1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Most Powerful Union Leader In U.S. Says He Won't Rule Out Supporting Trump In 2020

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by kyredneck, Aug 2, 2018.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The most powerful union leader in the United States says he hasn’t ruled out supporting Donald Trump for president in 2020.

On Wednesday, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka spoke to Newsmax regarding support for Trump in 2020, asserting, “Well, he will be looked at. Every one will be looked at.”

The AFL-CIO has endorsed every Democratic presidential candidate since 1956 with the exception of George McGovern in 1972. But Trumka allowed, “We will consider every candidate who’s running in 2020.”

Speaking of the 2016 presidential race, Trumka said, “Trump got 3% more of our members than Romney did in 2012, but Hillary Clinton, unfortunately for her, got 10% less of our members than Obama did in 2012. And some didn’t vote for President or some voted third party.”

Explaining why Trump gained union members while Clinton lost some, Trumka explained, “Because people were mad. They were looking for someone who was going to change the economy. They felt there were assaults on their health care and assaults on their pensions. People were looking for someone who will shake up the status quo, because the economy wasn’t working for them. Their wages were flattened and they found that candidate in Donald Trump.”

Trumka added that Trump “promised to lift up workers and reign in Wall Street.” Although he felt the bulk of Trump’s promises to help working people “were either broken or unfulfilled. It doesn’t matter if the GDP is great and unemployment is at 3.9 percent,” Trumka cheered Trump for “going in the right direction on trade and [the AFL-CIO] totally supports a rewrite of NAFTA.”

The AFL-CIO is comprised of 56 national and international unions; they represent over 12 million active and retired workers."
    Most Powerful Union Leader In U.S. Says He Won't Rule Out Supporting Trump In 2020

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as they will consider candidates - rather then automatically endorsing the Liberal.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trump's economy has benefitted the union workers right along with the non-union workers.

[add]

Forty years ago I was union plumber/pipefitter/HVAC-R, served 4- year apprenticeship, did 11 years working commercial construction as a union master plumber/journeyman pipefitter, and anti-Republican propaganda was a given. Not one union 'comrade' I ever worked with ever had one good thing to say about Republicans. Occasionally I bump into some of them and if the opportunity arises I intend to pry into their political views now.

#3 kyredneck, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The union guys that I am acquainted with are still Democrats and they liked Hillary. I don't personally know any Blacks or Jews that have switched parties.

Do you think that Trump should shut down the government if necessary to obtain money for a border wall or wait until after the election, which the Dems may win because they have the power of hell on their side?

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sen. Graham was on Hannity (radio) yesterday and says Trump for sure will get 5 billion before the election with more to come next year. But he wants lottery and chain migration addressed too. I think Trump is getting them off their butts to do something by threatening s shutdown.