1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music in the Masoretic Texts

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Aaron, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a continuation of the ideas posted in a thread that is now closed:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=2227

Musical notation from the 3rd Century A.D.
    http://www.nb.no/baser/schoyen/5/5.3/index.html#2260

John Wheeler, the American agent for H-V's work stated: "Denise Jourdan-Hemmerdinger, musicologist and Hellenist at CRNS in France, has mentioned this notation if I'm not mistaken -- or one very much like it. All the graphic forms found in the *te`amim* are found in it, according to what she told Suzanne. She discusses it more thoroughly in a paper she mentions in her review of Suzanne's LES 150 PSAUMES."

This seems to support the premise that the accent marks in the Masoretic texts are musical notation that actually predates the Masoretes by centuries.

2. Forever settled in heaven

interesting theory ... i checked out the above links plus the one to her music at Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6577255-8340029?n=507846&s=classical&v=glance

i'm not enuff of a scholar to dissect SHV's work as Dr James Price did on the other thread, but listening to the short clips off Amazon, her "recovered" music seems to reflect the Western tradition--i.e. more like Gregorian chants than like the music of the East, e.g. Chinese wayang, Arabic muezzin, Balinese gemelan.

i suppose it's a good attempt, n one can't get completely away fr one's background.

i didn't see any info, though, leading to the decoding of Psalm titles--e.g. Miktam, Maskil, Gittith. perhaps it's a good start in that direction!

like i said, interesting! :thumbs:

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Price agreed that the te-amim are primarily musical. Wheeler is also working on an in depth response to Price's critique.

From what I've learned, H-V had enough expertise to know whether she was imposing her Western background onto Eastern tradition. The real mistake is in assuming that what we hear from the Near East today reflects the tradition of the First Century.

Besides, I'm still looking for one who can show that her key is inconsistently applied to reveal the music that emerges from it.

4. Forever settled in heaven

sure, i'm no expert in music either, but it just sounded uncannily western to my ears.

then again, i'm all ears, whatever ur further findings! :saint:

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just keeping this on the front page for a while.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    .....bump...