitude on this baptist-only forum that would not want to bash mormonism.

Hello? PRAISE GOD FOR BASHING A FALSE RELIGION LIKE MORMONISM

[Remember, love the people caught in its evil web. And such were some of us. But hate and fight with every ounce this pernicious false teaching.]

4. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

thanks gina. that's good advice.

Dr Bob, this is a whole new side of you that I've never seen before, and I like it! :D While I stated earlier that I had no intention here of bashing mormons, I have no trouble bashing the mormon religion itself. Mormonism is a vile religion that is taking millions of people to hell and making a few of its leaders very very wealthy. So amen Dr Bob!

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons aren't usually crazy, but they're horribly deceived by a false religion that will ultimately destroy them.

As far as witnessing to Mormons, I don't get to do it much, but I do treat them as people that Jesus loves and look for opportunities to chat about spiritual things. It's usually not very hard to get a Mormon to talk about their faith, so I ask them questions, patiently listen to what they have to say and then respond according to what I hear.

In my experience, there is a surprising variety of doctrine among Mormons, no doubt that some of it has filtered in from converts of Christian denominations that haven't studied their cult doctrine carefully.

Often I'll find something that the Mormon believes that is inconsistent with Mormon teaching, but consistent with Christianity and affirm them in their opinion. (Instead of trying to get them to convince them of my religious views, I affirm views they already hold. They are less likely to deny their own convictions.)Then I'll use that over the course of multiple conversations to show that their belief is correct and tie it to Christian teaching.

WARNING: You need to have a clear understanding of official Mormon doctrine and a pretty good grasp of basic Christian doctrine. You'll also need to be very comfortable with a KJV Bible, since they allegedly believe it is inspired. You also need to make a commitment to befriending the Mormon and being there when their cultic faith system is on the edge of collapse. They will need the support of good friends to support them when the stake turns against them.

6. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I had four Mormon missionaries in my church Sunday night past. They are coming with a degree of regularity, although it is different people each time. They hear the gospel, and leave. Our folks are friendly towards them, as we are to any lost people. Does anyone else have visiting Mormon missionaries come by their church? Does anyone know WHY they are visiting my church in particular? I know our folks witness to them on the doors and invite them, but I doubt (maybe I shouldn't) that their (i.e. the mormon missionaries) motives are pure. What do you think?

7. Rick Sr.

Rick Sr. New Member

Their motives are not pure! They are there to try to get their foot in the door of the people that are not ground well in their faith. What happens is, they see a person at the church, then they meet them when they are doing their door to door activities, they say,"Hey, I saw you at so-so Baptist church Sunday night". These people, usually, will say,"Oh yeah, come on in". And before you know it they have presented and won someone to their pagan belief.
    They have motives for visiting your church, most of the new members of mormonism were once aligned with the Baptist faith.
    Our church kindly asks them to leave. I agree this is not the best way to handle presenting the Gospel to them, but, it protects our members who aren't as grounded in their faith as they should be.
    Also, if you will notice, the mormons try to really impress the children, so be careful. Rick Sr. :eek:

8. TheOliveBranch

TheOliveBranch New Member

As far as I can figure, their only intention when they come for a study, is to get you into their "crazy" religion. They don't waste time on those that have any Bible knowledge or faithfulness in a Baptist Church.

9. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I don't think anyone here has advocated promoting mormonism, or letting it slide as truth. What we've objected to is calling mormons themselves crazy. They're deceived, which I certainly don't see as being crazy. And even so, what good purpose does it possibly serve to call any other religion crazy, and particularly calling its followers crazy? We can call something wrong and call people deceived without using such a derogatory term as crazy, and that is, I think, what some of us were trying to express here. Dr. Bob.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    crazy

adj 1: affected with madness or insanity; "a man who had gone mad" [syn: brainsick, demented, distracted, disturbed, mad, sick, unbalanced, unhinged]

2: (informal) foolish; totally unsound; "an impractical solution"; "a crazy scheme"; "half-baked ideas"; "a screwball proposal without a prayer of working" [syn: half-baked, screwball, softheaded]

3: marked by foolish or unreasoning fondness; "she was crazy about him"; "gaga over the rock group's new album"; "he was infatuated with her" [syn: dotty, gaga, enamored, infatuated, in love, smitten, soft on(p), taken with(p)]

4: (informal) possessed by inordinate excitement; "the crowd went crazy"; "was crazy to try his new bicycle"

5: bizarre or fantastic; "had a crazy dream"; "wore a crazy hat"

6: (informal) intensely enthusiastic about or preoccupied with; "crazy about cars and racing" n : someone deranged and possibly dangerous [syn: loony, looney, weirdo]

Survey says....... 4 out of 6 definitions prove that Mormons are in fact crazy!

Of course we shouldn't treat them unkindly. But to deny their madness is dangerous. They are an aggressive, mind-control cult.

11. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I work with 2 very solid mormons. nice guys and hard workers. Great co workers. I have shown a genuine interest in their beliefs and have shown that I have read and studied their religion. when our conversations get going I always point out where the mormons have strong suits, and the main differences between religions. Their mission/evangelism focus is impressive... But salvation is purely by grace. I am just modelling the lifestyle. And I always offer the plan of Salvation, according to the 1 true GOD.

12. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

We had some mormon "missionaries" come to a revival service at our church last fall. I guess they usually come at least once every revival we have. They were really quiet and didn't sing any of the hymns or anything. But they sure got an earful!

13. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

I can't believe it, but Scott and I are on the same team here! [​IMG]

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Maybe someone is inviting them, or maybe they want to learn more about what your denom believes so they can argue against it better. Or maybe they just want a break from their church. [​IMG]
    They do have to have permission from leadership to come to your church, and they're required to wear their witnessing clothes and nametags, so it's not likely they're sneaking away quietly to hear the word. Whatever the case, it's good for them to hear the truth, whatever their motives for being there might be. [​IMG]
    Gina

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, Gina, it is much more likely that they are "gathering intelligence." It's the fact that it's differing people each time that leads me to believe this.

That, and my own personal experiences with the Mormons, having also been one for a while at one time.

In the area I currently live, the tactic was to come into a church, sit for the sermon, and then attempt to engage the pastor immediately after the service, in full view of all the members, in a "discussion."

My pastor, being an older, wiser man, simply told them, "Not here."

Give ya two guesses as to why they'd attempt to use that tactic.

Oh, and it is good that they're coming in and hearing the truth.

16. Mitsy

Mitsy New Member

I've done extensive research on the Mormon faith. Although I consider myself pretty liberal, what I have found is that the Mormon faith is based upon the plagerized Book of Mormon which was written by a mortal man (Joseph Smith) who decided that God "revealed to him" that he was to take more than one wife...this was AFTER he was already having affairs with his friends' wives. This man was a soundrel to say the least. BUT, his teachings and writings are what the Mormon faith is based on. There are many other weird beliefs of this group..too numerous to mention. Pull up some web sites and you can learn a lot about a cult that masquerades as a "christian" church. Many of their people are duped into believing it's really a "christian" church, but if you look at their belief system, it's about as far off as some of the more controversial cult groups that make the news.

17. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't believe it, but Scott and I are on the same team here! [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Yep.... and it felt so good I'd like to do it again. Where else are you posting besides the versions forum? :D :D :D

18. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Stubborn Kelly has got it right, and I happily support her comments.

Mormons are wrong ... and so is every other non-christian I know. They all need to see the wonder of God and salvaton in Christ. Mormon, Moslim, Jew, Hindu, Shinto, Animist .. whatever ... they need Christ - and we are His witnesses. Let us be clear about the truth, but not in words only . actions count as part of our witness.

Regards
    Bob

19. The Harvest

The Harvest New Member

[​IMG] not many right now. pretty much just this one and the United Nations one. see you around (but not in versions anymore, i'm tired of that [​IMG] ).

20. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jimmy Carter once said that Baptists don't need to waste their time witnessing to Mormons about salvation :confused: