1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mp3

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Nov 13, 2005.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have ripped some of our music library to mp3 and discovered it was done at a low bitrate. It sounds good on my ppc and pc, but am wondering if when we get an mp3 deck for the stereo, if we will be pleased with the quality.

Does anyone have a stereo deck on their stereo system and know what the difference between low and high bitrates are. I have Windows Media player for the ripping. 128 is what it was set up for when I was ripping, and 320 is the higher possible.

I am going to rip our library (over 500) and don't want to get half way through and decide I've made a poor choice :)

2. natters

natters New Member

128 should be fine. 320 is overkill in my opinion, and only results in larger file sizes (I think the quality difference would not be detectable by human hearing).

If you could rip a couple of songs at both bitrates and then try them in a friend's stereo (or even just take them to a store like BestBuy), you'll be able to see if there is any difference before doing your whole library.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've done both ways and on my garage equip. can't tell any difference, but its amp isn't quite as good as our house stuff.

Noticed that memory change, big difference for sure there.

Thanks for the info.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

yeah, 128k is generally considered to be 'cd quality'. You will always find people who say that they can hear the difference, but if you're an average music listener, you probably won't have any complaints with the 128k files.

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did some further snooping and 128 is as you say cd quaility and above is considered studio quality. Since I can't hear my wife calling me to mow the lawn 128 should suffice. [​IMG]

I'm very glad as I have twenty or so done already :)