1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

My thoughts on salvation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mets65, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

It is NO Calvinist's position that men do not have choices. This is a very common and unfortunate misunderstanding of reformed theology.

Men choose Christ and choose to reject Christ and are held accountable for their choices. All reformed people believe this.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here Im going to defer to what The Archangel indicated in a post earlier. you can ask him about it if you wish or pull it up. In short he blames folks being indoctrinated vs educated into the church. Mets, Ive stated this before & will state it again.....if you want to understand Reformed theology you must be educated in it. that requires you to both read quality books on it & to speak to people trained in it. you will not really learn it this way. you will get opinions after opinions after opinions. If your interested, you need to focus on it & study it properly.....no other way around it if you want to do justice to it.

3. mets65

mets65 New Member

I would agree with that.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See, now your getting everyones opinions again. with all do respect, how do you know that one guy that just gave his opinion truly understands the Doctrines that Calvinists live by, or that the next guy is or isnt a Hyper Calvinist, or still another guy doesnt have an ax to grind, or that another isnt spot on & straight away. You dont.

Its been my experience that Reformed Thinking takes a lifetime commitment & Ive been doing it for 25 years & still have questions. And like anything, you practice thru your Christian lifestyle & how you go out to people. You enter into something that you mustn't take casually.

5. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

But "bumper sticker" theology is a lot more fun... :tonofbricks:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you see that that's the position of the Hyper-Calvinist, which is still another group to understand & have discourse with. But I will agree with you Luke dear brother that there are too many misconceptions & without education that explains it then you can very well disregard Reformed theology as being Biblical. Lastly, there are areas of it that cant explain the mysteries of the Master....simply because HE chooses not to reveal them. Kids dying in infancy is one example. And why He chooses some & not all for salvation is another example.

#86 Earth Wind and Fire, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello Earth, Wind & Fire Earth

You said.......
    I have a novel idea; How about letting the Holy Spirit, teach us what is true.
    “yea, let God be true, but every man a liar;”

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

If the Doctrines of Grace are plainly and succinctly taught in the Bible then it should be quite obvious. One shouldn't have to spend hours and hours reading books by so called experts in order to understand. It sounds to me Earth Wind and Fire that you are sending mets on quest in indoctrination.

Funny, many times it's their argument that the reason you don't accept the five points is that you do not understand. There's always an inference of ignorance directed toward those who point out legitimate arguments concerning the Doctrines of Grace. I've been told many times that I simply "don't get it", "I'm the dreaded "A" word", "I'm a 'self-salvationist'", "You're a universalist," etc. To which I could respond but don't, "You don't understand me", "Logically you are a hyper-Calvinist," "You don't spread the gospel out of love but from the desire to follow a legalistic command."

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, glad to see you back Brother Luke. I think I'm going to refer to you from here on end as the "Dude" LOL

10. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ahhh. Calvin said in his Institutio
    to further my point Calvin also said with regard to adam
    and continues to state
    concluding that

#90 Thinkingstuff, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  11. mets65

mets65 New Member

...and the spirit has guided me in a direction not in accordance with Calvinism.

12. stilllearning

Praise the Lord. The same thing happened to me!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is that now Brother.... "For by one Spirit are we all baptised" 1 Cor. 12:13

14. mets65

mets65 New Member

Calvinism is but a doctrine. We are still believers united by Christ.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, so how do you know it's the Holy Spirit Guiding you?

Would Spurgeon, BB Warfield, Edwards, Bunyan, Whitfield have said that? I think not.

Mets, you simply dont know enough.

16. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes it is who's founder said in his book the Institutes

17. stilllearning

I don’t worry about what Spurgeon, BB Warfield, Edwards, Bunyan, Whitfield have said or think(or what some of you say they thought).

Could it be that Spurgeon(for example), was pressed in the same way we are here, to choose a side.
    I know that if I allowed myself to be pressured into choosing sides( C or A), I would have to say I am a Calvinist.

For all we know, this is what Spurgeon did.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, the church is the property of God and we stand on God's Word. Thus we teach God's Word. If someone disagrees with that, they are free to leave.

19. mets65

mets65 New Member

Because I just know. I know plenty. I think maybe you are extremely educated on reformed theology and that's given you a sense of pride in your life.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, you are making very blanket & (naive) statements.....Examine the scriptures....try this as an exercise, Ephesians 2, read the whole thing & then ask yourself if you could see Doctrine there. Thats just one & I'm sure that I could give Scripture all day long to support or refute. But do that, clear your mind & read....but before you do, pray to the Holy Spirit for his guidance. Thats how I study all Scripture....I 1st pray to the HS for illumination & guidance to help me to understand ....then I read the passage.