1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My new love for commentaries

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Pete Richert, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I have fallen in love with Biblical commentaries. I want to get my hand on one for each book. I want to get my hand on two for each book! I'm getting greedy!

The problem is, I'm poor, they're expensive, and since I am not a pastor (or even a Bible student), I can't convince my wife that they are nesicary. I have to beg for birthdays from my family and try to do extra work for money (because any normal work money belongs to my wife and children). Can anybody relate???

2. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Mr, Richert -

Since you have the internet, you have a myriad of commentaries right at your fingertips for free!
    I'll give you a few to start you:

http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/

http://godsview.com/gvcmarch.html

http://www.thunderclap.org/

and here is the Google search for them:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Bible+Commentaries&btnG=Google+Search

You may also want to join us in the Bible reading format and pose questions or read the contributor's commentaries.

Hope this helps.

May God bless you as you strive to gain a deeper understanding of His word.

- Clint

3. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

Go to Amazon.com and pick up a copy of D.A. Carson's New Testament Commentary Survey 5th Edition for sage advise on which commentaries are best, cheapest, and right for you. It just came out and is up to date. There is an OT volume also published by Baker written by Tremper Longman III, but it is slightly dated (mid-nineties). Carson's book is about $10.

Best wishes,

Chick

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I actually ordered Carson's book about a week ago and expect its delivery today1

5. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Brother Clint on this commentaries are expensive and not only that you are stuck with the size of type when you buy one. I have Gills commentary at home handed down from my father but the type is so small I use the one from the net! I can finally read it in any size I want. There are very many God honoring commentaries on the net to greatly enhance your study of the word of God. You don't even have to go to the library as its right in front of you.
    Not only that if you need a reference on a particular subject you can print it and put it in a three ring binder... Thats what I do!... Hope this helps... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

7. got2liv4him

got2liv4him New Member

8. Molly

Molly New Member

We "collect"(I guess you could say)the John MacArthur commentaries. My husband LOVES them and we study them alot. I always give him 2 or 3 for birthdays father's day,Christmas,etc. That way we spend about $25 on them just a few times a year. We actually have a lot now,so sometimes it just takes a while. Our bible store has them on sale a lot ,too. Check for sales. I highly recommend these to you....they are very thorough and accurate. But,we do alot of our own word studies with Zodiates word study and exhaustive concordances...I recommend these books,too. We love to read God's Word and study His precepts.