1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My Screen Has Developed A Mind Of Its Own

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by following-Him, Nov 18, 2003.

1. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Is there anyone who could please tell me why my computer screen suddenly takes it upon itself to go haywire, moving up and down at will. Sometimes it sorts itself if I restart the computer and sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you and Blessings

Sheila

2. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Maybe its like an old tv, its really just a bad moniter?

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, it sounds to me like the monitor's vertical is going. It *may* just be that your monitor cable is not fully connected to the computer (make sure it's on securely). If it's the vertical control, it may also be resolved by tweaking the vertical pot inside the monitor (do NOT attempt to open/adjust your monitor unless you know what you're doing - monitors can have very dangerous electrical charges stored in them, even when unplugged). A technician could check this for you - but they may end up charging you almost as much as it would cost to get a nice new monitor anyway.

4. SpiritualMadMan

SpiritualMadMan New Member

'moving up and down at will'?

Could use some additional descriptive information.

Is the *entire* image intact when it moves?

Or, is it in pieces? Large, say an inch or bigger or small say half inch or smaller in height?

Possible items to check...

How old is the monitor?

What resolution are you running? 640x480? 800x600? 1024x768?

What refresh rate? 60Hz, 70Hz, 72Hz, 75Hz?

Are there any outside controls called 'Stability' or 'Stat'?

Is there a Vertical or Horizontal Sync adjustment available to you?

What I am suspecting is that either you have recently had your screen resolution increased and your monitor is borderline with handling it...

Or, some aging has occurred and the Horizontal or Vertical sync is borderline...

I know this isn't much help if you are not 'techie'...

But, let's see what we can do as a Baptist Board Team?

Always remember to take notes and keep track of what you've tried so you can reverse what you've done and get back to your starting point.

And, one last thing...

Check the connectors at both the Monitor and Computer System Unit. Make sure they are securely tightened.

Don't laugh!

I was having intermittent problem with reboots on my system and it was driving me crazy...

Until I just happened to note it happened when my cat ran behind my desk and nudged the **LOOSE** power cord! Duh! Did I feel dumb!

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Thank you. :D

There is no way I am a techie [​IMG]
    The screen literally moves up and down at will, quite fast, so that I can't click on anything. It was mis-behaving just know, so I thought I would shut it down, but...I clicked on shutdown, and the box came up with the shut down, restart and standby options and what ever I clicked on it changed. :rolleyes:
    The computer will be 3 years old next january. I am using Windows ME. I can't remember all the other things you asked me but I will show your post to Rob when he gets home and see if he knows some of the other answers. Thank you so much for your time,

Blessings

Sheila

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sheila, have you rearranged anything and put speakers next to your monitor or anything else with a magnetic field next to it or on top of it? That would cause the problem. (Did you know you can RUIN a VHS tape by putting it on top of a speaker?)

Sounds like either your monitor is dying or a bad video card.

You can go here and these guys will want to know some details but can always seem 'fix' what ails my computers!

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/index.php?s=b6dd97c931e674bbd5545ca7f9328ccd

Diane