1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Names In Scripture & Rev 7, the 12 Named Characters, Everlasting Gospel of Salvation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by One Baptism, Apr 27, 2015.

1. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

Names In Scripture

& Revelation 7, names order and meanings, and other places:

Names in scripture, represent Character, who the Person actually is, and are purposeful in revealing more about whom is loved and served by the one bearing the name [Exodus 34:5-8; Psalms 46:7,11; Isaiah 7:14, 8:8; Matthew 1:23; Revelation 3:12; etc].

Let not my lord, I pray thee, regard this man of Belial, even Nabal: for as his name is, so is he; Nabal is his name, and folly is with him: but I thine handmaid saw not the young men of my lord, whom thou didst send. 1 Samuel 25:25

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. Proverbs 22:1

A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth. Ecclesiastes 7:1

There are only two ways in which our names may be seen,

[1] In glorification of God, or,
    [2] in glorification of self and thus satan.​

Thus, do we make our name great, or will God make our name great unto His glory?

[1] God: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: Genesis 12:2

[2] self and thus satan: And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. Genesis 11:4

Names throughout the Scripture have specific meaning, dealing with the Character of the one which it is given to, and speak of the essence of the person, being or place or thing, several examples include:

And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. Genesis 3:20

Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. Genesis 5:2

And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. Genesis 5:29

And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan. Genesis 10:25

Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth. Genesis 11:9

And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. Genesis 16:11

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. Genesis 17:5

Thou art the LORD the God, who didst choose Abram, and broughtest him forth out of Ur of the Chaldees, and gavest him the name of Abraham; Nehemiah 9:7

And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. Genesis 17:15

Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear? Genesis 17:17

And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him. Genesis 17:19

And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? Genesis 18:13

Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh. Genesis 18:15

And Sarah said, God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me. Genesis 21:6

And he said, Is not he rightly named Jacob? for he hath supplanted me these two times: he took away my birthright; and, behold, now he hath taken away my blessing. And he said, Hast thou not reserved a blessing for me? Genesis 27:36

And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel. Genesis 35:10

Israel – God prevails or Prevails with God:

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. Genesis 32:28

#1 One Baptism, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  2. One Baptism

God's very name reveals His character and glory, which is why it is important for no one to take His name in vain, neither to speak against or act/behave contrary to it [“Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.Exodus 20:7; “Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.” Isaiah 43:7; “For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another.” Isaiah 48:11]:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them. Exodus 6:3

And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. Exodus 33:17

And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. Exodus 33:18

And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. Exodus 33:19

And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by: Exodus 33:22

Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. Psalms 29:2

And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD. Exodus 34:5

And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth, Exodus 34:6

Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation. Exodus 34:7

For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: Exodus 34:14

I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

Jesus Himself, came to make known and to declare the name/character of the Father:

I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. John 17:6

And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them. John 17:26

Names help us to identify who/what a thing/Person actually is:

Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. Psalms 68:4

The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name. Exodus 15:3

As for our redeemer, the LORD of hosts is his name, the Holy One of Israel. Isaiah 47:4

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

Now therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, saith the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed. Isaiah 52:5

And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name. Isaiah 62:2

Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O LORD, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting. Isaiah 63:16

In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. Jeremiah 23:6

Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee. Song of Songs [Solomon] 1:3

His remembrance shall perish from the earth, and he shall have no name in the street. Job 18:17

The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. Psalms 46:7

The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah. Psalms 46:11

Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14

And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel. Isaiah 8:8

Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us. Isaiah 8:10

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. Matthew 1:23

And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. Matthew 1:25

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. Revelation 3:12

Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 2 Timothy 2:19

Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: Ephesians 1:21

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: Philippians 2:9

I will declare thy name unto my brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee. Psalms 22:22

Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. Hebrews 2:12

I will make thy name to be remembered in all generations: therefore shall the people praise thee for ever and ever. Psalms 45:17

His name shall endure for ever: his name shall be continued as long as the sun: and men shall be blessed in him: all nations shall call him blessed. Psalms 72:17

We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners: the LORD fulfil all thy petitions. Psalms 20:5

He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love. Song of Songs [Solomon] 2:4

He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love. 1 John 4:8

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. 1 John 4:16

Thou art beautiful, O my love, as Tirzah, comely as Jerusalem, terrible as an army with banners. Song of Songs [Solomon] 6:4

Who is she that looketh forth as the morning, fair as the moon, clear as the sun, and terrible as an army with banners? Song of Songs [Solomon] 6:10

Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah. Psalms 60:4

And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads. Revelation 14:1

And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. Revelation 22:4

And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. Revelation 17:5

His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. Revelation 19:12

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12​

3. One Baptism

A specific example of this may be seen from the Beginning and might go something like this [though there may be several variations on it]:

Adam – Red, The Living Soul [through Blood], A Unique Son of God

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Genesis 2:7

Eve – The Mother of all Living [Life-Giver]

And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living. Genesis 3:20

Abel – Breath, Briefly, a Keeper of the Sheep [Mourning, Lamenting]

And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. Genesis 4:2

Cain – Possession, a Tiller of the Ground [Lance, Spear]

And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD. Genesis 4:1

Seth – Compensation [setting, in the place of [Abel], appointed]

And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. Genesis 4:25

Enos – Man [mortal man]

And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD. Genesis 4:26

Cainan - Possession

And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: Genesis 5:9

Mahalaleel – Praise of God

And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: Genesis 5:12

Jared – Descent [coming down]

And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: Genesis 5:15

Enoch – Dedicated [Who walked with God, and was not, for God took Him]

And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: Genesis 5:18

Methuselah – Man of the Dart [His Death Shall bring]

And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: Genesis 5:21

Lamech – Powerful [Strength]

And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: Genesis 5:25

Noah – Rest [Comfort]

And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed. Genesis 5:29

Thus:

God, through His Unique Son [Adam, Red/blood], Gives Life [Eve], being pierced [Cain], and in the place of [Seth] mourning/sorrow [Abel], for Mortal Man [Enos], Obtained [Cainan], the Praise of God [Mahalaleel], for He Descended/Came Down [Jared], Dedicated/Walked With God and was not found, for God took Him [Enoch], and Whose Death Would Bring [Methuselah], Strength/Vital Force [Lamech], and Rest/Comfort [Noah], so declaring His Good Name [Shem].

4. One Baptism

We also see this at the Ending of Scripture in Revelation 7 in the names given there, given in the names of the Sons of Israel [Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:13-15] in the special ordering, and might go something like this:

Of the tribe of Juda [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad [were] sealed twelve thousand. Revelation 7:5

Of the tribe of Aser [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses [were] sealed twelve thousand. Revelation 7:6

Of the tribe of Simeon [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar [were] sealed twelve thousand. Revelation 7:7

Of the tribe of Zabulon [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph [were] sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin [were] sealed twelve thousand. Revelation 7:8

13 Tribes; 1 with no inheritance, 1 with double inheritance.

Revelation 7 Names in Specifically Given Order:

Judah = "Jew" = "I Will Praise The Lord" [Genesis 29:35]

And she conceived again, and bare a son: and she said, Now will I praise the LORD: therefore she called his name Judah; and left bearing.​

Reuben = "Behold A Son" = "He Has Looked On Me" [Genesis 29:32]

And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.​

Gad = "Troop" = "Given Good Fortune" [Genesis 30:11]

And Leah said, A troop cometh: and she called his name Gad. ​

Asher = "Happy" = "Happy Am I" [Genesis 30:13]

And Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me blessed: and she called his name Asher. ​

Naphtali = "Wrestling" = "My Wrestling" [Genesis 30:8]

And Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali. ​

Manasseh = "Causing To Forget" = "Is Making Me To Forget" [Genesis 41:51]

And Joseph called the name of the firstborn Manasseh: For God, [said he], hath made me forget all my toil, and all my father's house. ​

Simeon = "Heard" = "God Hears Me" [Genesis 29:33]

And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Because the LORD hath heard that I [was] hated, he hath therefore given me this [son] also: and she called his name Simeon. ​

Levi ** = "Joined To" = "Is Attached To Me" [Genesis 29:34]

And she conceived again, and bare a son; and said, Now this time will my husband be joined unto me, because I have born him three sons: therefore was his name called Levi.​

Issachar = "There Is Recompense" = "He Has Purchased Me" [Genesis 30:18]

And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar. ​

Zebulun = "Exalted" = "A Dwelling" [Genesis 30:20]

And Leah said, God hath endued me [with] a good dowry; now will my husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she called his name Zebulun.​

Ephraim * = "Double Ash Heap" = "I Shall Be Doubly Fruitful" [Genesis 41:52]

And the name of the second called he Ephraim: For God hath caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction. ​

Joseph = "Jehovah Was Added" = "God Will Add To Me" [Genesis 30:24]

And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD shall add to me another son ​

Benjamin = "Son Of The Right Hand" = "Son Of His Right Hand" [Genesis 35:17,18]

And it came to pass, when she was in hard labour, that the midwife said unto her, Fear not; thou shalt have this son also. And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. ​

Dan * = "A Judge" [Genesis 30:6]

And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and hath also heard my voice, and hath given me a son: therefore called she his name Dan.​

And therefore, by the special list given in Revelation 7, we see the meaning:

I Will Praise The LORD [for] He Has Looked On Me [and] Granted Good Fortune. Happy Am I [because] My Wrestling, God Is Making Me To Forget. God Hears Me [and] Is Attached To Me. He has Purchased Me A Dwelling [and] Will Add To Me The Son Of His Right Hand.

Or

Now I Will Praise The LORD [for] Surely The LORD Hath Looked Upon My Affliction [and] Granted Good Fortune [therefore] Happy Am I [even though] With Great Wrestlings Have I Wrestled [but] God Is Making Me To Forget All My Toil [for] the LORD Hath Heard Me [being] Joined Unto Me [and] He Has Purchased Me [wanting] To Dwell With Me [and] The LORD Shall Add To Me [also] The Son Of His Right Hand.

5. One Baptism

Now, coming to the names of these children of Israel of the tribe of Judah, in the book of Daniel, namely: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah, we see:

Israel – God prevails or Prevails with God: [Genesis 32:28]
    Judah – “I will praise the Lord” [Genesis 29:35]
    Daniel – “God is my judge”
    Hananiah – “Jehovah has favored [or is gracious]”
    Mishael – “like unto God”
    Azariah – “whom Jehovah has helped”​

Thus we see that these are the story of Redemption through Jesus:

Those who “prevail with God” will say “I will praise the LORD” forever, for the true Merciful and Just “God is my Judge” in the day of judgment, and He is “Jehovah, [whom] has favored or is gracious [unto]” us, desiring that we should be made “like unto God”, remade in His image, according to His will, for we are they “whom Jehovah has helped” that we might become overcomers in Him.​

What we might also notice, is that these were the names glorifying God.

Yet, most more commonly know these four children by their Babylonian names given later, being: Belteshazzar, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego.

Pity, that so many, so readily remember those names rather than their given names which glorifies the God of Heaven.

6. One Baptism

God, shall give them a new name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOzd21u5MY

Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee. - Genesis 17:5

And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. - Genesis 32:28

Thou shalt no more be termed Forsaken; neither shall thy land any more be termed Desolate: but thou shalt be called Hephzibah, and thy land Beulah: for the LORD delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married. - Isaiah 62:4

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. - James 2:23

By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; - Hebrews 11:24

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. - 1 John 3:1

And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name. - Isaiah 62:2

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it]. - Revelation 2:17

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, [which is] new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and [I will write upon him] my new name. - Revelation 3:12

Babylon, you also shall be renamed:

Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: [there is] no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate. - Isaiah 47:1

Sit thou silent, and get thee into darkness, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called, The lady of kingdoms. - Isaiah 47:5

Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that it shall no more be called Tophet, nor the valley of the son of Hinnom, but the valley of slaughter: for they shall bury in Tophet, till there be no place. - Jeremiah 7:32

Therefore, behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that this place shall no more be called Tophet, nor The valley of the son of Hinnom, but The valley of slaughter. - Jeremiah 19:6

The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said [to be] bountiful. - Isaiah 32:5

It is written:

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. - Romans 10:13