1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most important part of worship service?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Young Disciple, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Young Disciple

Young Disciple New Member

Excellent point. I said "worship service" only because that's what I'm used to calling the Sunday morning service (which of course need not be at any particular time, and why is it called a "service" anyway?) I didn't consider the literal implications of the name.

Part of the reason I put up the poll stems from a fiery argument I had with a fellow student in a class. His point was the preaching was the most important part of a church service because that's "the only time you have to teach them about the gospel." I wondered aloud what the heck these people were doing during Sunday school time then. It is my contention (as an enthusaistic Disciples of Christ member) that the celebration of the Lord's Supper is the center of the worship service, since by the nature of the ceremony it includes prayer and fellowship and even music sometimes. It is rooted in Scripture and sets a good pattern of moral behavior for us (the sharing of God's own self with others).

Of course, I also believe that every action we take, in and out of church, if we do it to the glory of God, is worship. On the rare occasions when I preach, I consider it worship on my part. And when I truly listen to another person, whether they are preaching or sending me e-mails, that also is worship, since I can hear the Spirit speak to me through that other person (not always, but surprisingly often.)

Peace,

YD

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Truthfully, scripture reading would be more important than preaching, but you can read the Bible at home but not necessarily get expositon of the Word, so that's why I voted for preaching. Seperating the two is not necessarily called for.

I find this poll to be surprising because the contemporary church tends to despise preaching and elevates singing and performance in worship. I fear we're reading what people think we want to hear and should hear rather than what people really prefer.

3. susanpet

susanpet New Member

I truly enjoy all aspects of worship service. But I believe preaching is the most important. We need to be fed by the word. We can read our bibles anywhere and sing whenever we feel like it, but where else can you hear the word ( except radio or TV) :cool:
    We are begotten by the word.
    And if The Preacher (Jesus) doesn't show up, the person preaching might as well just sit down. It takes the annointing of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ
    Susan

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the most important part to the Lord?...

II Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry. The most important part of worship is to feed the sheep... Why did the Lord admonish Peter three times to feed the lambs and the sheep... When you feed the lambs and the sheep you are teaching them all the important things that make up the worship service... Lord teach us to pray... Without preaching there is nothing else... Go ye into all the world and preach the Gospel the admonition from the Lord to his God called ministers throughout all generations!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ August 03, 2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

5. clipper

clipper Guest

I don't see one part of the service as more important than the rest. To me the worship service gathers Christians together to praise God and to be rejuvenated in their faith. Some Sundays I particularly feel God speaking to me through a particular piece of music while on that same day another might be touched by the sermon; neither is more important than the other and each has its place in the church's ministry.

6. Young Disciple

Young Disciple New Member

I think I may detect an underlying unspoken question: Which is more important, our worship of God (the arrow pointing to God from us), our being "touched" by God (i.e., the arrow pointing down to us from God), or our relating in a godly fashion to one another?

(Excuse all the arrows; I'm feeling compulsively visual today.)

YD

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

As much as I like the preaching, I cant give up corporate singing.

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm with Saggy on this one.

Corporate worship, with good hymns, can accomplish many objects: praise, worship and teaching, at the same time.

But I think prayer is often overlooked as a vital part of worship. It's just that it's so often poorly done. :(

9. bro jeff

bro jeff New Member

No it is the Preaching. ok

10. bro jeff

bro jeff New Member

Yes it is the preaching I just checked.