1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MSTC=Modern Spelling Tyndale/Coverdale Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is now available a Bible that is called the "Modern Spelling Tyndale/Coverdale Bible." It is available from lulu.com/tyndalebible [Ekklesia Apostolic Resources]. It is also supposed to be available as a free E-Sword software module. It is edited by Shawn McDonnell.

The cover indicates that it is a modern spelling edition of the first English version--1535. However, be forewarned that it is not strictly a modern spelling edition of the 1535 Coverdale's Bible.

I ordered a copy of it, and I noticed that it did not seem to match Coverdale's in some verses [at least according to the re-printed editions that I have of Coverdale's]. In reading the preface or introductory articles by Shawn McDonnell, he indicates in them that he took some renderings from the work of Tyndale found in the 1537 Matthew's Bible [Joshua-2 Chronicles], from Tyndale's translation of the book of Jonah, and from the short portion of some O. T. books that Tyndale translated that was found at the end of the 1534 edition of Tyndale's New Testament. Thus, the editor seems to follow or favor Tyndale's renderings for those portions that he translated. In addition, Shawn McDonnell indicated that he took some renderings from the later work of Miles Coverdale in the Great Bible for the O. T. books Ezra through Malachi. McDonnell claims that Miles Coverdale did some of the revision work for the Old Testament of the 1568 Bishops' Bible so he also took a few renderings from it. He does not indicate that he took any renderings from the 1560 Geneva Bible.

Thus, this Bible is actually a compiled edition from several of the pre-1611 English Bibles.

While it is in modern spelling, the printed edition I obtained is in an old style font and in small print that is not easy to read. If you want to read it more easily, you might want to get the deluxe lectern-sized edition.