1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MY.....

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by wpe3bql, Jun 13, 2015.

1. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

...... Church .....

Often times I've heard/seen people (not necessarily just pastors/elders, etc.) say/post something that includes the expression "MY church ...."

We all know what they mean, and I'm sure it's just a matter of semantics, but is it really Scripturally correct to make such statements as these?

Does such a practice "fly in Jesus's Face"?

After all, He didn't say, "YOUR church" in Matthew 16:18 did He?

A corollary to this is the expression, "MY church doesn't believe in .....!!"

Is a person to conclude that absolutely every member believes/practices X?

Why, or why not?

Appropriate Scriptures that support your position(s) on this OP would certainly be appreciated.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. But we all understand that in our culture "my church" is a shorthand way of saying "the church where I attend".

I can't find a scripture to support that though.

HankD

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Basically, they mean the "church/club" that they are active at.

4. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

In the military, I would verbally discipline soldiers a lot. And often I started with, "In my Army...". I don't think anyone was confused, thinking that I actually owned the Army.

Same principle.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, as other imply here, think this is basically a question of semantics. But I remember a sermon I evaluated as excellent that makes a point of this. It was an expository about Ananias and Sapphira, the couple that sold their possessions and gave the money to the blossoming early church, as others were doing, but they kept part of the proceeds and lied that they gave it all.

One of the first points brought out-- only indirectly related to that story-- was how we say "MY church" in regard to what we do, or what regard we think we should hold there. And then there was a little illustration about the parents of 2-year-old who invited another couples' 2-year-old to come play with theirs And they go to the kid's room and the 'guest' picks up one of his toys, and the 'host' grabs it and says, "Mine!" "Me," "my," and "mine" are certainly among the first words kids learn and are used to mean what *I* own, or control, and anyone's else's use thereof is subject to my approval. So, carrying that proprietary attitude we learn into our adult lives, we imply authority with our terms, "my doctor" (whom I could "fire" if wanted to), "my neighborhood" (which I could leave if I wanted to), "my theory of ...." (and it's unlikely *I* personally thought it up). So we do use "my" and "mine" to insinuate propriety.

On other hand, "my family," "my school," or "my favorite dish" are not taken in the sense of owning them, but simply as connections.

What a person means by "my church" can be either case. In 1994, when the Bible class (also a 'department') we were in was eliminated by the Nominating Committee, the director of that class left the church and was very upset that they would end her department. She called me several times about the issue, talking about how she didn't want to leave the church but thought she "had to," whining, "It's been my church for ... years." I doubt if connection was the only thing on her mind.

#5 Alcott, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015