1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Most accurate translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Feb 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The authors (because if one writer wrote this he or she writes contradictory things) are all over the place. On the chart showing very free on the right and formal on the left GWT is listed as quite far to the left -- when it should be to the right of the NIV and even the NLT.
    The authors put the Phillips in the category of word-for-word and then label it free.
    The NET is listed as word-for-word when it is really a hybrid of functional and form-oriented.

On and on I could go. It's all mixed up --facts and fiction.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church in which I was saved hosted the largest independent Baptist seminary in our facilities. Many of the professors and the President of the school were part of the church. They taught (in the 50's) that the 1901 ASV was by far the best translation in English. Many verses were used in ASV1901 and KJV1769 ("old" Scofield Reference Bible).

I carried a 1901 ASV to college in the 60's. That was adapted into the New ASB of today, so very familiar with it. I now use ESV as it is consistently accurate AND much more readable.

Appreciate the article and its generally-accurate evaluation of translations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    You must have only glanced at the article; unless the word 'accurate' now means inaccurate. :)

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your opinion. Mine was to view the chart and translations left-right and see it as "generally-accurate" (which, of course, does NOT mean "accurate" - modifiers are words with meaning)

Your attack on my opinion does nothing for the discussion and only demeans yourself in not understanding someone could actually see something differently than you do. Evidently, you do not like the NET being included with the more conservative. I do. Okay. You're right to feel that way. And MY right to feel the way I do.

The big issue I have is the KJV being listed so far "conservative" when it was the government/denomination version to the destruction of many passages. It has confused generations with error. That's MY opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Come on. You have to grow thicker skin. I did not attack. I expressed a view counter to yours.

I love the NET Bible. I have the 2003 edition. I refer to it often. But the NET Bible is not on the extreme left. It does not belong there. No other chart I know has ever placed it there. It's usually to the right (these charts always have the freer versions to the right) of even the NIV. And you honestly believe the NET is much more formally-oriented than the CSB?

You need to elaborate about what you think "Conservative" means with respect to Bible translations. This subject isn't political you know. So it should not be constructed as Conservative vs. Liberal. It's a matter of the more form-centered versions on the left side of the ledger and the more functional ones on the right. I think the middle ground is best in which a balance is struck between formal and functional. In other words a blending. The mediating translations would be the NIV, CSB, NJB, NABRE etc. The old Modern Language Bible would occupy this ground as would the Norlie and Weymouth. The Phillips would be on the far right but not as extreme as The Message certainly.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting topic. But a disappointing article.
    We all want an accurate translation of the word of God. We can safely say God knows His own word He gave us. The problem being we cannot agree. And you would think we could.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  9. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or its cousin, LSD. They (and you) shouldn't use abbreviations for the McArthur Bible.

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not? LSB is what it says right on the spine of my Bible. KJV, NASB, CSB, all fine, bit LSB is not? Do explain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was joking around. LSB sounds very much like LSD. It's that 'e-sound' at the end. It applies to the LSB, LSC, LSD and LSE.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 1901 ASV is the American revision of the RV. The RSV is the authorized revison of the ASV.

John 1:18, ASV, "No man hath seen God at any time; the
    only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."
    The ASV footnote reads: "Many very ancient authorities read God only begotten."
    [The "many" being only a total of 4 "very ancient" mss 5th century or older] [With other mss, that reading is only 0.3% of mss of John] Ref NA & F35GNT.

John 1:18, NASB, "No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him."

John 1:18, KJV, "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

That reading "the only begotten Son" is 99% of the mss of John, per the F35GNT note.

#13 37818, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

The Lsb looks like a really good translation, and is there any Asv 1901 being published today?

• Like Like x 1
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in the late 1800's those few Greek Manuscripts were older than any previously examined . They way overvalued them. We now know that almost all variations began in the 2nd century and so their all old.

But we have no excuses in todays time to be fooled by inferior, non original readings. True some are hard to decide when the evidence is split. But there is no reason to go with .3% of manuscripts against a diverse and excellent 99%.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Best seems to be to take the Critical Greek text, and also look at the TR and MT for the few times they seemed to have the better rendering!

17. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which critical text? The F35GNT is a critial text. I think for you to understand how and why it is. You would have to at the very least read and understand the arguments in the "Identity of the New Testament text, IV" by Wilbur N. Pickering.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Conan

Conan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent advise! Make sure Servant of the Lord Jesus to get the newest 4th edition. Excellent information contained in it. No one will agree on everything, but there are solid facts contained within. Facts known since the 1800's that are not always talked about by modern critics.

19. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't quite follow you. Are you talking about textual variants? Instead of speaking of Greek manuscripts, are you talking about papyri , majuscules, or the minuscules? Should as much weight (value) be placed on material from the 11th to 15th centuries, as opposed to the 4th and 5th primarily?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.