1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Moving Denominations

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Ben W, Feb 5, 2003.

?
  1. Yes id minister in a non baptist church

65.2%
  2. I would go to only another Baptist denomination

17.4%
  3. Not unless I absolutley had to

17.4%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you had come to the end of ministering in your church, and were seeking another position, would you switch denominations?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am an ordained Baptist minister (33 years next month). I have preached and now am interim in a non-baptist church - although they all have been very "baptistic". Same doctrinal statement, etc.

Found that IF I were to seek to pastor a Free church, I would need to surrender my ordination and become "credentialed" in that denomination.

Not in this lifetime . . . :rolleyes:

3. Timothy Bonney

Timothy Bonney New Member

Been there and did that. I am an ex-Southern Baptist. At the end of a pastorate in 1991 I became an American Baptist.

Timothy Bonney, Pastor
    First Baptist Church (ABC/USA)
    Rushville, Indiana

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am baptist from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, never been anything else, I just can't imagine ever being anything but baptist. Although I would be willing to go to another type of baptist. Does that mean I would not go if God called me to another denomination all together? I would sure like to think I would be responsive to the calling and leading of the Holy Spirit..but I am still very much human..so who knows.

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Recently (almost 5 years ago) my wife and I moved to Wyoming. Our little town has one IBF Church (KJV Only, womein in pants = hell) that was a major turn off. Being very active in churches and ministries where we had lived before, we had to find a place where God could use us.

We joined an SBC church in our same town (after three months of going over their constitution, doctrinal statements and ministry purpose). I must say coming from the IBF side of things to the SBC was a transition. Although I struggle with some of our pastor's lack of commitment on the doctrines of grace, we have found a great fit in a wonderful ministry.

To us with was switching denominations to be where God wanted us to be. To some of our friends and family it was a falling away from God. Bottom line, our relationship with Christ has to take highest priority, not politics.

-- Jeremiah

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I reckon Jeramiah, that you would find disagreements on the role of Grace, in a number of Baptist Churches, and probably all over the whole church.

I have been with the Salvation Army, Pentecostal Church (Bethesda Movement), and am now pioneerind a small Seventh Day Baptist Church. Yet I find much similarity in the "Core Doctrines" of each.