1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Movie Sanitizing

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by music4Him, Apr 26, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

82.4%
  2. No

17.6%
  3. Not sure?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Well I just see the most interesting thing on Good Morning America, a man taking out all the bad stuff in movies (ie. nudity, sex, violence, language). There was also a poll (I assume for the secular world?) now how about a poll for the Christians? :confused:

BTW, Hollywood is not happy with thier movies being sanitized. That deserves a sarcastic Awwwwwww poor baby! from me. :rolleyes: [​IMG] :D

2. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Airlines can get sanitized movies to show during flights, so why can't we? Irregardless of what the hollywood people claim, good movies can be made without all that garbage.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depends on what you mean by sanitizing. By removing the volume of obscenities and the overt sexuality - yes, I would agree.

Regarding violence, it depends. For example, Braveheart is an excellent movie, but has very violent scenes. But then again, that was violent time in history and probably more violent than the movie.

Also regardless of sanitizing, not all movies are for all age groups.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You already CAN buy many videos that have been 'cleaned up'. That's been possible for years if you knew where to look.

We have a T.V. Guardian that removes cuss words and even the word 'sex'. The sound goes quiet when words that might be used in an ugly way are used. As example, the rooster cannot 'crow' and a porcupine cannot 'stick' you.

5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why should we have to have a tv guardian when it is possible to make a good action movie without the filthy language to start with. Also, the tv guardian works off of the closed captioning and does not work with certain formating - I know because I already have it. I have noticed that some things get through even if setting are at the strictest level.

6. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

I don't understand. If you're watching a movie and one of the characters asks, "What is the baby's sex" does that mean you hear "What is the baby's [silence]"? What is the point to that?

With TV Guardian, do plants reproduce "A---ually"?

The origination of any language is arbitrary. Any meaning we ascribe to "cuss words" is merely a human invention.

I thank God every day that I have been able to reject such a childish and naive mindset.

My point is, I would be MORE offended if I watched a movie where (for example) Jimmy Hoffa or a gang of Rastafarian drug dealers said, "Golly gee-whiz. I am somewhat disenchanted with that particular worldview".

Grow up.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

P_Barnes, the T.V. Guardian protects my child/ grandchildren from hearing cuss words 'by accident'. The first night we had it (about 4 or more years ago), I waw putting Nick in the tub. I noticed from the other room that the t.v. was cutting in and out. Third Rock from the Sun had come on, at 7:00, and the cuss words they used were so frequent that it sounded like my t.v. was broken.

Nick is home schooled and has just recently heard a few cuss words and asked me were they bad words. He's 10 1/2.

I agree that 'people' made words 'bad' but I don't want my child using those 'ugly' words because he heard them on a t.v. commercial!

Yes.... the word SEX is blocked, as is cuss words. At the strictest setting, Jesus and God are blocked. We consider Oh My God to be God's name in vain in my home.

P_Barnes (a lady, said)
    Do YOU use words we would consider not fitting for a Christian lady? :confused:

8. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

At first I was cool to the idea, but am warming up to it. My wife asks, why don't they just make them that way in the first place. I've been 30 minutes into a movie, then bad words, nudity, etc.
    I just shut it off, but would've liked to the the story ending. I doubt if "artists" will care very much for this, some movie writers have in their contract that their screenplay can't be altered.

9. music4Him

music4Him New Member

As I watched the segment on GMA. I was amazed how well it was handeled as far as cutting the offending scene out. The scene I saw was a woman spilled her coffee on her shirt so she went to remove her outer shirt (she ad two shirts on) only both shirts went up reveling her bra as a man walks in the room. That part is totally taken out but the was it runs if you hadn't known that part was there you'd never notice.
    I just recently wasted money a movie because the words were so foul. Then again I don't watch regual stations much but the other night my hubby went to watch a show (on regular TV) and there was some pretty colorful words flying around not to mention the scantly clad ladies and men runnin around. I'm not that old mind ya but back in my day seening a woman in her bra and underwear was x rated to me! Now its all over the place. :(

I'm with those here who think that movies could be good with out the vulgar language and nasty stuff. I get so down because somwtimes I miss being able to sit down and see a clean movie.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Passion was showing here as "recut" version, I did not go and see it though, as I dont get to the movies that often, and "Luther" was showing, so I went to that instead.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

It all depends on the subject of the movie. Some of them no matter how much nudity and language you remove are still bad for moral people, simply becasue of the subject of the movie.
    I saw this on tv last night for a few minutes. There are several groups who do this. One does popular movies, the other does only movies whose subject is not offensive, that is safe for christians once the obscenities are removed.
    Some movies like this I would consider watching. But I'm not big on these things anyway when nI watch a movie. A recent example is Finding Neverland, no foul language, no nudity or blood and guts, even the subject was good, not offensive.

12. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

Diane,

You're getting too liberal with the word "lady" when you use it to describe me. :cool:

The poll question didn't mention anything about what we will or will not allow our children to watch. Children shouldn't be watching Scarface or Saving Private Ryan, but adults who do should understand that drug dealers and men at war do not say "golly!" when they are stressed.

I was speaking only of adults who are viewing a movie (not broadcast television) of their own choosing.

Yes, I think it is a good idea to protect children from the stupid double-entendres that sit-coms rely on.

It is adults who are offended by "cuss words" in war movies whom I think should grow up. Should we also remove the crude sexual references from Shakespeare? Take the F-word out of Catcher in the Rye ?