1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Music to "stimulate" converts...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by UnchartedSpirit, Aug 1, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

For anyone who's expirienced a prominantly African/American Baptist church...what would happend if white people imiated their method of worship? The deacons or whoever goes up before the main sermon would be half-singing led-zepplin style, with a full instrumental backup! Sometimes the preacher himself would behave this way! However isn't it all just taking the music of the area and using it to boost people's emotional responce to whatever the message is? Not that it's wrong in most places, but to witness...I feel using music this preventing people from making a more rational or wise decision about Jesus...

speaking of Black churches, why have I never seen anyone play a saxophone (or accordion) in the choir before? Is it as bad as drumming?

2. UnchartedSpirit

by stimulate...I meant the music "stimulated" peoples emotional levels making them more willing to act out on what the preachers was saying....this post made no sense, didn't it?

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your post made perfect sense. The whole point in that form of worship is the feelin'. And it is "wrong" to employ carnal forms of worship in Christian assemblies.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture please?

5. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Aaron,

Are you telling us that you aren't affected by the music at your church or by the music that you are championing ? (Which BTW,you never give examples of). :rolleyes:

Is worship just an intellectual exercise for you ? No "feelings" ? :confused:

Just wondering...

In Christ,

Dale

6. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear UnchartedSpirit,

If you mean the organist doing little "theatrical riffs" (playing after particular lines in the sermon) ala Rod Parsley, I think that it's clownish and detracts from the sermon and service.

I've been to black churches and was welcomed there to worship, and when someone discovered that I played the conga drums,I was invited to "sit in". :thumbs: I find nothing wrong with their worship.

As for responding with emotion to the music, a simple glimpse at the Scripture and hymn texts will show that they all have emotions and emotional responses within or tied to them. God never condemned a person's feelings, just the motives of their heart. See Matt. 15:7-9 and other Scripture reagrding the "heart".

Of course, emotions can be wrongly used and manipulated. Or made the "standard" by which worship is judged to be "worthy". I've worshipped in quiet settings as well as jubilant, upbeat settings. :)

I've beem moved by music from Thomas Tallis to Matt Redman in a worship service.

And as to churches where : "The deacons or whoever goes up before the main sermon would be half-singing led-zepplin style, with a full instrumental backup!" The churches that I attended in the past and my current church, that use contemporary worship music (along with traditonal hymns) never would have permitted that kind of music in the service!

Actually, to see white people doing black worship is quite funny ! :laugh:

In Christ,

Dale

7. UnchartedSpirit

I suggested the zeppline-style as a refrence to white people doing black worship with white-style music! Although I don't think it would sound as good when they'd go into repetition like black ministers do...

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I saw Rod Parsley on the Tube one evening and in addition to the organ riffs, the whole crowd was standing,-lots were bouncing-,shaking little pom-poms and blowing little whistles.
    What was that supposed to be???

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That reminds me of something that happened a couple months ago at our church during a conference that we hosted. After coming back from lunch, the people running the conference had us sing "Ancient of Days" and suddenly grabbed a Kleenex out of the box and started waving it around saying "everyone grab a flag" and walked around the church singing and waving the kleenex. I thought it quite humerous.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bonga Dale! Where have you been hiding? Still beating drums in church? Now all we need are Beaner and Daniel and it'll be a grand reunion of the Ad Hominem Group Against Aaron Club.

My affections and experiences are irrelevant. What matters is the Word of God, which you abandon every time you engage me. :type:

Good to see ya, though!:wavey:

Putting the "mental" in Fundamentalism,
    Aaron.

11. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Dear Gayla,

You wrote:" I saw Rod Parsley on the Tube one evening and in addition to the organ riffs, the whole crowd was standing,-lots were bouncing-,shaking little pom-poms and blowing little whistles.
    What was that supposed to be???"

Answer: The Annointing of God !!!!!!:laugh: :rolleyes:

It's pathetic...:tear:

In Christ,

Dale

12. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Re: Music to Stimulate Converts...

Dear Aaron,

Yes,I'm still playing the conga drums and other hand drums in church. Serving God with the musical gift that He gave me,as I have done over the past 32 years !

You also wrote: " My affections and experiences are irrelevant. What matters is the Word of God, which you abandon every time you engage me."

You accuse me of abandoning Scripture...At least,I don't twist it to fit my pet preferences on worship music !

As for one's "affections and experiences" in worship... I would agree that they shouldn't be the measure of what constitutes worship.
    But, I can't help why God wrote the Bible,filling it with emotions and "feelings" in each book.

Again,regarding "affections and experiences" in worship...Why are you afraid to share them ?

Where in the Bible does it say that God should be worshipped in stoic solemnity only, no emotions?

Then,why does the Bible use words such as: sorrow,rejoice,
    contentment, gratitude, guilt,etc.,if stoic worship is the only valid way to worship ?

Also,what about the hymns ? I guess that the composers and poets wasted their time and energies on writing them for the church to sing.:rolleyes:

You are awfully quick to belittle & insult others that don't worship as you do. Where in the Bible does it say that it's fine with God to do so ?

BTW, my church uses all styles of music from Sarum plainchant to hymns, classical sacred, to Contemporary (Chris Tomlin,Paul Baloche,Matt Redman,etc.).

In Christ,

Dale

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Let's keep in mind...

Jesus was extremely harsh in Matthew 12:22-34 toward people who saw a "God event" happen and declared that it was not of God (but was rather of Satan). Jesus made reference to blasphemy in said passage. Just wanted to throw that out.

14. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Re: Music to Stimulate Converts...

Dear RBell,

You wrote: " Let's keep in mind...
    Jesus was extremely harsh in Matthew 12:22-34 toward people who saw a "God event" happen and declared that it was not of God (but was rather of Satan). Jesus made reference to blasphemy in said passage. Just wanted to throw that out. "

Excellent point! :thumbs: Bravo! :applause:

In Christ,

Dale

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an equal an opposite error to call holy something that is really profane. We're warned that Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. So how does one really know whether something is a "God event" (puh-leeze!) or not?

Where do you stand? Is musical style in church a matter of personal preference or does God have a will concerning musical style?

16. UnchartedSpirit

Musical style isn't technially the question here. It's just that in some circumstances, such as an outreach event, music makes it easier to "woo" or better yet hyponitize new converts into the fold. That just doesn't feel right to me...

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course, you have yet to provide a scripture to back up your a priori assumption that certain worship music, because of its style, is inherently evil. You make the assumption, then proof-text it. You always have.

If God moves, and one sees over time the Spirit of God working in and through a church, you can be assured that His Spirit is not grieved.

Let me translate what Aaron means by his last sentence:

Translation: My tastes/preferences and God's will are one and the same.

18. Dale McNamee

Dale McNamee New Member

Re: Music to "Stimulte Converts...

Dear Rbell,

You wrote: " Let me translate what Aaron means by his last sentence:

Quote:
    Is musical style in church a matter of personal preference or does God have a will concerning musical style?

Translation: My tastes/preferences and God's will are one and the same."

Actually, he has said the same in earlier posts (going back over 2 years) in this forum regarding worship music.

You have Aaron "pegged" perfectly! :laugh: :thumbs: :applause:

In Christ,

Dale

#18 Dale McNamee, Aug 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2007
  19. Dan V.

Dan V. New Member

Please read Dt. 12. God emphatically states that Israel is not to worship Him in the manner that the canaanites worshiped their false gods.

Sincerely,

Dan V.

20. gekko

gekko New Member

lol
    -----

the worship is there for the christians.
    not the non-christians.
    non-christians can't worship that which they don't believe.
    thus they can't be 'wooed' or 'hypnotized' into thinking they can.

it may seem like they can - but would it be true worship? and if it's not true worship - is it worship at all?

uncharted... stop tryin to bash good music in services - whether it be black or white (in relation to enthusiasm)

i love the black churches. i find they're more on fire for God than the whites.
    why? because of the enthusiasm they have.

i get more pumped for Christ when i go to a church that has a black pastor (he was from haiti) - than when i go to a church with a white pastor.

if you don't like - or don't agree with any of it... ya can D.W.I.
    God bless