1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Largest Concern as a Ron Paul Supporter: Senator Chuck Hagel

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 11, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are some, though, who see a plausible scenario in which Hagel could at least have a serious impact on the Republican race.

Once it becomes clear this fall that the surge is a failure, veteran Republican strategist Roger Stone says, there will be “the opportunity for a late-blooming anti-war candidacy.”

“There will be a growing plurality of Republicans who believe this war is folly,” said Stone, who officially supports McCain but has been disappointed with the Arizonan’s effort to curry favor with conservatives.
    “In New York and Pennsylvania and Southern California, they believe [the war was a mistake]. By 2008 the heartland will believe that, too.”

Stone likened Hagel to former Rep. Pete McCloskey, the California Republican who opposed the Vietnam War and mounted an anti-war bid against President Richard Nixon in 1972. But Stone says that unlike McCloskey—who, like Hagel, was a decorated combat veteran—the Nebraskan would benefit from the multi-candidate Republican field.

The 11 percent McCloskey drew in the New Hampshire primary on a peace platform could prove more significant in a race where many candidates split the vote.

“It’s quixotic, no question about it, but all he’s got to do is produce a significant number of votes in Iowa and New Hampshire and the rest will take care of itself,” Stone argued. “The media bump would let him ride an anti-war streak through the rest of the primaries.”

By the time such larger states as Florida, California, New Jersey and New York hold primaries on February 5, Hagel would be in a good position. “It’s a mistake to underestimate among suburban Republicans how unpopular the war is,” Stone said.

If nothing else, Hagel’s entry into the field would shake up the Republican primary, Stone said. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and ex-New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani will both be “sounding more like Hagel by the fall” on the war.

Even with little grassroots support, his candidacy as a Republican would find a home on the television news. His snappy sound-bites and willingness to harpoon fellow Republicans already make him a television talk-show staple, and a GOP bid premised on opposition to Iraq would only elevate his presence on the tube.

He’d seek to force the Republican primary conversation about Iraq, a topic each of the current top GOP contenders know will damage them in the general election. And if he runs as an independent? With a lifetime American Conservative Union rating north of 85, Hagel would make it difficult for Republicans to peg him as squishy liberal.

Finally, there is probably no Enlisted Infantrymen for Truth group at the ready to claim that Sgt. Hagel didn’t earn his two Purple Hearts in Vietnam the hard way.

- more at www.politico.com/news/stories/0307/3077.html

Senator Hagel is to announce whether he will run for president or not on Monday, March 12.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By deferring his decision that pretty much means that Hagel will not join the race.

I am breathing easier now. :)

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

And Hagel was the one Republican that might have flipped this Democrat.

4. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

How so, Bro. Jeff? What do you think of Ron Paul?

James

PS Hope you are doing well.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Enlisted men tend to actually earn their medals and citations.:thumbs:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I thought Hagel supported the war, just not the way Bush is handling it?

7. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. James

Hope all is well in Texas. I am not a liberarian, so Paul is a non-starter for me. What I like about Hagel is his willingness to go against his party if he sees things differently. Not so much about his stand on Iraq, but his willingness to be more honest (at least that is my perception) than the average politician. There are lots of things that he believes that I don't but that honesty trumps them for me.

Had another short hospitialization last week for the diabetes.

Jeff

8. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Hello Bro. Jeff,

I also am not a Libertarian. I am actually more of a populist, in the likes of Teddy Roosevelt. Somewhat like a progressive (a Primitive Baptist admitting that...oooooh), I guess, socially conservative and fiscally moderate (and environmentally conscious).

That said, I know that Ron Paul truly follows his beliefs and wants to make this a better country than it has become in the last 50 or so years. The others running so far are too socially liberal for me and I don't really feel that I can trust any of them. They all have loads of baggage with them.

Caracter, for me, is a big issue. That's the reason I voted for Kinky Friedman for Governor. I agreed with few of his ideas, but I believe he was the only candidate who was honest enought o give us his real opinions about things. That is probably what cost him the election. Most folks don't want to hear the truth from politicians. They all want a feel good message...kind of like listening to Joel Osteen; great motivational speaker, but no real gospel.

I'll have to look into Sen. Hagel's agenda to get a better feel for him.

Much of my like of Ron Paul is because the higher ups in neither party really likes him. Anyone who can upset Congress must be doing something right.:laugh:

Hope you are feeling better this week. I'd say quit eating so much sugar, but then you'd have to start skipping lunch at church, and that's just asking too much, isn't it?:laugh:

James

9. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Bro. James

I am good about the sugars. Just one of the 10% or so of diabetics that nothing much works for.

As for the politicians in this crop of presidential contenders, I haven't seen any of either/any party that suits me. I am leaning right now toward John Edwards though. It is way too early to make ones mind up on these things, IMO.

I am fairly liberal except in church matters, go figure. In some ways I am probably more liberal than any on this board but on others probably way more conservative than anyone else. It just depends on the subject. I don't pigeon hole myself to one political philosophy. And no one understands that. :BangHead: