1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Name One POTUS that Hasn't Flip-Flopped...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, Oct 15, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :type:...and be sure to provide supporting information/documents. :type:

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Bout the only one I can think of is George Washington. That's not to say he wouldn't if he had to. Old GW was a pragmatist of the highest order. But, he was making stuff up as he went along. So, he didn't have much to contradict during his administrations.

The only other one I can think of is William Henry Harrison. He only served March 4 – April 4, 1841, 30 days, 12 hours, and 30 minutes.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I've never understood why folks are surprised about the flip flops. Both sides do it, and then the folks on both sides look at the other side with incredulity as though their guy would never do it or hasn't already done it.:laugh:

Obama flip flops.
    Romney flip flops.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

I have never understood why people care about political platforms. They are as honest as used car ads.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real question is "Why did he flip-flop"

If he did it to get more votes - that is one thing
    If he changed platfomrs due to a actualy change of thinking - that is an acceptable reason

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The use of the term "flip-flop" gets abused. Often is is assigned to people who have ever changed their position. This is wrong. For instance Romney once held a looser position on abortion. But now he holds to a more conservative view. But in order to criticize him he is being painted as one who changes his mind for political convenience. There is no evidence of this and making a change in ones views on moral and political issues is not an example of this.

In order for the term "flip-flop' to fit correctly there first has to be a "flip" or a change say from supporting abortion to being against it and the there must also be a "flop" going back to supporting abortion. And this must be seen in light of political changes.

But Romney has not made a flip-flop he simply has made a solid change. We cannot reasonably fault him for doing that.

It is clear the term flip-flop does not often fit when it is used. Currently the far left extreme (some on this board) are trying to paint any and all conservatives in this light. But it lack any sense of honesty.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

William Henry Harrison is my best guess...maybe James A Garfield too.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Proof is in the Pudding/cooking!

Your guess needs proof, which I requested in the OP.

9. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Wiki's article on William Henry Harrison:
    And I'd hardly call this a flip-flop.

And as I wrote George Washington. This because he was unopposed in both of his elections. So, he never had to make campaign promises he didn't\couldn't keep.

#9 Squire Robertsson, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012