1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name calling and sarcasm-- alrighty with God?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alcott, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think of name calling and sarcasm? Is it ever 'Christian?'

Keep in mind that Jesus did both these things. He called people brood of vipers, he called Herod a fox (Luke 13:32), and even though he said addressing someone as a fool puts you in danger of hell fire, he himself did that (Matthew 23:17). Paul did also (I Corinthians 15:36).

As for sarcasm, in the best example not all translations read it just that way, but the KJV reads Matthew 26:45, as He returns for the third time to the 3 disciples in the garden to find them sleeping, he says, "Sleep on now-- take your rest!" Did He really want them to do that? or was it like 2 friends who disagree on a building project and one finally says, "Oh do it your own stupid way!"

Does the fact that Jesus, and Paul, addressed people as fools show that that is not really a damnable sin? Or is it not so only for 'inspired' speakers or writers (and who makes the determination?). Or is Paul, at least of the 2, indeed damned? While I don't think so, of course, is it then a mistake to understand scripture as a "literalist?"

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With 73 views and no responses, I just want to ask....
    Is this a hard subject to deal with or an irrelevant one?
    And for the record, that "y" at the end of alright in the title was not meant to be there, but we can't edit titles.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Alcott ,

You knuckle head. I'm getting tired of all of these posts talking about stuff on this board. What kind of thread is this anyway????

:Biggrin

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that there is a line. We are not to insult people. We are not to act in hatred towards other people. I do not thing that that was Christ's intent when he called the Pharisees a "brood of vipers".

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, Jesus can do what He wants because He is God. He rightly judges the motives of men’s hearts and condemns them as a brood of vipers and does so without sin. And yes, He meant it to be insulting.

There are many warnings in scripture about being careful with what we say. We often condemn ourselves when we criticize others.

As far as the “literal” interpretations” you just have to look at the context.

peace to you

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then what about Paul saying "You fool!", as Jesus said anyone saying that "shall be in danger of hell fire (or fire of Gehenna).

7. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is sin

Let no unwholesome word ....

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 1 Cor. 15, Paul isn’t calling any specific person a “fool”, he is using a rhetorical device where an interlocutor asked a question and then he answered it.

peace to you

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t believe Jesus intended for the word “fool” to be a magic word of self-damnation when He gave that admonition in Matthew 5:22.

He had said in v. 20 that their righteousness must surpass that of the Pharisees.

Given the common comparison between a fool and a wise man found in the proverbs, I suspect the word “fool” was used by the self righteous Pharisees to berate others.

Thus, Jesus says their righteousness must surpass that of the Pharisees and then gives examples of their behavior (anger, name calling “good-for-nothing and “fool”) as behavior to be avoided. He even warns that such behavior puts a person in danger of hell fire because it reveals inner motivations related to anger and pride.

peace to you

10. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a proper use of Fool. It is proper to call an Athiest a fool.

11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe scripture says that; a fool says in his heart there is no God. I suppose that applies to atheists.

peace to you

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The use of Psalms 14:1 or Psalms 53:1 without understanding the real reasons why so merely amouts to just using an ad hominem.
    To say there is no God is to deny God is God. That is not knowing Who and "what" God Is. He is the uncaused Reality in which the whole creation exists in. In the words of the Apostle Paul, "In Him we live and move and have our being, . . ." Acts of the Aposlles 17:28. God is omnipresent, and cannot not be.

13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will add that if you call an atheist a “fool” be careful to judge your motives. If you are arrogant, proud, angry in your motivation you could stand condemned.

If you are sorrowful, lamenting they have been deceived or deceived themselves, then perhaps your motives are closer to what God expects.

peace to you