1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured My Church Hasn't had Communion for Two and a Half Years!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by InTheLight, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Men and women are equally sinful. Men and women are saved the same way. Men and women are designed by God for different, equally important, roles in the family and the church. We see this clearly in Scripture. Men and women, slave and free, and rich and poor are equally saved. However, Scripture then goes on to state how we live within our given roles...husband and wife, parent and child, and slave and master. It is not abusive to support and affirm the things God has called us to.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think so. As of right now we do not have our own building, we are meeting in a city-owned facility.

Excellent question. I don't know the answer. But I have heard the pastor say things like, "if you are a member or a regular attendee, you may: [be listed in the church directory], [attend a special function], etc. On the other hand, I've never heard a whisper from the pulpit or otherwise about how one 'joins' the church.

It's about 225 miles away.

I don't know. Should I ask for a meeting with the pastor and ask these questions?

It doesn't seem like something I would do.

Another thing that bothers me is that there is scarcely a mention about the need to be baptized, or any sermons on baptism, which I find extremely odd seeing that it is a BAPTIST church. They do baptize people but since they don't have their own building they have to ask other churches if they can use their facilities or else they have baptized at indoor pools. It could be that baptism is not mentioned very much (almost never) because we don't have a building and it's difficult to get baptismal facilities.

#23 InTheLight, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that's probably what I need to do. <sigh>

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You just made the biggest jump I've ever seen in this kind of an argument. Going from a loving, sacrificial headship like Jesus had to abuse? I'm sorry but that's just the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To the OP - I think the "pastor" is dishing up a big dish of rotten beans. He can't serve communion because he hasn't been given permission to? Jeepers - we have communion in our home groups at times, on the ladies' retreat (served by women, no less!) and at all of our campuses. Something sounds really fishy there....

7. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

Lord's Supper should be done often. Baptisms too. Sounds like some correction is called for.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yes. And I hope you will share his answers with us.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I am sorry, but I have been a part of church plants, and we still did communion. I can't say that I have ever been in a church except a pentecostal holiness church, that did not have communion at least a few times a year.

10. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All right, I have an update. Through email exchanges here is the rationale for not having communion:

1. They believe in closed communion. This means:
    a. Only saved individuals may participate
    b. Only church members may participate
    c. Participants must be right with God and fellow men
    d. Participants must not have "known" open sin in their life
    e. Participants must have a sober mind about the event

2. They are not yet "organized". (I don't know what this means, can anyone shed light on this?)

The pastor said he had spoken with the senior pastor of the planting church and said even though they were not organized they will likely have communion before the 4th anniversary of the church start-up date.

As to baptism, the reason why I haven't heard anything about it is because I must have missed the 9:30 Bible Study he did on it. Same answer for the topic of church membership. He said that he doesn't actively talk about or promote church membership because he prefers people to voluntarily seek him out and ask him about it. He believes the Holy Spirit will move people to ask about church membership and therefore it's not up to him to promote it.

He also said that the main Sunday morning church service was evangelistic in nature, and not meant to be instructive in church doctrines. He says he knows there are people in the main Sunday morning service that "have not gotten saved yet." From a practical standpoint this means that every sermon is a salvation message or has a good segment that is about salvation. I don't know if that is a good thing or not, probably a good thing. However, it means I've heard the same sermon (or parts of it) over 150 times.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

THIS WAS POSTED...regarding the traditional" "Man in charge of the house" view....

Agree completly

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I hold to closed communion, so I'm in basic agreement with points a through e. That said, I find it strange that the "mother church" would create a situation that effectively precludes observance of the Lord's Supper by members of the church plant.

Since I'm already on record as opposing "Lone Ranger" communion, that is, independently of the local church body, I propose a solution:

The church plant should immediately vote to become an autonomous Baptist church. The planting church should give its blessing, and pledge its assistance in making it happen. It it won't, too bad. Unless there's something in writing to prevent it, the new church can do what it wants to.

The new church should also elect at least a couple of deacons.

One other question out of curiosity: Is the church plant financially dependent on the mother church? If so, that explains a lot.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In the Light also wrote this:
    See, this is the problem with Lone Ranger communion. The way it's set up, only a small part of the planting church will have communion, independently of the rest of the church 225 miles away. How does that promote any kind of unity? No wonder we have posters here who are willing to split off from the rest of the church family to have their own family communion.

Frankly, I'm saddened that we even have to have this discussion.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I would be excluded because I'm not a member of the church. Even though I've attended since Day 1 and rarely miss a Sunday.

Would it possibly have something to do with the the pastor not being ordained and/or not having attended seminary?

Yes, that seems sensible. But the attitude and tone of the email response indicates to me that suggestions are not to be entertained. This is THE WAY WE DO THINGS.

I don't know, I'm not privy to that information, but my guess would be, yes.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just to be sure we are on the same page, the pastor of the my start-up church called the sending church's pastor and they decided it would be OK for the start-up church to have communion before the 4th anniversary.

It's caused me a lot of heartache. So I have to go to a church with open communion to get the Lord's Supper? Even if I were to join the church I'm attending, I wouldn't get an opportunity for communion until the spring of 2014. How do you think I feel for not having communion for over 3 years now?

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree with all of your points a to e except b, because I am against closed communion for a number of reasons. (another thread) That would solve that problem.

As far as advice goes, I would have a church business meeting in the plant church. I would vote to become autonomous, draft a Constitution and bylaws, form a budget, and inform the parent church you are now an independent New Testement Church. Also, as was suggested above, elect deacons, church officers, and call a pastor that is willing to lead. In this case, it will take one with thick skin. Then, when the church has an idea how the finances are going to go, I would hold communion, open or closed, depending on how the church voted, and not worry about the parent church. It will be bumpy at first, but as time passes, with the help of the Lord, your church will grow and be what the Lord would have it to be. It seems like the parent church is nothing but a millstone tied around your church's neck.

The type of communion is only a small element of the problem, but I have never seen anything positive come out of closed communion. I guess in a way I do believe in closed communion, it is closed to those who do not believe in Jesus Christ as their God, Lord and Savior, like the Mormons, JWs, and the like.

God bless you and your church in future endeavors as the Lord leads.

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

As you have read, SN and I disagree over who is admitted to the Lord's table. We are fellow deacons who serve the same church, and we do agree on this: That a local congregation makes that decision.

I'm having trouble understanding why you've been a faithful attender of that church and refuse to establish a covenant relationship with it. If it's because of the Lord's Supper thing, then I suggest, join it and help make it an independent, autonomous church, and establish guidelines for communion.

I'm sure it's not that simple, it ought to be.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why are there more regulations for churches to administer the Lords Supper than what the Bible gives? Many of the problems I have with today's church is the business structure mentality over the simple biblical model. I don't even see anywhere that someone has to become a "member" as opposed to attending. I'm a member of our church not because I agree with that practice, but due to serving requirements of the church. If this were me I would rather be obedient to Christ than the manmade extrabiblical requirements of the parent church. I believe communion is for believers, hence anyone who fits the requirement should partake. Its not up to us to deem who is worthy. I would either leave this church or partake on your own. The Lords Supper was a meal, anyway, not the trivial commercialized event we have reduced it to with tiny crackers and plastic shot glasses of grape juice.

19. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

It is more than just a meal!

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course, I never implied otherwise.