1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mrs. Rick Warren Preaching at Crystal Cathedral

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Jerome, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Post April 30, 2012 Kay Warren Preaches at Crystal Cathedral

"Kay Warren [wife of SBC pastor Rick Warren] delivered a sermon on choosing joy at the Crystal Cathedral during two Sunday worship services that were taped for the Garden Grove church's "Hour of Power" TV broadcast."

Los Angeles Times April 30, 2012 Faith in Crystal Cathedral Is Returning—And So Is Its Flock

"A revival is being seen at the Crystal Cathedral. . . .Rev. Bobby Schuller, grandson of Crystal Cathedral founder Rev. Robert H. Schuller, shares a moment with guest pastor Kay Warren during a service at the church in Garden Grove."

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they still preach/teach the ole positive confession heresy of the founder, Robert schuller?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    sorry but I am not waisting my time watching that.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonder if they still teach as Robert Schuller did that man biggest problem is NOT being sinners, but that we need to realise that we have a low self esteem problem!

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sadly, many leaders in the church are falling for the women's equality nonsense. If it were up to me it would disqualify RW from eldership in not leading his family well in this area. "Must" and "husband of one wife" are not rocket science terms.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The excerpts from Kay Warren's appearance at Crystal Cathedral certainly didn't sound like a sermon to me. Sounded like a motivational speech. That's not preaching, Joel O notwithstanding.

And the reporter who described her as a "guest pastor" showed his ignorance. She's not a pastor.

We may be making too much of her appearance there.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

Yea exactly :thumbs:

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for her. I just love to see all the Warren haters flipping out that his wife would go and speak at another church. He should be removed, she's a she for goodness sake!

FYI - she was there to speak about her new book which is about she learned to deal with with depression and how her own treatment was hampered by the perception of those with depression in the church, so not too sure that would strictly be in the sermon category.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My concern was NOT with her speaking, but at that church!

Do they still promote quasi new age self help theology?

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken Silva's [Apprising Ministries] Christian Research Network certainly isn't taking the sweep-it-under-the-rug route with this:

Kay Warren Preaches at Controversial Crystal Cathedral

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Jerome, Ken Silva makes a good point. I questioned the use of the term preaching, but the larger point is why she was there in the first place.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the warrens given hearty endorsement to a false teacher of a false gospel?

13. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The passage, even according to leading complementarians, is talking about polygamy, not gender. If we interpret this passage to mean only men can serve, we have to interpret the 10th commandment to mean only men can covet, since they're told not to covet their neighbor's wife. Would a woman coveting her neighbor's husband not actually be considered coveting?

Oh, and Mrs. Warren, not her husband, is responsible for her actions. If my wife decided she wanted to accept an invitation to preach, I would be her decision, regardless of my own belief on the matter.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You use bad grammar. Should we refuse to talk to you?

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong. Husband of one wife implies gender by the very definition of what this is.
    Non sequitur, I was talking about being a "pastor" (elder) not serving. We are all called to serve, we are not all called to be elders.

Wrong again.
    Mrs. Warren falls under both Rick's leadership in the home and in the church. A submissive wife would not deliberately violate her husband's beliefs based on Scripture.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry that I did not meet the grammar review required before posting here, but what did you think of the warrens seeming to approve false teacher/doctrine?

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

You're going against most egalitarian and complementarian scholars with this opinion. Again, if women can't hold office according to this passage, they also aren't able to covet.

She might if she knew in her heart they were wrong. Men will not have to give an account for the actions of their wives. Women will account for their own actions.

Of course, there is no biblical reason why women should submit to men, since we are all called to submit to each other in light of Eph. 5. Neither is there any biblical reason women cannot preach or teach.

Read some scholarship before assuming a surface reading of an english translation is good enough.

18. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

There is a grammar review required before posting anywhere: your own.

I don't think they are approving of any false doctrine simply by her speaking there. I'm not big fans of the Warrens or the Schullers, but we're reading too much into this.

19. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Typical. Anyone that disagrees with you on this topic is uneducated, right?

Oh, and instead of bashing others for their grammar, why don't you check that you properly capitalize words?

20. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

How one can get "wife of one husband" out of "husband of one wife" is beyond me.