1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most churches KJVO or no?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Refreshed, Dec 29, 2003.

?
  1. Most IFB churches are KJVO

87.5%
  2. Most IFB churches are non-KJVO

12.5%
  3. Churches that are KJVO cannot be Independent Fundamental Baptist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a poll to see what the consensus is on KJVO Independent Fundamental Baptist Churches versus non-KJVO IFB Churches in terms of numbers.

Vote your conscience [​IMG]

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Do you mean that only use the KJV for teaching/preaching for whatever reason, or something stronger than that?

3. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean a church that takes a stand that the KJV is the only Bible for English speaking people and that all other versions are corrupt at best and evil at worst.

Jason

4. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

approx 90% of the IFB churches here where I live use excusively the KJV1769. I know only of two IFB Pastors who preach out of the NJKV, me and a GARB (I guess he counts, right?)If there are others, I am not aware of them. I do know of two Ruckmanite Pastors here in Queens. The one I've actually met is dogmatic, however, even though he knows my position, he tolerates me...shakes my hand when we meet, etc

5. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

Let me say that my church stands on the authority of the King James Bible. We use no other Bible.

Do we stand behind the pulpit shoveling it down your throat, absolutely not. Do we thank God for his inspired, preserved, infallible word? YES SIR!

We believe that this is a choice that you have to make, and that the Holy Spirit will guide you to that decision, but we would be glad to try to answer any questions that you may have.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Casper we have 22 Baptist churches. Half are SBC, 2 American Baptist, and 9 independent.

None of the SBC would be typical KJVO (think only two use the KJV1769 as norm).

Neither ABC would be.

3 of the independents are Ruckman style; 5 would use the KJV basically from the pulpit but not be ONLY by any definition. 1 would use many versions.

So we are 3 out of 22 as in "only" sect. And I'd say we're typical.

7. LauraB

LauraB New Member

My church uses the KJVO to teach, preach, or do whatever. As Homebound said, we do not shove it down anyones throat, but we make it known that it is the only Bible we will use there. We beleive it is the only true english version of God's inspired words.

I IFB and proud of it!

8. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

At my IFB church, we use the KJV 1611 only. We try and make sure another version doesn't even enter in the doors. We don't exactly shove it down people's throats, but sometimes it seems that way- we make an EXTREMELY strong stand for this Bible version at our church, and I like it that way. If you believe in ONE Bible only, then you might as well promote it that way. [​IMG]

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

In both my home church in Alabama and in the church we are planting here we use only the KJV but do not make any kind of issue over it.

10. 2Timothy4:1-5

2Timothy4:1-5 New Member

previously posted.......

just out of curiosity, what does your church do if, for example, someone with a NIV or NASB shows up at your door? Do you show the love of Christ and let them come in anyway, or do you give them the "left foot of fellowship" and drive them off?

Kenneth

11. Watchman

Watchman New Member

This is no big deal, but I doubt it is the 1611. You better look at the front of these Bibles; it allmost certainly is the 1769, the one most widely in circulation today. This is another interesting querk in the KJVO1611 dogma: the 1611 is not even the one they use!
    The KJV is an excellent Bible, but I am more and more convinced that the NKJV is an update worth looking at. For example: is the love of money THE root of all evil? Did love of money inspire Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, etel? The NKJV makes the right corrrection: the root of all kinds of evil. There are other corrections, such as getting rid of the dreadful word EASTER and replacing it, correctly, with Passover. Also, only the Old English spoke Old English. We do not.

[ December 30, 2003, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Watchman ]

12. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watchman - I believe the language in the KJV would be considered early modern English, or Elizabethan English. Also, it was a court language. People didn't really talk that way. Take a look at the Geneva Bible sometime.

Jason

13. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, so far, it's split right down the middle (one more vote for non-KJVO). There were a couple of wackos that said the KJVO position disqualifies a church from being Independent Fundamental. To each their own. Keep voting.

Jason :D

14. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I'd be comfortable in a church which uses the KJV exclusively and isn't continually correcting it from the pulpit.

I also wouldn't avoid people based soley on version they use, since I don't think the superiority of any particular version can be proved 100%. I think an excellent case can be made for the KJV, and I accept in on faith as God's preserved word in English, but I allow others their (wrong [​IMG] ) opinions. I think an even better case can be made for the texts underlying the KJV, since I think these more obviously tie in with God's promises of preservation.

I would leave a church that claims one can only be saved by reading/hearing the KJV, or one that labels all KJVO as heretics, not fundamental, not Christain, etc.

15. russell55

russell55 New Member

When my parents visited their local IFB church a few years back, they were met by the "version inspector" at the door. He actually wanted to see their Bibles before they went into the church! My dad was only carrying his Greek NT, and that was confusing to the inspector, but he did let them in....

(I'm not sure this guy was representing the church in any official way, or was just some sort of uncontrolled zealot.)

My local IFB is KJVO. We used to have neighbors who went to that church. Our kids were the neighborhood kids they liked for their kids to play with, because our kids were the ones being raised in a similar way. They had taught their kids to call all the adults from their church by the titles "sister" or "brother", as in Sister Mary or Brother Tom, but whenever a child slipped up in her presence and called me "Sister", the mom would correct them. I guess she thought it was impossible for someone to be a "Sister" if they went to another Baptist church and used the NASV.

So I guess both IFB churches I've been exposed to up close and personal are KJVO. I don't feel I am experienced enough with the issue to vote in the poll though. 2 does not a trend make......

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Since we are discussing extremes (version inspectors) thought I would mention an extreme.

I know persoanlly of a church that during VBS gives points to kids for bringing their Bibles. The hitch? They don't get points unless they bring a KJV!!

Is there logic in that?

17. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

That modern versions are pointless. Get it?!?POINT-less. HAHAHA!

Uh, nevermind....

[​IMG]

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Now THAT was funny Tim. [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Tim1769, the KJV hit the presses with thousands of alternatives in the margins and references to the Apocrypha.

Later the KJB committees continually corrected the King James Bible.

Why not carry on in their tradition?

Question:
    What would happen in a KJVO Church if the Pastor preached from a real 1611 Bible and then exposited from the Apocrypha from an apocryphal text referenced by the KJV translators in the margin?

Another question for the Bible examiners:

Would I be allowed in a KJVO Church where Bibles are inspected with my Nelson 1611 First Edition KJB facsimile which has the RCC Apocrypha?

How about if I brought my old missal (prayer book for the mass)?

HankD

20. Pastor KevinR

Pastor KevinR New Member

HankD, your logic further demonstrates the inconsistencies of the KJVO's [​IMG]