1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NAPSV

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Andrey, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Here's a truly new way to view scripture.

Go to www.achievebalance.com/napsv

It is based on doing this with people one-on-one for years on spiritual weekend retreats across the country.

You can print out the final document and give it as a gift.

Andrey

2. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Unfortunately, this individual's attempt to "paraphrase the entire NT in his own words" is simply a written commentary of his opinion as to what the text says. Not very reliable, and questionable from someone who was "bored with the Bible".

It is an ever increasing phenomenon in today's highly individualized evanjelly-calism that one needs a "translation" which speaks to "me" rather than to the church and the world.

3. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Chris, thanks for going to my site and reading there. It shows that you like to do background work and research things for yourself. That is a very commendable trait.

Read on at my site, and see that I took 3 years of my life to re-do the New Testament as an exercise to better understand what God was saying. I confess that God used 'boredom' to motivate me to a different way of relating with Him. I could hide that fact, but then I wouldn't be confessing my sins to other Christians. Also, in my weakness God is made known.

I think that one must digest their own food for their own nutrition. Your statement seems to say that all we need to do is study world hunger, and should not eat for ourselves!

You and I probably agree that we need to do both, so let's do them.

4. Molly

Molly New Member

I agree ,Chris. This makes me nervous....God's Word is fine and understandable like it is. Noone can just rewrite the Bible based on what it means to them.

5. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Andrey, I have to agree with Chris, this seems more like a commentary than anything. I would suggest looking into working with professional translators and recieving formal training on Bible translation if this is an area that you feel called to work in.

UNP
    Adam

6. Andrey

Andrey New Member

One day I will learn how do do all these 'quote' things and stuff you all are already so good at.

But, until then, I shall use plain text, as I ask you a simple question, which is very related to what is happening right here:

What is God's Word?
    A. The Holy Bible
    B. Jesus Christ
    C. Whatever God Says
    D. Whatever an Angel, acting as God's Messenger, Says
    E. All of the above.

According to "A", in John Chapter One, the answer is . . . "B".

There is also much evidence throughout "A" that "C" and "D" are very much the answer for many, many centuries, especially before "A" was written.

The Bible _is_ Holy, and so is the rest of God's Word. If I were to say that ONLY the Bible (any version) is God's Word is for me to turn my ears deaf to God.

God (or His angel) spoke to Joseph, to Mary, to Zacharias (John the Baptist's father), the shepherds, to Simeon, to Anna, and to Jesus. Those are all New Testament examples, by the way.

God Speaks Even Today, and I pray that we may Hear Him, Recognize His voice, Understand what He is telling us, and respond properly.

Oh, the answer might be, just might be "E".

7. DocCas

DocCas New Member

This particular misunderstanding of Jesus and the bible has cropped up before.

Jesus is the Word of God. The Greek word for "Word" is λογοσ which denotes the personal wisdom and power of God in Christ.

The Greek word usually translated "word" when refering to the written word of God is ρημα and refers to the subject matter of a thing spoken of.

8. BrianT

BrianT New Member

What??? I just checked, and "logos" appears about 330 times in the NT, only about 7 of which are in reference to Christ while over 200 times as a regular written "word". "rhema" on the other hand seems to refer mostly to the spoken word, rather than the written word.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Can you re-explain?

9. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Andrey:

Are you saying God speaks to you apart from His Word today?

10. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I am saying that λογοσ is the mind of God in Christ. ρημα is the spoken word of God which was recorded by the prophets and apostles creating the mind of God in written form, or the λογοσ of God.

11. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Chris, in a word, yes.

12. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

THAT's what I was afraid of. :(
    Andrey, are you a Baptist?

13. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Andrey's profile says he/she is a Baptist and a member of a Southern Baptist Church in Norfolk. [​IMG]

14. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Chris,

There is much about God that I do not understand, but I see that He spoke to people throughout the Old Testament, and throughout the New Testament. Sometimes in person, sometimes through angels (whatever they are!).

You question my being a baptist, based (apparently) on my hearing God's voice, so I wonder if it is baptist theology that God doesn't talk to baptists, or that God has stopped talking completely. Can you help me on this, am I missing something?

Thanks for teaching me.

15. Andrey

Andrey New Member

Molly,
    I am sorry if it sounded like I was making the words I wrote as the words God had for everyone.

The first version of my project, will never be published, because it was a bible study for my own use, to become very involved in what Jesus did and said. That was very personal, and no one will see it. In fact, only one part even still exists today, as all of it was deleted. (That's a high-tech word for destroyed!)

The 2nd version is for people to use privately, and I have gotten much positive feedback from people seeking healing. That doesn't validate it, but it does show me that imperfect as I am, and imperfect as my work is, God uses it to touch His people.

You are right, no one should impose their own interpretation of scripture on others.

But I believe we are called to share with each other what God is doing in our lives, and a place like this is great for sharing.

Andrey
    www.achievebalance.com

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

And we all know that profiles on here are always infallible :D

17. Forever settled in heaven

but who's Taowm Cossaitig?

18. Andrey

Andrey New Member

TomVols,
    Are you named after Doubting Thomas? (smiley)

If you need, you can call the First Baptist Church of Norfolk, in Norfolk, Virginia at 757-461-FBCN and ask about me. I have been a member since the mid 80's.

1980's that is, not the 1880's! If I knew how to place a smiley, I would place another one here!

If you have something to say to me, please get to the point, either in private or in public. It is possible that I have misunderstood your post, and if that is the case, I beg your forgiveness.

Andrey
    www.achievebalance.com

[ April 14, 2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Andrey ]