1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

N.C. church removes members for political views

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by gb93433, May 6, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hmm - our Republican President and Congress have done nothing to stem the tide of "sodomite" appointments to government positions. President Bush supports "sodomite" civil unions. Why are they any worse then the Democrats?

But, we stray from the topic at hand.

This church had every "right" to dismiss these members - it is a local church. They would not have needed to dismiss me if the pastor had told me how I had to vote.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    LINK ON THIS PAGE

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Why, Aaron: thank you for interjecting the subject of sodomy into this discussion.

Regards,

BiR

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The NY times said the pastor announced his resignation on Tuesday.

5. Window Wax

Window Wax New Member

http://www.thecarolinachannel.com/news/4474761/detail.html
    WAYNESVILLE, N.C. -- Pastor Chan Chandler, accused of asking Democrats to repent or leave his church, has called it quits.

Chandler made the announcement Tuesday in a closed door meeting with his congregation.

Nine members at East Waynesville Baptist Church claim Chandler allegedly asked them to repent for voting for Kerry or leave the church.

"I don't believe this is a country that should set a standard of accountability based on the way someone votes," said David Wijerwickrama, the ousted members' attorney. "I believe that whenever you try and wed religion and politics, it's a dangerous marriage and it's one that has proven to be a failure."

"He just feels like God just gave him this tremendous peace," said Chandler's attorney, Jay Pavey. "This is what he needed to do, and he's absolutely at peace about it."

Supporters said the move to vote out the nine members was never political. They said the nine were acting up.

"They are so lost," said Chandler supporter Misty Turner. "They've been cussing at Chan, they've done all kinds of terrible things to Chan."

But Chandler doesn't deny his political position, nor is he sorry for preaching about it.

"He did not apologize. I think there was no reason for him to apologize," said Pavey.

Chandler's resignation is effective immediately.

The church will now go to Haywood Baptist Association to get a temporary pastor until they find a permanent replacement.

Note that he said those members were "acting up." Also, I am just curious about one thing... He made those comments about Kerry during a sermon in October of last year. By my calculations, that was SEVEN months ago... Why are they just now raising such a ruckus about it? Why didn't they leave then? I'm really starting to believe their is a lot more to this story than what the liberal media (and those former church members) want us to know...

window_wax

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A person I know who lives not far from there told me that it is a part of the country where it is a hotbed of KKK activity still today. Very few black people live there because it's too dangerous for them. It is the same region that hid out Erick Rudoff for several years before the FBI finally caught him. In Asheville its culture is much like San Francisco. A Wyka witch was the town mayor a few years ago. So that kind of extremism is not unusual for that area.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

'"He just feels like God just gave him this tremendous peace,"' said Chandler's attorney, Jay Pavey.'

Why does the pastor have an attorney?

8. Window Wax

Window Wax New Member

""
    "I don't believe this is a country that should set a standard of accountability based on the way someone votes," said David Wijerwickrama, the ousted members' attorney.
    ""

Probably because the former members have one... I wonder what their intentions were / are?

window_wax