1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mrs. Criswell, Dead at 93

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by RandR, Aug 3, 2006.

1. RandR

RandR New Member

Mrs. C. went home to the Lord yesterday (Wednesday) morning.

She had her many faults, but she loved the Lord, her husband, her church, and she loved to teach the Word.

I do not agree with those who would try place at her feet the blame for every stuggle that Gregory, Hawkins, or Brunson ever had during their pastorates. But she did have her opinions, and she did use her platform (er, small stage in Coleman Hall) to voice them. Her passing brings an end to an era, and my prayer is that the next pastor will be able to lead First Dallas into the future without the distractions real or perceived comparisons to past eras.

#1 RandR, Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  2. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

Well, I know heaven is a perfect place where no tears are shed, but I'll bet W.A. is walking the golden streets with a little more of a bounce in his step today.

I used to listen to Miz Betty's Sunday School class on KCBI when I was in the Dallas area on business and couldn't make it to church on Sunday morning, though I never got to visit there. I'm sure she was an imposing presence in the church, and obviously she was quite influential, but I'll bet W.A.'s ministry there wouldn't have been nearly as successful as it was without her support.

3. teachermom

teachermom New Member

4. teachermom

teachermom New Member

Mrs. Criswell

As usual, RandR, you seem to be trying to stir up trouble with your remarks. So far, no one has joined you and hopefully no one will.

5. Burrito Breath

Burrito Breath New Member

Doan U believe It!

Mrs. Criswell dead? Me doubt it! I know Mrs. C. She got more tricks than Whodini!

6. RandR

RandR New Member

teachermom,

That isn't stirring up trouble, nor is it attempting to.

Do you dispute that there are some people blamed her for nearly every challenge those former pastors faced? Do you dispute that she used her platform to voice her opinions? Do you dispute that her passing represents the end of an era? Do you not join me in praying that the next pastor will be able to lead the church without that particular distraction?

I didn't even post the news of her passing until the day after, and only then because no one else had. I made those other commnets, if anything, in an attempt to DISSUADE people from using a post about her passing to bash her. Geez, give me a little credit.

[I realize you don't like me because I saw things that caused me not to share your Mac-love, but that doesn't make me a pot-stirrer.]

#6 RandR, Aug 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2006
  7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Mrs Criswell (& her husband) both had a passion for the lost.

If only everyone today still had that passion.