1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Myths and falsehoods surrounding the Sotomayor nomination

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, May 30, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh: Posts like this are their own rebuttal:thumbs:

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it amazing that some Christian conservatives decry certain actions by others and then use those same actions by others that they decry to justify performing the same actions.

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't necssarily disagree with you however when Republicans wish to nominate Conservative(strict constuctionists) to the court, they are automatically disqualified by most on the left simply for political/ideology reasons. Certain members of the Democratic Party will automatically vote No (see Ted Kennedy for one example).

Now when a Democrat nominates someone for the Court, are Republicans not suppose to use the same tactic? Should Conservatives just lay down and say "we wish to be good Christians so just walk all over us and nominate a liberal activist and we will say nothing"?

I'm not sure what you wish us to do? Is your point hypocrisy? If so, then yes everyone is guilty. We all support those who agree with us and oppose those who don't.

The Supreme Court should not allow any sort of activism whether the Liberal Activism or Conservative activism. Eventually either will lead to the final downfall of this great country as we know it. But I must say trying to be as fairminded as possible, over the last 25 years it has been the Democrats that have played politics with the Court and its nominees (Robert Bork) not the Conservatives. Yet when finally the Conservatives start using the same tactics that have been used by the Liberals for 25 years its become unChristian and deplorable. Again, what are Conservatives to do?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like it when either side does it. I am admittedly old school and think that a president should get his nominees unless there is an ethical problem. I supported the confirmation of both Roberts and Alito, even when liberals were slamming them.

But I guess it is easier for the country to down the political toilet if both sides use the same tactics.

5. targus

targus New Member

But where were you politically at that time?

Had you already made the big jump to the left?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was a libertarian, not exactly a Moral Majority member-type.

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree, elections matter and the President should get whom he desires within reason. Then perhaps we all will pay more attention to what kind of Judges one will nominate.

The country will go down the toilet if both sides use the same tactics or if one side uses the tactics and the other does not. Only when both stop the insanity will it change.