1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My rant on singles groups

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Xingyi Warrior, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Xingyi Warrior

Xingyi Warrior New Member

You're just a different kind of person glen316. And I might point a VERY marginal exception, not the rule.

2. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are my experiences with singles groups:

1) In a large church in a large North Carolina metropolitan area, I was involved with the singles for six months. In some ways that was a blessing as I made friends with whom I could hang out as I started a new phase in my life--having just gone through an ugly experience where the woman I was engaged to angrily broke off our engagement. I also took a road trip with this group of singles and went to a couple of social activities with them like baseball games. I also was in a small-group Bible study which was a very meaningful experience. However, there were its drawbacks. At Sunday school, I often felt isolated. Plus there would be many weeks where I would meet new singles and become very attracted to them; but the next week when I talked to these people they acted like they didn't know me.

2) After flunking out of graduate school at a reputable Southern university, I moved to a Tennessee community of approx 60,000 and joined a large congregation which was close to the Christian college where I resumed my graduate studies. I think, even to this date, that the only reason I went to that church in the first place was because a guy I had worked with many summers before at Ridgecrest was there. I was soon turned off by the people in the singles group (which had a full-time staff minister overseeing everything). They had a lot of organized activities (road trips, mission projects, etc) that cost alot of money, but the minister in charge of the group always told us not to let money be a factor... . I even felt bad about asking the minister to pay for my dinner at a restaurant we went to in Kentucky. But at the time I was going through a very rough time as I had flunked out of grad school and had a hard time making ends meet due to the lack of well-paying jobs in that community. I would get laughed at by singles in the group when I told them of my plight. And they always went out to eat at expensive restaurants where I couldn't even afford to order an appetizer. This especially hurt me, as I was starting to receive food stamps. Needelss to say, a month after moving my letter to that church, I was gone.

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

There is much good to being single. Paul was single (perhaps having been divorced - he was a Pharisee, which meant that he HAD to have been married). Some people are called to be single, as we read in I Corinthians.

That said, I would say that going to a church to find a woman or a man to connect with to take the next step is outside the boundaries of Scripture. A church's role is to evangelize the lost and edify the believer, and more than one single's group has been torn apart because of relationships within that group that dissolved.

Until a person can be complete apart from a spouse, he or she will never be complete with a spouse. As Glen said, (who is COMPLETELY right, I think), the only person that can fit that emptiness is Jesus Christ, and until we can trust in Him completely, no matter of church hopping with satisfy, and no type of single's group will satisfy.

I am looking for the day when single's ministries will be focused on discipleship and the individuals becoming like Christ - when they move beyond the need to marry off and realize their need to share the gospel with the world. I firmly believe that if those are the priorities of a single person, then God will give them the life that He wants them to have.

SEC, 25 years old, single man.

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Interesting thread! I'd like to make a number of comments as someone who is married for the second time at age 34 having got divorced at age 29 and been a Christian since age 16:-

1. Firstly, Baptist and Protestant churches are generally biased towards marriage and the emphasis tends to be on families, at the expense of singles. In part this is both a good thing as marriage is the bedrock of society and it was also a correct response historically to the erroneous Catholic emphasis on celibacy, but I think in many respects, contrasted with the NT (particularly Paul's teaching),the pendulum has swung too far against celibacy in most Protestant churches. I remember when I was recently divorced how the term 'Family Service' used to stick in my gullet and how I would often stay away from such services as they were all-too painful reminders of what I had lost.

2. I'm not convinced that singles groups are a solution to the problem (they can be sometimes but tend to only work when they are not called singles groups but operate more as 20s and 30s groups for social activities where many- but crucially not all - in the group are single). Rather, the whole church needs to recognise that we are made up of both singled and married, with or without children, and that even half of those who are married will one day be single again through divorce or more likely the death of the spouse, and start operating as a real family to each other, honouring the celibate life as much as the married.

3. Flowing from #2 above, there is a need to recognise that not all singles are the same anymore than there is such a thing as a 'typical marriage'. Some, like I was, are divorced and hurting badly and are more of a 'pastoral issue' (which can need one-on-one counselling, chats with the elders/ pastor or simply,as was the case mainly with me, being invited to Sunday lunch by various families on a semi-regular basis! Back to the whole church being in relationship with one another regardless of status....), some are long-term single and are unhappy with that which again is something of a pastoral point, some are single and you can tell why (!), some are widowed, a few (but this is most unusual in my experience and beware suspecting this until you really know) may have homosexual tendencies and are celibate with it to be obedient to Scripture (in which case the church really does need to be their family) and some are short- or long-term single and are quite happy with that. In all cases the church needs to be their family.

4. Re Joseph's question: I see nothing wrong with the idea of fellowship and relatioships- that's perfectly Biblical - see eg: Acts 2:42, Hebrews 10:24-25 and of course Paul's discourse on the Body in I Cor 12-13. If we can't do that as the Church then we might as well pack up and go home.

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. ScottEmerson

Matt, are you comfortable with singles who take fellowship to the nth degree to the point where they select a church based mainly on the ability and possibility of finding a mate?

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am past 40, never married, and have been involved in Christian Singles church groups and larger bases of activities [state conferences, Glorieta Labor Day conferences (+ 1 at Ridgecrest)] for many years, and I think I can see just about everyone's views who has posted on this. And with all my 'involvement' and fluctuating burnout, I do not have the inclination to write alot about my overall views.

The only thing that has really gotten a wave of interest for me here is the rather disguised subtopic here, "that is/is not what the church is for." A long time ago, I went along with a long-time pastor who said the church is to praise the Lord, for it's hard for a believer to think otherwise about that. But he always continued his explanation with "not primarily for fellowship, or friendship, or even to 'win the lost.'"

Watch it there! While praise makes up a large essential element of what the church is for, we could do that all the more and all the better if this world ended and we are into the next world. So there is some reason or reasons we are here in this far-from-perfect situation and still called to assemble ourselves together, to share our gifts and talents, to know each other and what needs we can meet. All I have to say about singles' groups in regard to this is that if children's groups, youth groups, 'golden agers' groups and others, especially within a medium-to-large church are helpful in meeting these needs because of "like-mindedness" of those involved based on situation in life-- then single adult groups should be considered the same way.

The church is not for leisure activities, annual picnics, finding a business associate, beginning a 'relationship,' exchanging news, talking about hobbies, forming a Thursday morning breakfast club..... but if these things occur, largely as a result of meeting people in the classe or department who relate to your own stage or situation in life, this meets various needs with godliness-- at least a form thereof-- included, which are likely to be done entirely on a secular basis otherwise. While that is not necessarily much, at least it's something.

7. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

To Scott:no. There is nothing wrong with singles being pro-active and seeking out a church where they are more likely to find a mate (eg: if your home church is full of old or married people then it COULD pay to find another church - but see my caveat in the para below), but I would have a problem if that was the only or even the main criterion for joining a church - the main criteria should be doctrinal purity, preaching the Gospel etc and NOT whether they've got attractive singles! Eg a Baptist boy who joins the local Catholic church because it has more attractive girls has totally lost the plot.

BUT, I would even question to what extent 'church-hopping' is a valid activity for the committed Christian looking for a mate, particularly in view of the plethora of Christian dating agencies especially on-line - surely this is a better and more church-committe way of being pro-active...?

Yours in Christ

Matt

8. Xingyi Warrior

So are you saying that you're in favor of online Christian dating agencies as an alternative for Christians? I'm not saying that if you are that you're wrong, I'm just curious as to your position. I really don't see a problem with "church hopping" to find a potential mate any more than I do with "business hopping" when you're appying and looking to find a new job. I mean how else are you going to find one. I know that a lot of people preach sitting around and hoping it will come to them but in my experience it usually never works anymore than it would if you were seeking a job.

I think that the whole point of this is that Paul was CALLED to being single. HE wasn't dragged by God begging and screaming. I've known a few (very few) people like that and its not something that happens all of a sudden. It's usually something innate, as are other gifts from the Lord.

And about Glen316 - he's dealing with ideals. Reality always paints a different picture. A lawman should strive to be like a "Lone Ranger" while realizing that he/she probably never will be. If I evaluated my success as a Christian based upon thoise ideals I would be depressed constantly.

And I think the whole issue here is based on the fact that singles groups have been by and large such monumental disapointments. There is clearly a problem that exists beyond the scope of just telling people that they're not living right for God.

9. ScottEmerson

XW, the end result is that we should all be striving to become like Christ. This is something we can do with or without another person. It is only when we rest in the presence of God that we find ourselves not worrying about finding a spouse. We just trust God in that area.

As for me, literally the week when I said, "I quit. I'm tired of looking and looking. I'm going to just sit back and trust God," that Saturday, through providence, I met the woman that I am going to marry in less than two months. That happened over two years ago, but God supernaturally worked in that area, I believe. It wasn't until I was finding my completeness in Him that I found the one God had in mind for me.

I think church hopping by and large is a symptom of a deeper sickness, no matter the reason behind it. It's one thing to leave a church because of a doctrinal issue. To leave it because you don't think you'll find a wife is immature, I think. It says that you don't trust God. Maybe he's placed you in a certain church for a reason. Don't mess up what God has already planned, no matter the reason.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Whew! No, really, tell us what you really think!!!

Actually, I can relate in a small way. Several years ago, when I divorced, I attended the singles group in my church (my church has a membership of about 10k). But it was a small, ragtag group, withthe people mostly of near retirement age. It seems that all the singles my own age were involved in other groups in the church, so I got involved in some other groups. I joined the choir for a while (lots of singles there), as well as a few other groups. I eventually found a bible study with folks in my age group and similar experiences. I stayed with them until recently, when other commitments required me to leave, afterwhich I joined a smaller home bible study comprising of, well, computer sci-fi geeks in their mid 30's, just like me [​IMG] .

Interestingly, my cousin's RCA church, which has a membership of about 15k, has a very active singles ministry, with plenty of people my own age. I did end up going there for a few, but preferred to seek support in my own church first.

11. Xingyi Warrior

Scott, I don't have problems finding members of the opposite sex to fill my time with. I am an alpha male and most women I know personally are attracted to me and I'm always meeting new ones.
    If it simply isn't "coming to me" I just go out and grab someone and go out. Being the person I am though I have that luxury and I realize that by and large most people do not. The right one? I don't know maybe God will bring her to me. But in the meantime I'm not going to sit around and collect dust. I think that most of the problems with people I see are that they aren't dating like I am and they get depressed and feeling worthless. What should they do? Beats me.

Well Scott this is where I disagree. 1 - I like to date women. I like to hang out with my buds as well, but there's just certain types of companionship that they can't give me. 2 - I want to date Christian gals and I prefer the 18 - 25 crowd. Above that and I kind of tend to lose interest. And yes I know that eventually all women I date will age but I like to start with them. Its a personal thing and seeing how that if the relationship will run its course and be successful - I'm the one thats going to be sleeping with them(after marriage)so I have the right to have preferences. So if a particular church is not providing me with an outlet to meet and socialize as I like then yes I'll move on. Its either that or start dating unsaved people which I do believe that you and I both agree would not be in the best interests of anybody. Scott I've never had God just drop something in my lap wether it be a job or whatever. I've had to go looking and usually work for it. And I'm out there right now checking out the possibilities. But I'm not going to put my life on hold and just do nothing or I'll end up like most of the people in these singles groups that we've been talking about. And I've never felt that I have been placed in any particular church for any reason. I've contributed to the ones I have attended and when I felt it was time to move on then I did. And if I wanted to devote my entire life 100% to the ministry why would I do it in a singles group in lieu of the atmosphere that exists in a large number of them?

I'm glad you've seemingly found your niche. And I usually end up doing what you've done by networking in other groups. But the situation you've described above is a caveat to me. I am in my 30's as well but I don't usually get along with people my own age. I get along with younger and older people but there has always been tension between me and my temporal peers. And seeing how I am not interested in older women, well that leaves the younger ones who I go out with. Most women I date average about 10 years my junior. And hey we have a blast when we go out. But it sometimes is difficult in some churches to get yourselves in proximity of those people when the structure of many groups such as the singles seems to encourage lumping you in with those who they deem to be your type (30 year old computer geeks).

12. ScottEmerson

XW - just a thought - maybe you are "looking for love in all the wrong places?"

And you said, "And I've never felt that I have been placed in any particular church for any reason." Then, perhaps, you haven't found the church that God wants you. When I was in my old city, I found the church that God wanted me to be at - no question about it. It was an amazing church, and I was able to commit to it 100%. I was never out looking for a better deal. When I moved to where I am now, I found the church that God called me to be a member of.

You also said, "And if I wanted to devote my entire life 100% to the ministry why would I do it in a singles group in lieu of the atmosphere that exists in a large number of them?" Perhaps one of the reasons that singles groups seem the way they do is because you're not investing 100% of your life to the church's ministry. I hate to seem harsh, but it just seems that you are relying upon your own understanding.

And be careful about the huge age gap between you and the person you are looking for. There is a whole lot of difference between a man in his 30's and girls in the 18-25 range. Those who are willing to commit to marriage will almost always opt for people their own age. I've honestly never known a person younger than 25 who has married a man over 30, and I've worked with the 18-24 age group since 1996.

13. Xingyi Warrior

In Church? Well where else should I look?

I'm not going to argue with you her as you are probably right. I just haven't found a church where I felt that this was the case.

Again you're probably right. It's just that when I get in the atmosphere of these groups that it seems that nothing good comes out of it. Either I get involved and begin to get dragged down by the depressive atmosphere that exists in a large % of the groups, or many females see me and want possibilities that I am not willing to give them. Then they get mad and begin to sow dissention and trouble ensues. I would be happy to be the catalyst of change in such a situation but the sexual politics that are a part of any group of single males/females is always chief problem for me. Honestly Scott I am an attractive, in shape man, but I seem to have an uncanny draw to the opposite sex. I don't know wether its that I'm producing a huge load of pheromones or what but it just happens. Some I'm interested in - most I'm not, but I do have my choice and no one likes to be let down. Aslo, I get a load of jealously from the single males who don't get the responses I do from women.

The age gap for me isn't a problem. When I date someone my own age (which is rarely) you're talking about a pretty dry date. I tend to refer to the ladies of my temporal genre as the "bi*#$ and proud of it" generation. They may be saved but they still have that cocky attitude thats all me me me me me I'm so cool cause femenism told me so thing. I don't get that with younger ladies and honestly we have a great time when we go out. Secondly, I don't know wether it's genetic or what but the 30+ female crowd in my region look pretty run down. Physical attraction is not something that grows on me it's either there or it's not. And there are very few ladies in their 30's where I'm at that I'm even remotely attracted to. The ones that are attractive are usually married (hmm, coincidence?)I couldn't imagine entertaining the possibility of marrying someone like that(30's/not attractive) because in lieu of the situation that I've previously described I can always get better and if there is to be intimacy between me and that person then certain things must happen and I can tell you from experience that its not going to, it never will.

I'm dating a woman right now who is 21 and she's just giddy about me. Listen, she's happy and although I was driving my first car when she was still in daipers it's not an issue with us as it hasn't been with any of the other younger females I've dated lately. I think there's possibly some concern with her family but she's an adult and can make her own decisions. I get along with them and they think I'm a cool person and all but I do sense some things. I don't think that they're insurmountable obstacles but we are still in the dating phase. I don't see a lot of opposition or second thoughts from her should I choose to pursue it further. And if so there are about half a dozen others in her age group that I would be willing to date that would go out with me in a heartbeat. The only downside to this I see is the animosity that some of the single/30's - 40's males have toward me due to my success in this area. They would really like to be me, and the 30's - 40's females hate me because I'm not even remotely interested (intimately) in them and quite honestly neither are a lot of the males my age because as I've said previously - they're not what they used to be if they ever were to begin with. Regardless of our religious orientations, we are still fundamentally male and female and governed to some degree by our inherent sexualities. I know that this sounds callous but as I have said, I have the right to these views and preferences because in the end after all is said and done, after we're married its ME thats going to be sleeping with them. Some women I'm attracted to and some I'm not for reasons that I've already discussed. I have had many female friends that I got along with and even enjoyed their company. But I don't want to go to bed with them and I never will. The problem is that some of them have those designs on me and ...well it takes two to tango. I'll stick with the age group that I have the most enjoyable/satisfying experiences with even if it might not be politically correct. It's my life.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are huge differences between generations in the things they value and the way they communicate.

If people will spend their time discipling people of the same sex they will find there is plenty to do. They will also see those who are doing the same thing. They will see those who are involved in ministry and not just sitting on the sidelines waiting.

15. Xingyi Warrior

Yes, and there are equally HUGE differences between myself and my OWN generation in the way that we see things and communicate. I guess I'm just a black sheep.

I've done this probably as much or possibly even more than you have. And yes what you say is true. I meet all kinds of people involved in the ministry my own age and being the person I am many females do get paretial to me. But thats as far as it goes cause as I said they really just don't do it for me. I hate to sound mean but I think that it would be a whole lot meaner if I led someone on and gave them false aspirations and hope of something that I would never be able to provide them with. The letdown would be much greater. Then when I turn them down and start dating someone younger and prettier it really makes them bitter. I know that lots of males "feel my pain" (not really) but I am in kind of a tough situation because everywhere I go and whatever I do I get major hitting feedback from the ladies from whatever group I'm in. If it's college and career then I've got ladies in their early 20's shucking their peers for me and if its a singles group I've got 30- 50 year olds going after me. I just feel more comfortable with younger women because they tend to lack the baggage (emotional) that the more mature women do and I know it sounds harsh but - they look more appealing as well.

16. ScottEmerson

Got any coffeehouses in your area? Many areas have Christian hang-out places such as that. You can find someone, and it doesn't have to be in church.

Perhaps because you're looking at churches with the wrong priorities?

Even more of a reason to not church hop. How many singles groups are you bringing contention to one way or another. It doesn't matter whose fault it is - we are instructed not to be stumbling blocks, and these women, whether you like it or not, are your brothers and sisters.

Where in the world do you live? From what I've seen in Florida and in Birmingham, it is the girls between 18-25 who end up more egocentric than those women who are older.

So now we get to the meat of the matter. Attraction comes from spending time with a person - that is the kind of attraction that lasts a lifetime. I fear that due to what you are looking for in a woman that you will get tired or bored or disillusioned with the 20-year old becomes 35 or 40.

As a minister to college students, I would offer strong caution to girls who would date someone your age. I just would. In fact, I did a couple of months ago, she didn't listen, and got burned a few weeks later. I would be very wary of a 35 year old man who was hanging around a bunch of 21-year-olds.

You say that a lot. It's not about spending the rest of your life with the person. It's not about investing your life or beginning a family. More than once, you've drawn attention to the fact that you are looking for someone that you can sleep with. Even in the context of "after marriage," that still shows something that I think is unhealthy.

And there you go again.

It's more than just your life. There are other people who can be hurt through this. Relationships that don't work leave 21-year-old girls in a lot of pain. The girl you are dating is STILL required to honor her parents, and if they object to the relationship, she is going to have to choose between honoring them or dating you. Church groups can really be divided over experiences like this. You are part of the body of Christ, and there are many, many more parts than just yourself.

And you've nailed the #1 problem with single's groups. Egocentrism.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know of a church that ceased to have older singles groups. What they did was to mix singles and healthy maried couples together in Bible studies. They had one couple for each older single. It proved to be quite healthy and healing for many of those older singles who had been divorced.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Xingyi Warrior;

Take a look at how many times in your postings you mentioned "I" or Me".

You mentioned, "I've done this probably as much or possibly even more than you have."

Your statement is a clear indication of who your God is.

19. Xingyi Warrior

Let me ask you this Scott - Can a marriage survive (healthy) without sex? In my opinion physical attraction is the primary catalyst by which all male/female relationships culminating in marriage begin. Yes I am looking for someone that I can sleep with - most people who marry are. I can get all the companionship in any other area from any of my male friends. What I can't get is a lover. What I'm alluding to is the fact that most women of my age group I am not attracted to in a sexual manner. I'm not going to go over the reasons why as I've already covered them. Regardless of what is often preached in some churches sex is a need. No we will not die without it, but in comparison give me the keys to your car for a week and I'll drive it and you will have to make do without it. Will you die in that amount of time? No, but don't be surprised if you lose your job and/or your sanity from the cumbersome situation that ensues. Studies have also shown that people who have normal, healthy sexual relationships are more physically and emotionally healthier than people who don't. Sex is of paramount importance in a marriage (I know I've been there) and those who disagree do so and purport this falsehood at their own peril and if you are a pastor - at the peril of those who look to you for guidance. I tend to be rather frank when discussing any topic and I know that it can often be interpreted the wrong way. To narrow it down ito simpler, more palpatable terms - with many women in my own age group the propensity for intimacy is not there and without that intimacy there is no chance for any successful attempts at anything further.

As would I. But I assure you that my intentions are not base. I am not trying to keep a score card or "notch my belt" if you know what I mean. I simply like being in the presence of a female that enjoys my company and that I can have fun with. And I don't exactly look my age. I am 34 but most people guess me at around 28. Yes there are areas where I and my dates are on a different page. But not nearly as much as when I date someone my own age. The times that I have dated someone my own age or older, I get the feeling that people are looking at us and assuming that I'm going out to eat with my mother. As I said before I look much younger than I actually am and most of the women my age look way older than they are (hard lives, improper application of cosmetic products). There was one exception and that was an Asian lady that I went out with a couple of times. She was 38 but then again Asian ladies tend to age better than their Western counterparts.

The real crux of the matter is that due to my attributes and unique situation I am the exception and not the rule. And yes church groups will be divided over experiences like this but would be more divided in my opinion if I were to lead certain females on knowing full well that the relationship isn't going to culminate in anything. The 21 year old that I am attracted to I, should the relationship progress, I will not love her and leave her. That would happen to some extent with any of the women at church who are in my own age bracket but the difference is that from my end love wouldn't be present.

I really can't relate to you on this one. If you are not physically attractive when I first meet you you will not be in a day, week, month, year or 10 years for that matter. It may not be that way with other people but I cant relate to that. And as for becoming dissolusioned with a woman as she ages - nope. Because once I'm past the physical atraction I can become emotionally atttatched to them. But I, like most others concerning sexuality and relationships must breach the physical barriars first.

I live in Springfield, Missouri. And trust me the 30-40's ladies in this area are baggage laden and worn down, past warranty. I've been to other parts of the country where this is not the case but unfortunately it is here.

Very true.

20. Xingyi Warrior

And why should that bother you?