1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My experience at a revival - Baptism of Holy Spirit? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rando76, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Rando76

Rando76 New Member

All,

I would like start this post by saying that in no way am I trying to start an argument. I am new to this forum and found it when searching the web for answers. I have some questions and am hoping someone can help. First I'll start with what happened recently.
    I recently questioned whether the gifts of the Holy Spirit still existed (tongues, healing, etc). I have been in Baptist churches all of my life, so you all know how I was taught. I have spent much time studying and in prayer asking for guidance on this issue.
    Recently I was invited to and attended a Pentecostal revival. This was not my first time at a Pentecostal service as I once dated a girl that took me to her church several times. Anyway, I knew what to expect. I decided that during group prayer, that I would use that time to pray for guidance and direction.
    During prayer time, the evangelist and multiple members of the church layed hands on myself and my wife and prayed heavily. Several of them ended up in tongues before it was overwith. This lasted for a while. During this time I prayed for God to give me guidance. I asked if tongues and gifts were still in effect and if what I was seeing and hearing was right.
    Long story short, my right arm started shaking uncontrollably. I'm not talking about a seizure, but shaking and tingling. I clenched my first and tried to stop it. The evangelist must have noticed this because he started praying harder - he was was also on my right side. He then asked me to profess that Jesus is Lord and to praise the lord, which I did. I later learned in my own studies that these denominations often ask the people "baptized in the Holy Spirit" to profess Jesus in order to "test the spirits". After I professed Jesus is lord, he leaned down and told me in my ear: "What you are feeling now is the Holy Spirit, brother". The sensation on my right side slowly went away over the course of 20 minutes or so.
    I consider myself to be a down to earth guy and I don't believe that I would succumb to "emotionalism". I have never had anything like this happen to me before. I have talked with others that have experienced this and they tell me that it's the Holy Spirit and that I shouldn't deny it. However, this experience has really raised a lot of questions for me.
    What happened? Was this an evil spirit trying to represent itself as the holy spirit? Was this just me physically responding to something subconscious? Was this a light experience of the baptist of the Holy Spirit?
    I'm very confused and I would love to hear thoughts on this. :confused: I'm sorry for the long post and thank you everyone, in advance.

RC

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: God is not the author of confusion. 1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

3. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Rando, this isn't going to be the best place or solid answers, I fear.

Do you have a church home? If so, perhaps a conversation with a pastor is in order. Otherwise, my basic advice is to relax, and commit the experience to prayer. God has worked mightily through Pentecostals as well as those of us in nonPentecostal denominations. If God wishes to work through you with a gift like tongues, interpretation, etc, God will let you know. Similarly, if it's an emotional thing, God will let you know.

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I agree. There are too many conflicting opinions here. Underline opinions. We Baptists believe that each morning we are to pray for an infilling of the Holy Spirit. That doesn't mean he went somewhere while we were asleep, just that we want to be totally committed to Christ throughout our day. Life-changing experiences often come one day at a time.

5. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

You didn't realize the whole time the jerk was pinching your arm to stop the circirculation?

6. Rando76

Rando76 New Member

I know this. I guess what is confusing to me is that it's not clear and I'm confused.

Yes, I know that guidance will come as long as I seek. I realize I need to be patient. I've just not seen any answer yet. Thanks :thumbs:

As do I, friend...as do I.

Believe me, I thought of this. :laugh: I thought of it when it was happening as I was trying to determine causes. However, all of the people that layed their hands on us had a very gentle touch and never actually wrapped their hands or pinched any part of my arm, shoulder, or back.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I was thinking much along the line like Shiloh! I wonder if there was a bit of - not so much a pinch but something like ..... ummmm ....... I'm trying to think of what it could be - kind of like an accupuncture kind of thing - but not. I don't remember reading anywhere in Scripture where someone gets numb by the Holy Spirit, though.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Maybe somebody was trying out their new martial arts move, the Vulcan Neck Pinch. :smilewinkgrin:

9. Rando76

Rando76 New Member

:laugh:

It felt nothing like numbness - not like when your leg goes to sleep. There was no pinching, squeezing, or holding by anyone - and I was not sitting in any kind of contorted position. Believe me, I have thought of all these things. :( I wouldn't have posted a message if I could have explained it off with one of these. My wife and I have discussed this quite a bit.

10. amity

amity New Member

Did anything unusual happen to her? And what does she make of your experiences there?

11. His Blood Spoke My Name

On the tongues:
    If man is speaking unto God in the unknown tongue, why are the so-called interpretations that follow in most Pentecostal churches given to man from God? Should not the interpretation be something like this:

O my Father, I thank Thee...

or

O Lord, I love you...

Also, since the tongues were a sign to the unbelieving Jews, are the Pentecostal churches saying that someone in their congregation is unsaved even though all have professed Christ years ago?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - Again - you said shaking and tingles? I'd still wonder if that was from God since there's no Scriptural evidence to support that.

I remember our pastor going to a church where there was a lot of pentacostal kind of things going on and the pastor from that other church went around praying and laying on of hands on everyone - and so many fell over (so they had someone behind them to catch them). My pastor was praying "God, if this is from you, make it clear - if it's not, then let me stand". The pastor came to our pastor, put his hand on his forehead and started praying and speaking in tongues - and got louder and louder as my pastor continued to stand. During that time, MY pastor was continuing to pray. At one point, he tried to PUSH our pastor and he wouldn't go over. Finally the pentacostal pastor opened his eyes and GROWLED at our pastor - then moved on - but no one else fell over after that. He said it was totally weird!

I'd pray for God's clarity in what happened. I know He will guide you in truth to be able to discern what happened and if it was from Him or not.

13. Rando76

Rando76 New Member

My wife did not experience anything. When it happened, she was in prayer as well. She does not dispute the experience and is confused as to what it was or what it means. Like I said before, we have discussed this many times in an attempt to come up with an explanation such as "he squeezed my arm", etc. But none fit the experience.

I wish I could say it was faked, then I wouldn't have any question. And, like the post on the Pentecostal pastor that tried to push another pastor over, I'm sure there are many faked events (I don't want to be one to judge though). However, the experience I had was NOT faked - and that's the most confusing part. :tear:

I continue to pray and study since the event, which is what has led me here. I asked for direction before the revival (before I was even invited) and continue to today. I guess I'm concerned since there has been no clear answer so far. I just don't want to ignore something if it was meant as direction, but at the same time, I don't want to be deceived. I know that as long as I pursue the truth, it will become evident. But sometimes waiting is hard to do. :rolleyes:

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess my question would be - did it SEEM like the Holy Spirit? Is what happened consistent with how He worked in Scripture? I don't doubt your experience at all - I'm absolutely sure it happened - hey, you even have a witness! To me, I'd ask WHY would the Holy Spirit set my arm to shaking - what was the purpose in that? Ya know?? What was He communicating to you through that?

I've never experienced anything like that so I can't help you but I do know to measure everything we have happen against the Word of God. I pray you find an answer and peace!

15. amity

amity New Member

At my very most cynical it sounds like it could have been a very mild electric shock administered surreptitiously.

At my most trusting, I would say that I have had some very odd experiences in non-charismatic church myself (my own church or at other peoples' meetings) that even now looking back I feel were genuine. So the isolated experience of having an arm shake I don't know what to say about.

Two things you can do:
    1. Try to go back and replicate the experience. Pay more attention this time! This will help expose fraud if that is what it is. Tell the preacher you want to have the same experience again, even, to encourage him to repeat whatever he did, if it was indeed something he did.
    2. Trust God and pray, which of course you are already doing.

#15 amity, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2007
  16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you consulted with a physician?
    I would suspect a stroke if suddenly one side of my body went into spasm.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I say leave them alone, if its of God you couldn't tear it down anyway and if its of man it will fall flat on its face. You have your own church and as for you and your house serve the Lord and let them do as they may. I can guarntee you that you will not change their minds.

18. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rondo,

Have you seen the interpreter for the tongue speaking and praying?
    I am afraid they are on the wrong track.

Many Pentecostal people misunderstand that the fullness of Holy Spirit comes with emotional feelings and tongues. But they should know this Bible verse:

1 Cor 14:27-28
    27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God

If they do it without interpreter, they are disobeying God.
    The fruits of the Holy Spirit are Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance ( Gal 5:22)

Does the unknown tongues praying enhance your personality and character in this aspect?
    Otherwise, it is just a kind of human mental concentration or fixation, which comes from Soul, not from Spirit.

When the Holy Spirit comes to us, He convicts us of our sins, makes us repent, gives us the Forgiveness of Sins by informing us what Jesus has done at the Cross, then teach us the righteous living, the godly life, to be Sober, to find the joy in reading Bible, to live holy life in a vigilant attitude. This is called the fullness of the Holy Spirit.

Pentecostals often mislead the people to pursue the emotional feelings and some kind of a heat in their hearts.
    One Pentecostal lady came into our church, but she didn’t have the conviction of the forgiveness of sins! When she listened to the Gospel, she was born again, and had all the emotional memory at the Pentecostal Church washed away.

Human souls can do many miraculous works, without the help of Holy Spirit, but it is not the Fruits of the Holy Spirit.

My criticism may not apply to all the Pentecostal churches as I met a good preacher at a Pentecostal Church who preaches Gospel correctly all the time, but in many cases, Pentecostal Churches lead the people to pursue some emotional feelings instead of the Words of God which can change their lives to be godly and holy, and of the wisdom of God.

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Rando,

As a pentecostal myself I can say that there is indeed the possibility that you had a legitimate experience that had at its origin the Holy Spirit.

There is no need to over analyse it. It might lead to something more, it might not. You may have many more experiences like this, or you may never have another one. You might one day be given the gift of tongues, you may never recieve that gift.

The important thing is to never limit God regarding the gifts that He still gives, just like He gave them 2000 years ago. Always have a heart that desires all that God might want you to have, but at the same time dont ever let anyone put you on a guilt trip or feel that you are a "2nd class" believer if you dont recieve a particular gifts, such as tongues.

We need to be careful not to go in either extreme. The error of believing every christian must recieve a particular gift, or the equally tragic mistake of believing the gifts are not for today.

God bless you,

Mike

20. His Blood Spoke My Name

The gift of tongues is nothing more than languages... dialect.

It is not this insane babbling that people claim to be the 'unknown tongue'.

It is not this babbling that people always interpret as being from God to man.

The men of the town at Pentecost heard those who had been filled with the Spirit that day speaking 'in our own tongue', not an unknown babbling. What was their tongue? Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Aramaic, the language of that day.

People of that day who never spoke Greek before began speaking it fluently. People who never spoke Latin, began orating and praising God in the Latin tongue.

When a Pentecostal speaks of the gift of tongues, he or she is not speaking of known languages, but is prompting one to speak a language that is so misinterpreted it is pathetic.