1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music recording

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Dale-c, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Do any of you do any recording?

Now that high quality recording is so inexpensive there is no reason for musicians not to be able to do this.

I have been working on a project the last couple of days.

What type of gear and software do you use if you do?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My husband was a pioneer in the digital recording industry 20 years ago! LOL He created the first digital recorder that could be expanded from 4 to 64 tracks in 4 track increments and it was only about $30,000 for the 8 track version! when the competitors were charging over $100,000. He sold the business to Otari when my daughter was a year old - and they never did anything with it again. They just wanted him out of competition. :( Oh well, it was a great experience for him anyway! He made a number of friends and they still know him when he goes to the different trade shows in NY. :)

In our old house, we had a recording studio (with his machine - the Prodisk 464), but when we moved here, he was only able to set up in a spare bedroom. We have a TON of equipment up there that is now pretty much obsolete. He's now doing recording sitting in the living room with his laptop, keyboard, a small mic and guitars. We laugh at how different this is in 20 years.

He uses QBase and Abelton Live. He's been using the QBase for years but recently started with the Ableton Live and absolutely loves it.

HTH!

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Is he on a Mac or PC?
    I have been using Pro Tools for over 6 years now and I really like it.
    I haven't ever used Cubase (I think that is what you meant?)

I am in my living roon as well.
    We use Pro Tools M-Powered and currently an M-Audio FIrewire solo but that will change soon.
    I just won an auction on eBay for a Firewire 410 from M-Audio.
    I mostly use Audio Technica mics.
    I just got a coupld of new ones this week.
    THey are both AT3031 models and are good for accoustic intsruments.

The thing with hard disk recording is that it brings the tools into the hands of almost anyone but you still need to know how to use it all.

Apple's garageband is pretty decent for beginners.
    But I am a die hard Pro TOols fan.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My grandpa's recording gear really goes a long way back.
    He never did get into the digital era.
    The most sophiticated system he used was a Tascam 8 Track reel to reel rig.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He's on a PC right now but is looking to get a Mac again. All his programming that he did on the Prodisk was on a Mac and he MUCH prefers a Mac for music and graphics. He'll probably get 2 Mac laptops - one for him and one for our daughter who's heading to college in the fall majoring in art.

My daughter used Garage Band in 10th grade in school and said it was OK but she's used to daddy's stuff, so she's spoiled. LOL!

Oh, and Bob's done programming for Audio Technica's wireless mics. We now have 3 systems sitting in that spare bedroom that they gave him but we can't use them. They're for Asia, Australia and the UK, I think. LOL - We had problems with the wireless mics for the church play this year and we were saying that he could pull those systems in - but he'd chance getting arrested. ;) He's still doing support for AT but not doing full on programming anymore since he became a pastor. But he'll still get a call here and there for a few hours consulting/programming and he'll do that for a few extra dollars.

It's just amazing how different things are now than when he first started. As you said, nowadays this stuff is available for the general public to use when it used to be this stuff was only affordable to the large studios! Bob was doing something the other day, though - and he found a bug just like he had on his machine years ago. He said it brought back memories! In using Cubase (why did I think it was spelled with a Q?), he found a bug and worked with them to fix it about a year or two ago. I thought that was funny. :) He's such a geek! ROTFL!

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

If you get a Mac laptop, be sure to check out the refurbished system on the Apple website.
    Same warantee but you will save a few hundred bucks.

As for Garageband, I feel the same way.
    It is a great product for what it is designed for but I know and love Pro Tools so it would be hard to use anything else.

WHen you said Qbase, I kept thinking, I know that program...I know that program...what is it?
    Oh! its Cubase
    LOL

As far as wireless systems, I experiences that with wireless networks.
    I was designing a network for a school and realized I could get a higher powered signal by using a different country code which would allow for the local laws.
    The US law is lower than what the gear would handle.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - but you know that there's going to be a change in frequency allowances in early 2009 night? All of our wireless mics at church are going to have to be changed because of that. Bleck! Fortunately, we needed new mics anyway. What happened with the wireless system for the play was the borrowed mics apparently were on the same frequency as the signal to get a ring on a cell phone! So for those people who refused to listen to "Turn OFF the cell phones because they interfere with the wireless mics", when they're phone rang, the wireless mic would pick it up too and send the signal to the speakers. NOT fun when you're trying to mix dialogue and suddenly get this horrible noise! OY!!

Whenever I hear Bob speaking of Cubase, I keep thinging Q-base. ;) I had no clue how it was spelled. LOL!

I'll let him know about the refurbished Macs. Not sure what he wants to do but I know he's looking for 2 because of DD needing one. He's DYING for a Mac though - he HATES using the PC for music stuff - it's just not made for it.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

9. steveo

steveo New Member

I use a Tascam dp01fxcd 8 track digital recorder.
    I was going to get pro tools but at the time I didn't have a laptop and I wanted something portable.
    The one thing I do like is that it is set up for easy use, has a cd burner built in so I can take it to church on the fly, and it sounds good.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Steve, can you export the files to a computer?

11. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Not anymore.

Back in the mid eighties, I had a friend who left me an old eight track and I used that forever until it finally just died.

But really, I've always had such great acess to everybody else's stuff, that I was never really all that interested in doing it myself.

I haven't even played very much in the last couple of months, outside of an open mic night here and there.

#11 Mike McK, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  12. steveo

steveo New Member

Yes, but I havent done it yet. I just burn to cd.