1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Most drinkers are moderate

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

First of all 5%.

Try to follow along more closely, please.

Secondly, of the 5% who have a problem I think most thinking people know that many if not most of them NEVER SET OUT TO drink moderately and that's how they BECAME alcoholics. They SET OUT TO party hard nearly every weekend, etc...

Therefore, the percentage of Christian people who SET OUT TO DRINK MODERATELY and therefore become alcoholics MUST be infinitesimal.

Maybe 1 in a million. Doubtful though.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The horror stories you site are the result of ABUSE not moderate USE.

No one here is for ABUSE.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Still sniping like a petulant child.

You haven't made an argument yet.

You are simply bitter because you CAN'T so you vent by being insulting.

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

And what is your opinion of those who have formed the conviction that Alcohol consumption is wrong and base their belief on what they see as evidenced in Scripture?

5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

You just add fuel to the fire with "sniping" like this.

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Be consistent and condemn BOTH sides.

Quote her post and condemn her actions as you do mine.

Otherwise you are not being PRINCIPLED here- you are just attacking the one you like the least which is just as bad.

Stand on principle or don't stand.

Do you not agree?

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think he was pointing out your hypocrisy. Why are you not embarrassed to post something like this?

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#1- It is not IN Scripture.

This is why the church at large for EIGHTEEN HUNDRED years did not embrace such nonsense.

It's not like the Christians of the prohibition era were the first smart Christians and the vast majority of Christians before them were all a bunch of drunken morons.

Do you see?

The book of Proverbs is the only book in all of the Bible where you could even BEGIN to try to proof text this teetotalism doctrine.

And EVERY responsible handler of the Word of God knows that you don't build doctrine on the foundation of Proverbs.

Proverbs are not precepts. Therefore proverbs cannot be used to condemn anything across the board.

The only exception to this is when something in Proverbs is handled as a precept elsewhere in Scripture.

#2- I don't have a problem with ignorance on this issue. I have a problem with arrogance. When you DON'T know how to interpret Scripture and you DON'T know that teetotalism is a fad in Christian history without roots down through history anchoring in the Scripture- when you DON'T know these things and you STILL have the audacity to PREACH your doctrine anyway- that's what I have a problem with.

It is UNBRIDLED ARROGANCE.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

like what?
    ____

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As is the op

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enough said I suppose. Thanks for answering my questions with clarity.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Do you have an argument or are you just an angry man with a beef?

Any coward can attack and snipe from a distance and act like he has the moral high ground.

It takes courage to make arguments and submit your thinking to scrutiny.

Any child can get on here like you do and say "You are POO POO HEAD!!!"

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <Shrugs>....Will do.

So you just make stuff up in your head and pronounce it as truth? Must be a nice way to live.

14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Well, as you do, how about trying to start with the OP?

95% of people in the world who drink are not alcoholics.

Got it?

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Proverbs is part of the canon of Scripture. It seems to this simpleton that as such, taken in proper context, there's no reason why it cannot be used in doctrine. II Tim. 3:16, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine..." The Bible is either all or nothing.

Interesting choice of (bolded) words. Convictions different from yours are not just cause to level accusations like this. Few people will take a person's opinion (and I use that word intentionally) seriously when they are insulted for having a differing one. This is why you have the reputation here that you do.

16. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I got it.

Now what about the stuff that you make up in your head, like: "Maybe one in a million Christians that set out to drink moderately become alcoholics."?

or that alcoholics set out to become one because they "SET OUT TO party hard nearly every weekend."?

Where do you get these 'facts' from?

#56 InTheLight, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Right. This is the kind of thinking I am talking about.

Nobody said Proverbs was not part of the canon of Scripture

Nobody said Proverbs was not the Word of God.

I should not have to explain this on a DEBATE site but...

We are supposed to interpret Scripture in its GENRE.

In other words we don't actually believe that Jesus in heaven right now is a bleeding Lamb with eyeballs all over him and seven horns sticking out everywhere. We understand the GENRE of literature being employed by the Holy Spirit in Revelation 4. It is apocalyptic and therefore largely figurative.

But some uninformed soul might think that when we get to heaven and see Jesus, that's what he is going to look like.

The same thing with Proverbs.

The sluggard does NOT always come to poverty.

A well trained child DOES sometimes depart when he is old.

Diligence does NOT always make rich.

And some poor uninformed soul will either try to spiritualize all of that language so they can spin it so that it will always come to pass or he will be confused.

But the fact of the matter is that when God gives a Proverb He intends for us to understand it as a Proverb- not a precept.

A proverb is a GENERAL truth- a wise saying. Most proverbs are truths with exceptions.

It would be like somebody trying to establish doctrine from the words of Job's friends.

You might say to them, "But what they are saying is not TRUE!"

And they might argue back, "It's part of the canon of Scripture. It seems to this simpleton that as such, taken in proper context, there's no reason why it cannot be used in doctrine. II Tim. 3:16, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine..." The Bible is either all or nothing."

Convictions that are not founded in the Word of God but rather some backwards tradition do warrant such accusations.

My ultimate goal is not to convert arrogant people. It is to resist them. Sweetness with arrogant people is less effective than sternness.

But what you hope is that some victim of phariseeism will see these arguments and say, "That guy who is obliterating these fundies is right! I don't have to be a Pharisee to be right with God. I CAN enjoy what God gave me to enjoy!"

I had a pm along those lines within the last 24 hours.

#57 Luke2427, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Actually I went back and saw what you were talking about.

It is a higher percentage in the U.S. than in the world.

You were right.

Only 5% of drinkers in the WORLD are drunks.

10% of drinkers in America are drunks.

So...

When you consider that prohibition is almost a uniquely American thing could it be that the phariseeism of teetotalism hurt America more than helped it?

I didn't site them as facts. Try to be fair- even when you're aggravated.

And I explained in the post that you quote from how I came to those opinions.

And I think those opinions are VERY sound for the reasons that I cite in those posts.

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Many if not most people who drink have drank to much at one time or another. Go to any bar in town and you will see drunks, go to many parties from work and you will see drunks. Go to any of the many golf clubs around here and you will see drunks in the bar. So many folks pass that moderate use you are talking about.
    Many people drink to much every now and then, not an every day deal.
    What I'm saying is any moderate drinker can go to excess and many do from time to time.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Who is arguing that it is not true that some people drink too much some times?

How many moderate eaters NEVER eat too much from time to time?

What's your point?