1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Most Influential Theology Book and why?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that his preferred method was using matches?

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any good reformed Baptists books can recommend?

3. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing MB.

I just wanted to add that the Ethiopian eunuch needed assistance understanding Isaiah 53 as well.

So Philip ran to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” -Acts 8.30-31 NKJV

I have too many books to post, but Mere Christianity and The Problem of Pain were very helpful as a young Christian. Of course CS Lewis wrote both of these.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting that the Holy Spirit did not just verbally speak the answer to the man, but sent a human being to be his teacher!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never claimed Christ is wrong

• Like Like x 1
  6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said a new Christian does need help and so do those who have never heard the gospel. This is why we preach the gospel as we are told. The new christian matures and seeks more scripture not the writings and thoughts of some theologian. Unaware we let the wolves in the door and the wolves preach another gospel.
    My point is we have to guard our ears and hearts and what we read. What goes in doesn't always take us closer to Christ, the other direction.
    MB

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We always have room for improvement and I'm always seeking it. I'm not very trusting of authors today. You're a Calvinist I'm freewill. If Christ went to the trouble to tell us the Holy Spirit will teach us.That we have no need of a teacher. How on earth can we ask for a better teacher. Men today are not receiving dictation from God anymore. No writer has all the answers no matter who they are but the Holy Spirit does "ask and you shall receive"
    MB

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I’ve seen on this forum is that any time Christians try to encourage others to read the Bible on their own or to explain how to read the Bible, so many people on this forum throw a hissy fit.

I can see how one can consider them to be good philosophical and well written books. But they don’t explain scripture. Not even slightly.

9. Garrett20

Garrett20 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Marty I agree. I hardly ever posted in the past but I’ve followed this Board for a number of years.

Also, I agree that Lewis’ books do not explain the Bible but give more of a ‘philosophical insight’ if you will. Someone living a worldly life for 20 years can be much helped by them to acclimate to Christian thinking and reasoning. Perhaps I’ll ponder my favorite theological works and post them. I have several so it’s hard to choose.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no new revelations from God, true, but the lord has gifted to us men who have been trained and learned in original languages of bible, Church history, textual criticism, etc, and we would be well advised to learned from them!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its good to have new converts learn through various reference tools available now!

12. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those same men are the reason your a Calvinist. None of them teaching the truth of scripture. Deceived them selves they deceive others.
    MB

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also recommend Francis Schaffer, who helps one to get a biblical worldview!