1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most churches KJVO or no?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Refreshed, Dec 29, 2003.

?
  1. Most IFB churches are KJVO

87.5%
  2. Most IFB churches are non-KJVO

12.5%
  3. Churches that are KJVO cannot be Independent Fundamental Baptist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Can't argue with that! [​IMG]

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, judging by the results of the poll 11/11/4, I draw these conclusions.

Half think there are more KJVO IFB churches, the other half don't. 4/26 Independent Baptists believe KJVO churches aren't IFB...an extremely marginal 15 percent (a little editorializing here), and I believe it would go down even further with a wider range of people voting.

Jason

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

And if people were informed, they would have all voted that KJVO was outside of fundamentalism.

4. mioque

mioque New Member

There are IFB churches scattered allover the planet. Many of them conduct their bussines in a language other than English. This factor heavily favors the non-KJVO side.

5. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry Moique, I didn't take into consideration our non-English speaking brothers and sisters when doing this poll. I should have specified in English-speaking churches.

Jason

6. Watchman

Watchman New Member

I stand corrected Jason, thanks.

7. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jason, it might be interesting to know what part of the country people are voting from. I know that here in Dayton, OH, it is very hard to find an IFB that is not KJVO - thus my vote was reflected by that. But, in other parts of the country I know that this is not true.

Michael

8. Watchman

Watchman New Member

David, I think my pastor is as fundamental as they come and he is adamently KJVO, the only point on which we part company.
    I would think that most KJVO's have the view that the King James is the best ENGLISH translation, but do not go so far as to believe, or teach, that the KJV is above the original languages.
    That would be heritical and is not the position our pastor takes.
    IMHO labeling these people as not being fundamentalists is unfair.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Most churches on them are KJV preferred more than the KJVO.

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

If the NASB omitted the doctrine of the Trinity on 1 John 5:7, you can't call yourself a fundamentalist.

11. Askjo

Askjo New Member

LOL! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

It didn't omit anything. Of course, biblical doctrine isn't founded on one verse anyway.

Erasmus did NOT include this in his first two editions of the TR. Only after pressure from (where else - the RCC), did he back translate and add it in. So much for the KJVO idea of preservation. Pardon me while I try and recover from busting another rib.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

"I didn't take into consideration our non-English speaking brothers and sisters when doing this poll. I should have specified in English-speaking churches."
    Don't bother Refreshed, Homebound would no doubt have claimed that those who don't speak English in church aren't true Christians anyway.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    askjo, while I believe 1 John 5:7 is Scripture, where in the world do you get this idea?

Chapter and verse please?

A fundamentalist can be a Trinitarian without accepting 1 John 5:7 as authoritative.

Shouldn't you have said "in my opinion"...

HankD

15. superdave

superdave New Member

That is funny, yet it really isn't

There really are those who are carrying KJVonlyism to other cultures and languages as insane as that may sound. I have heard of several translation projects in obscure languages that the missionaries involved are translating from the English KJV to the languages of their field. In some cases, they legitimately do not have a good translation that is properly done, but making another poor translation for a third language won't solve that. Not only is that ridiculous from a translation standpoint, but it automatically makes me question whether any of the missionaries teaching depends on the Bible, or whether they are teaching their converts a man-centered non-intellectual philosophy.

It is unfortunate that more languages do not have translations from the original as good as the several we have in English, but you lose enough meaning between the originals and English, to add another layer can only get more distant from the original intent of the author.

16. IfbReformer

IfbReformer New Member

The church we attend in Southeastern Michigan is one of the largest IFB churches in our area. They were using the KJV before their new Pastor came I think about 13 years ago. When he came he was fresh out of seminary and had decided he was going to use the NIV with his church.

He just started preaching and reading from it and eventually most of the congregation switched over to the NIV. It really is a breath of fresh air that someone who is so fundamental on the truths of the scriptures also cares about the the Bible being presented in the common language of the day.

By the way, the church had I think around 300 when he started and now has 3 services each Sunday in a new building with a total of about 1700 each week in attendance.

IFBReformer

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

askjo, while I believe 1 John 5:7 is Scripture, where in the world do you get this idea?

Chapter and verse please?

A fundamentalist can be a Trinitarian without accepting 1 John 5:7 as authoritative.

Shouldn't you have said "in my opinion"...

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]God said, "Let us..." Is this not the doctrine of the trinity? The Bible did not say, "Gods ..."

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    askjo, you are a constant perplexity.

I say something and you come back with something else close to but not addressing my inquiry.

But no matter, some seem to have that problem with me. [​IMG]

But yes, Genesis Chapters 2:26 and 3:22 proves that "YHVH-Elohim" is more than one person but yet one God.

Genesis 3
    22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
    23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

19. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

IFB...KKJV Preferred...with a lot of respect for the NASB. My church had this near church splitting debate around thirty years ago. What God said won (originals as final authority)...What somebody said God said (all translations)lost. I know, it's confusing, but we just do the best we can to try and understand what God said and with the influence of the Holy Spirit, let preachers, authors, and experience teach us what it all means.