1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Jehovah's witness

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Emily25069, May 6, 2006.

1. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I have a Jehovah's witness. Her name is Brooke. She has been coming to drop of booklets to me for over a year now I think. Usually she just comes alone, but today she came with her husband.

Usually I just smile and take the magazine's and thank her and then close the door. She has never tried to shove anything down my throat and when she has had a bible verse, she has welcomed me to open mine and look at it with her. Today I felt like asking a question. I asked my question and her and her husband were more than prepared to answer it with scripture. It was interesting.

Dont worry about me. Im not about to become a JW or anything like that. I have read enough about their religion to know that its terribly terribly off, but there have a couple things that I have noted about them that I wish more Christians were like. (Btw.. this isnt just about Brooke. My maid of honor at my wedding was raised JW and at her family functions (graduation parties, summer parties, since they dont do holidays) I noticed this about them as well, but this definately carries over to Brooke.) I talk to them because I dont want to be rude. I want my testimony as a Christian to show. Im sure that they have had doors slammed in their faces even by Christians, and I firmly believe that that isnt right. Anyways, what I have noticed.

1. They are always very humble and polite.
    2. They are very well versed in their bible. We should be so well versed in ours.
    3. The Kingdom Hall does a very good job equipping their members for witnessing.

Too bad their religion is heretical, eh?

I have met Christians who carry pride and attitude problems even into witnessing. This can definately be me at times. If I feel threatened by a question or whatnot, sometimes I dont carry myself in the best way at all. (of course, the biggest dilemna is that I dont do much witnessing) Im not so well versed in my bible and actually not even one church I have attended does much more to get me equipped than say "its important to read your bible". I dont think that my church is rare. I dont think most churches do their job in equipping the saints for witnessing either, which is sad, because it is their job to do that. That is what church is for.

It makes me sad.

Anyways. I have decided to really start praying for Brooke, and I just wanted to share that I have a JW.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

You might look into the web sites of ex-jw's for guidance.

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi Emily, [​IMG]

Personally I think it's actually OUR job to equip ourselves to be good witnesses more than it being the job of the church. I think when we say that we are actually pushing the responsibility off onto someone else and giving ourselves an excuse for not being prepared to give an answer as to what and why we believe. There are far more instances in the Bible where we as individuals are commanded to learn and study on our own and equip ourselves to grow and be good witnesses.

Because of that fact, I am going to encourage you to go ahead and equip yourself to really answer this dear JW lady. Being polite to her is a good thing, and it will hopefully mean she will be willing to listen to you. But being polite to her is just your duty as a human, it is not in and of itself enough of a witness to her to bring her to a true saving faith. Go ahead and step out there and try to actually show her why you will not be joining her church.

Right now she thinks you are a prospect. That's why she keeps coming back. Truly being a good witness to her means that you tell her the truth. You've taken a few good first steps, don't let it stop there.

5. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Oh yes how we should have more Baptist with the moral high ground and seperation of Mormons and the dedication and willingness of witnessing that JW's have. What a revival this nation would see!!

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Where can I get one? How often do you have to feed them? Do they do well in a kennel while you are at work?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Tom,

That's a great site! Thank you so much for the link.

Bitsy

9. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I'll have to add that to my collection.

10. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

11. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have taken the time to speak to every JW that has come to my door, for as long as they are willing to keep coming back. I used to view them as a debate opponent, but got nowhere. Now I try to view them as friends, who are lost, and need the truth. But I agree with your #1.

But I disagree with 2 and 3. They are very well versed in a few verses. As long as you let them give their pre-determined speech that they always have, then they come across very smooth. But I've found that if I nicely ask a few hard questions, they don't answer my questions, but rather jump verses to another one that they are familiar with. Further, they take verses out of context. They never start at the begining and work through a whole passage, but rather just do bible verse hopskotch.

The Kingdom Hall does a very good job of equipping their members for sticking to a few texts. When they get off of those, they're generaly lost and uncomfortable, and want to skip back to their favorites, which they've taken out of context.

I generally approach them by asking a hard question, which they have to go study, and usually come back in a week or two with another more experienced person. I'll try to hold them to a passage, they skip around, and they don't come back anymore.

You would do a lot of door knocking too, if you were trying to work your way into salvation.

But I have been more successful being cordial and polite.

12. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

JackRus and baptistteacher are right. The last time I invited JWs into my home, I told them at the outset of our conversation that we had an insurmountable difference over the deity of Christ, but I'd be willing to discuss it if they wished. I took them to John 20:28, where Thomas calls the resurrected Jesus "my Lord and my God." I pointed out that Jesus had the perfect opportunity to correct Thomas and didn't. The only answer they had was that God was in fact little-g, not G.

In my first experience talking with them, we had a cordial discussion, but obviously no minds were changed. As they prepared to leave, I said,"before you go, let me give you my testimony." So I told them how God had saved me. Then I said, "now you give me your testimonies. Tell me about your hope of heaven." You talk about hemming and hawing. One of them wanted to go back to her baptism. "No, I want to know when God stirred your heart, convicted you of your sin and changed your heart." More hemming. Because JWs really don't relate to that kind of experience. At any rate, as the left, I invited them to come back any time.

13. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

how many of us are willing to do for the truth what the cultist will do for a lie?

the average JW can turn the average Christian into a doctrinal pretzel in under 5 minutes...

1Pe 3:15 esv but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you;

blessings,
    Ken

14. Kilad

Kilad New Member

My in-laws are JEW and they held a bible study or what ever they call it, when we were staying with them. The conversation turned to demons. I cant remember exactly what was said (i wish i could) but I refuted their statement with the story of Jesus casting the demons out of the man into the pigs. (Matthew 8:28-34) The JW told me that that was not contained within the Bible and challenged me to show it to them, then handed me one of their bibles. I set theirs down and opened mine and located the passage. Needless to say I was no longer welcome to attend those get togethers and I haven't seen a JW in about 10 years now. The sad part is after we left my in-laws house the JW hit them in force and repaired the "Damage" that I had done.

The link you provided is wonderful and The video on there is great and full of information. Now to get the in-laws to watch that video.

15. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I would have to disagree with your pretzel logic. :D

I was a Christian less than two years when a JW came knocking at my door on a Saturday afternoon. I was leaving the house and invited them back on Thursday night. I wasn't familiar with their doctrine, so I read up on them from The Kingdom of the Cults book that my brother had in the house.

I was reluctant to do so but the Holy Spirit impressed upon me that lawyers regularly defend guilty criminals for money. Shouldn't I defend the honor of my precious Lord Who died for me?

I studied for three days after work on the deity of Christ. The JW had one or two verses and spoke for about two minutes and I spoke for two hours. And thus started my apologetics fervor.

I have to agree with Tom Butler in that they are only dangerous against people that know little or no Scripture. They stick to their proof-texts, and if you know Scripture, they don't come back. I never saw them again.

Verses that stymie them are Heb. 1:8. Rev. 1:18 (when was the Father ever dead?), Jesus claiming to be the I Am of Exodus 3 in John 8:24,58.

And in Ps. 93:2 it says that God is from everlasting. JW's insist that Jesus was created, so He had to have had a point in time beginning if He was created. But in Micah 5:2 it says about Jesus that "whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting." So He could not have been created. Only God Himself is self-existent and is from eternity past.

Show from John 3:18,36; 8:24 and 1 John 5:12-13 that one must believe that Jesus is God in order to get to heaven.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter
    7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward. 9 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

17. teachermom

teachermom New Member

I'm convinced that if you answer well or confuse their prepared text, they usually don't come back -- ever.

My daughter was a student for one year at Utah State as a gymnast. I'm sure the Mormon missionaries thought they would get this little Baptist girl. She is so well grounded and unafraid to speak up that she had them so confused they left in mid sentence. They never came back to see her and we haven't been visited by the "missionaries" since then, though I see them real often in our neighborhood. It's like we're on their black list now.

18. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Thank you all for your replies.

I definately do not feel ready to speak to them. I am not very well versed in bible sadly, and I have been a Christian for over 10 years.

But maybe I can give them my testimony.

19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yes, call me crazy, but I had this pop into my head!

It is a Jehovah's Witness song, to the tune of "My Sharona" by The Knack. Can you imagine them showing up at your door and singing . . .

20. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Emily,

if you wait until you think you are ready on your own, than you very well may never speak to them at all. Id warrant a guess that if you've been saved for that long you know more than you realize. Go to the websites that have been linked to by others, study the verses and really comprehend their meaning, and then pray and ask God to give you the words to use. It is the Holy Spirit who reminds us of what we have heard, and it's God talking through us when we are witnessing.

Your testimony is a great way to begin, btw! Good idea! [​IMG]