1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MY COMPLAINT!

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by MasterWalk, Mar 15, 2005.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Interesting stuff, rlv. Did you try to time that first mood, btw? My goodness, is that slow. I can't think of any song in our hymnal that's that slow. Doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

Make "We Three Kings" faster? How slow does your pianist play it? :D

"We Three Kings" certainly is a Scripturally incorrect song, but it's a cool song to play, nonetheless. There's something I like about minor key songs. There are plenty of other Scripturally incorrect songs we sing too, like "He Lives". Anybody know why "He Lives" might be considered incorrect?

Thanks for posting that stuff, rlv. I find it fascinating how things have evolved into what we have today.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, a general question on the "We Three Kings" song: Is the major objection most of you have the "Three Kings" part, or is there more that you find objectionable?

CC, the "average" speed at which I lead a 4/4 song is 2-1/2 seconds per measure. I have a pretty consistent "feel" for that. I am generally considered slow in comparison to common modern renditions (although this is a very broad statement, and I know some churches that sing really slowly). It is hard to imagine that the "first mood" of common time is almost twice as slow.

Most churches I am aware of that sing very slowly are "old-time" a cappella churches such as the Old Regular Baptists, and they tend to add quite a bit of ornamentation to the notes.

BTW, I love songs in the minor key. Unfortunately, these have gradually faded out of most churches' repertoires. I've seen fairly large songbooks without even one song in minor.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

LOL, Our rendition of 'We Three King's' sounds like a funeral dirge.