1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Motel 6, Red Roof Inn - Americans Boycott France !

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by LadyEagle, Mar 10, 2003.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the insight! Too many times the "squeaky wheel" is all that's heard, so the rest of the "vehicle" is ignored as it is faithfully performing it's duty.

This same attitude seems to prevail re: todays youth; "a generation of the damned--", when I have been very impressed with many I've known regarding their faith, morals, honesty etc.

I'm somewhat of an optimist, so I would like to believe that your assesment of the common folk is far more prevalent in the world than the media would lead us to believe.

We as Americans have much to be proud of, but alas, we're not perfect, so probably much the majority of the remainder of this globe knows of us (if not all) is extremely negative.

Anyway, thanks again for your post as it made me feel better whether it makes any difference in the grand scheme of things or not.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Can anyone tell me why these companies are supposed to be boycotted? Last time I checked, Dell, McDonalds, and Coca Cola were American companies.

If the rationale is they sell products to consumers in France, then it is a ridiculous boycott.

If the rationale is, they contain products that were manufactured n France, it's still a ridiculous boycott. IE, I refuse to put an American worker out of work simply because a dell computer contains one chip out of 100 that came from a supplier with a French address.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Johnv, they want people who are against the war to boycott American companies. I don't see too many Americans lining up for this because it would be stupid to boycott your own country, especially while the economy is as bad as it is.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good point. I for one don't wish to put an American worker out of work simply because their company or the ceo of their company has taken a stance on Iraq one way or the other that I may not like.

5. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Come again? I've seen some ridiculous stuff hereabouts about the Messianic Role of the USA, but how you could suggest that they owe us (rather than, perhaps, "we owe each other") when they were there at our birth and helped snip the umbilical cord that tied us to Tony Blair ;) is beyond me. You might be able to make a case for France owing their Security Council seat to us, but that's not exactly the same thing as their nationhood!!

Haruo

6. mimi

mimi New Member

My kids have started calling french fries freedom fries

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Don't we also owe the French for assistance in that little skirmish called the Revolutionary War?

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I think our debt to France (if we ever had one) has long since been settled.

Sue

9. skilight33pw1

skilight33pw1 New Member

Realizing my post would not be pleasing to my Saviour only my flesh I remove it because I know what would Jesus do

[ March 23, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: skilight33pw1 ]