1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Musical Instruments for Fundamental Church

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Joman, May 26, 2005.

1. Joman

Joman New Member

What Musical instruments are not allowed in a Ind. Fund. Baptist Church?

2. LarryN

LarryN New Member

This is simply a generalization, but most IFB churches don't look kindly on either drums or guitars (at least electric guitars; but in many cases even acoustic guitars too).

3. Joman

Joman New Member

I understand that NOT all music is for God Worship.

But i haven't found any bible text about the Instruments.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

If given to God for glory, why are ANY not allowed?

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Save for a drum kit (mostly because of its worldly associations), I've seen just about every instrument in a IFB church.

Just remember the Squire's rule of music appreciation:

6. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Personally, I don't have a problem with any instruments. I believe that all can be played to the glory of God.

I've seen some weird disparities in my time though in regards to instruments. For example, I know of 2 Christian schools operated by Baptist churches which have drums in their school bands; but which absolutely forbid drums in their worship services in the churches. When I asked one of the pastors once why this paradox existed, he replied to me that "drums are worldly"- which still didn't explain to me why they're permissible in the school then!

7. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

My sister and her husband are very strict Baptists (women never wear pants and let their hair grow long, no television in the house, etc).

She explained to me that drums are satanic because satan-worshipers beat them to summon the satanic spirits (I think...perhaps I didn't listen closely).

I feel like as long as the words are louder than the music and they glorify the Lord, they can be used for God's glory.

We have guitarists in our church and they play well enough to make it sound musical instead of noisy (ever watch the Andy Griffith show?...like his guitar playing). But, I have to admit guitar and drums are not my favorite musical instruments. This is purely taste-based, though. I love violins and pianos.

If you think about it, any instrument that is considered "churchy" can be made to sound rocky. It's not necessarily what you use, but how you use it.

I've seen magic acts used to teach kids in Jr. Church, and yet some people would claim magic is satanic. Others would argue that magic is simply a trick of the eye and quick flick of the wrist.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Joman, if I understand you correctly, you want to know what musical instruments are allowed in independent fundamental Baptist churches based on their faith and practice. Because they are independent, their practice varies from church to church. What I mention is based on my personal experience with these churches (mainly in the Southern United States), and certainly is not universal (even in the South).

In most independent fundamental Baptist churches which I've visited or with which I am familiar, the main instruments used are either a piano or organ, or both. Most smaller churches usually have a piano. As they get a little larger, they often have both a piano and an organ. Usually no other instruments, although in some cases it only means that they don't have them, not that they don't believe in them. I know one larger IFB church that has a small "orchestra". And they are in fellowship with many churches that only have pianos and organs. And in some cases there are churches that would object to having these instruments in their own church, but won't fall out with another church that does something different. If they are missionary supporting, they usually have some experience with a missionary bringing in the instrument they use in their country (often a guitar or something like that).

So, for what it's worth, that's my experience.

9. Joman

Joman New Member

Why is it "wordly"?

Any musician here? Any way to play them in a "holly" way?

Are some Mixers and Amplifiers wordly too?

10. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

We just purchased an expensive mixer (don't know what it is, though...I just remember them voting on it).

I think the difference between carnal or worldly and being used spiritualy is how it's played. If you can't hear the words because the music drowns them out and is being beaten with a hard rhythm while the performer dances around on the platform, it doesn't seem to glorify the Lord. But, this is the church's decision (or the pastor's, depending on the way the church handles decisions like this). I think it's an individual song-by-song decision.

I remember in my former church an african-american member sang a solo and she sang with each individual note sliding up and down. It didn't sound bad and she had a nice voice, but I guess there were too many complaints because she was never asked to sing again.

Another thing our churches are beginning to do is prerecord music to play later or use prerecorded orchestra music from a Christian music company (usually in CD format). They play this over the sound system and the choir or special singers sing along with it instead of a pianist playing live. I remember this being a shock to the congregation initially, but they quickly got used to it.

11. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I belong to an IFB church and I regularly play guitar, violin, harmonica, piano, organ and clarinet. All to the glory of God!

12. Joman

Joman New Member

Soulman would you learn to play drums?

13. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Speaking of drums, why is it that no Baptists (that I'm aware of anyway) seem to object to the types of drums that a marching band would use (think "John Philip Sousa"); but many do object to "drum sets" (i.e. stationary floor drums w/ cymbals, etc.)? They are both percussion instruments with which a musician strikes a taut membrane with a stick to produce a noise.

Is it just a cultural, perception issue among Baptists that seems to make the one acceptable & the other unacceptable?

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

nobodyspecial wrote: "If you think about it, any instrument that is considered "churchy" can be made to sound rocky. It's not necessarily what you use, but how you use it."

My feelings exactly.

Elton John and Billy Joel both play the piano. Does that mean that my church should get rid of our Steinway Concert Grand? Of course not.

The same principle applies to any other instrument.

15. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a subject that seems to be constantly debated among baptist circles. I believe each individual church should decide the worship style that fits them.

In my humble opinion, I would love to see my church become more contemporary. I just don't think its going to happen. Alot of people want it, but I just don't see it any time in the near future.

If it was up to me I'd have guitar, bass, piano, drums and mandolines, etc. I enjoy playing worship music. I've always been contemporary in my musical style, but still very worshipful. If a church chooses not to use anything but an organ, then its their business. If a church uses more in a contemporary manner, then it is their business. I think we baptists need to spend less time telling people how to worship God and more time worshipping HIm ourselves.

In Christ,

Brooks

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It has to do with the way they are played, not with the drums themselves. And that is the issue with all musical instruments. It is not the instrument itself but rather the way that it is played that is at issue. Some churches object to certain instruments in corporate worship for wrong reasons. But this particular distinction you ask about (drums) has to do with the rhythm and how they are played.

17. LarryN

LarryN New Member

It has to do with the way they are played, not with the drums themselves. And that is the issue with all musical instruments. It is not the instrument itself but rather the way that it is played that is at issue. Some churches object to certain instruments in corporate worship for wrong reasons. But this particular distinction you ask about (drums) has to do with the rhythm and how they are played. </font>[/QUOTE]Thanks Larry. That's the answer I was hoping somebody would give.

18. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Amen!

Brooks, if you plan on being in central Missouri anytime soon, bring your instrument and play with our musicians!

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As was said above, it denends upon the individual congregation. There's no "one size fits all" answer.

As an opponent of legalism, I'm not against the use of ANY instrument in worshipping God with music. Personally, music is a very minor part of my worship; I have no musical talent and I couldn't care less if my church had no music at all.

GO AS THE HOLY SPIRIT LEADS YOU!

20. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Psa 150:1 Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
    Psa 150:2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
    Psa 150:3 Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.
    Psa 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    Psa 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
    Psa 150:6 Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Instruments are neutral. How you use them is either praiseworthy or not. [​IMG] [​IMG]