1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Most drinkers are moderate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why don't you stop screaming and ignore the thread if you don't want to talk about it?

Or better yet why don't you try to make an argument in support of or against the SUBJECT Of THE THREAD- which I think is the GENERAL IDEA of this thing?

I preach Jesus in my pulpit CONSTANTLY.

This is a debate site and the members are not parishioners of a church. They are supposed to be knowledgeable Christians who seek to work out difficult issues through debate.

This segment of the site is called Baptist DEBATE forums. That kind of gives one the impression that what's generally supposed to go on here is DEBATE.

Demanding that what we do on baptistboard be what we do in our church ministries- particularly our pulpit ministries- is a bit silly, in my opinion.

#21 Luke2427, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  2. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not screaming. My argument is this: More about Jesus, less about
    beer. That is what this world needs.

Again, done with this thread. I stopped posting in your other myriad of
    beer promos.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

There really ought to be a rule against this kind of thing, in my opinion.

Each post ought to make an argument concerning the OP or at least be an item of fellowship RELATED to the OP.

I find your popping in here and sniping to be inflammatory and insulting and I love how people who do this kind of thing lecture ME on civility.

Your post insinuates that I do not preach Jesus.

Your post assumes that all we are supposed to debate on here is stuff directly related to the person of Jesus.

Then you, I think pompously, rebuke me like you are my mother and I am some child to be corrected.

I think that's silly and unspeakably presumptuous.

#23 Luke2427, Sep 12, 2012
  4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you been drinking?

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Why?

______

6. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The quoted post reads like it was composed by someone who has been drinking.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No it doesn't.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The anger and aggressiveness expressed in your post makes one wonder if you have. That, and that you avoid answering the question.

Suit yourself.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Here are some stats that address what you ask for:

So if there are roughly 250 million people in America 12 years old and older and HALF of them drink that's roughly 175 million drinkers.

Out of roughly 175 million drinkers only 17.6 million are alcoholics.

So the stat is consistent with other nations and the world trends. About NINETY PERCENT of people who drink in America are NOT ALCOHOLICS.

So when a preacher preaches that there is this TERRIBLE danger for the Christian who only ever wants to drink moderately- it's bull.

Of the 17.6 million alcoholics- how many of them do you suppose NEVER SET OUT TO DRINK MODERATELY? Most of them, if not ALL of them, SET OUT TO party hard and hang at bars with drunks and get soused.

THAT'S how you become an alcoholic- not by drinking moderately only with other people who drink moderately.

The teetotalism danger myth is a farce.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No. I have not.

Do you have a point?

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My point:

You seem to be angry and looking for a fight with your recent threads about alcohol, to the point that one wonders what's behind it.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I'm always looking for a fight against phariseeism.

I think we are supposed to. (Note that phariseeism is a philosophy- THAT'S what we are to fight against. I'm not fighting people- I'm fighting against their philosophy)

I honestly think it is very clear that preaching that the moderate consumption of alcohol is a sin is phariseeism.

And I grew up hearing that if you set out to drink moderately you are playing with fire- that chances are you are going to become a drunkard.

The stats prove unequivocally that that is just utterly false.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I will admit that I have no use for alcohol, seen to much bad from it. I will also say two men I know have a glass of scotch each day before supper and one after supper, and they are fine Christian men.
    A small sampler of why I don't care for drink;
    3 wrecks in my front yard, one had a death, one the driver lost his leg and the other just messed up the car and my yard.
    I have lost 2 family members due to being hit by a DWI driver.
    I had a DWI driver kill her self by hitting my trailer while I was parked.
    Over the last 10 years I have seen two pastors, 5 youth pastors and 5 ministers of music get DWI's down here. That isn't a good picture of the church.
    But with that said, I believe for you to drink or not is your call not mine and not to drink would be like wise.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So let me get this straight....you believe that by starting threads on a forum on the internet you are "fighting against phariseeism?" :laugh:

How is that working for ya?

Are you done yet? :laugh:

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never heard any preacher say that you are VERY LIKELY to become an alcoholic if you take one drink. I have heard many times that the person that takes their first drink never think they will become an alcoholic.

So....
    **Moderator note** Implanted icons cannot exceed size of BB logo

Also, considering the outcomes of what alcoholism does to people, a 10% rate of alcoholism is edging into the dangerous area. I say this as a moderate drinker. Your arguments aren't convincing. Please stop it, I don't want you on my side of this issue.

#35 InTheLight, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2012
  16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Have you considered purchasing a mirror?

17. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That fact many people drink on a regular basis does not logically support the reasoning in an argument that it is not harmful or should be used.

The stating from the Op that 95% do not become “alcoholics” is being based on a biased ambiguous term and does not logically support the reasoning in an argument that it is not harmful or should be used.

If one can’t “easily” stop drinking starting tomorrow and cannot continue to not drink comfortably for an extended amount of time and be able live without becoming emotionally stressed because of this action then there is significant merit to that they are indeed struggling at a level of addiction to alcohol that would fit my definition of one being an alcoholic.

Out of the many people that I could observe and recognize as having the stereotypical characteristics of a regular drinker before any word about alcohol is mentioned I would guess that less than 5% would consider themselves an alcoholic. Again:

My religious belief does not advocate that one should not drink at all. But my values which come from religious beliefs do often separate my definition from others when it comes to defining “moderate” use of alcohol because of the obvious influences on one’s nature, their spirit - their reasoning and judgment being altered and coming from this substance which, believe or not, I have come to recognize. What I would consider common sense is that alcohol is abused in the world at epidemic proportions and that is enough to speak out against and warn of its use.

I would not be pharisaical about warning others not to drink or dogmatic about the Bible saying it is a sin but even if someone else is preaching such it does not justify the use of alcohol in any way nor does such take away from that the obvious harmful, life altering effects should honestly be considered by every individual. Much more personal responsibility should be expected to come from a Christian in this matter, especially a leader of the flock in this area in that he has been practically informed and wanting to bring about and teach how to achieve the healthiest results rather than be motivated to be acting to condone his own ways or possible – and obviously probable shortcomings. I am very understanding that pastors are human like everyone else but I do expect them to strive for a higher standard and to try to present a good and reasonable example in how to achieve excellence.

#37 Benjamin, Sep 12, 2012
  18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

For clarity's sake, I have two questions. First: Define phariseeism in your own words. Second: As pertains specifically to the subject of alcohol consumption, what is your standard for judgement to determine if someone is practicing phariseeism?

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

In a nutshell: teaching for doctrines the traditions of men.

When one takes a tradition, which is what teetotalism is, and it is a very NEW tradition, one the church did not embrace for the better part of two THOUSAND years- and they proclaim it as though it is a doctrine taught in the Word of God- that is phariseeism.

There is one more factor- it has to do with practice. It has to do with what you should do and what you should not do. It is not just a teaching like a theological matter between Arminians and Calvinists- it is an expectation concerning how you are to live.

I am a Calvinist. But I do not think Arminianism is phariseeism. Arminianism is a genuine attempt to systematize complex doctrines of Scripture.

Phariseeism is a doctrine, not about how you understand God necessarily, though it does touch that, it is primarily about what is right and wrong TO DO.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Ben, this is just your definition versus the definition of those who are trained to and make a living defining such things.

The World Health Organization says indicates that above 95 percent of people who drink do not have a drinking problem.

It is not at epidemic proportions. It simply is not.

Heart disease is WAY more deadly than alcohol in this country.

But we simply don't hear the preaching against HDL that we hear against alcohol.

The higher standard argument is not applicable. You don't just get to arbitrarily pick standards by which you hold pastors accountable to.

You say, "I expect pastors not to drink ANY alcohol because I expect them to hold to a higher standard."

Another might say, "I expect pastors not to have sex because I expect them to hold a higher standard."

Another might say, "I expect pastors to wear robes in public because I expect them to hold a higher standard."

The higher standard thing is arbitrary.

God sets the standards that pastors ought to hold to highly. Not Benji.

You see?

#40 Luke2427, Sep 12, 2012