1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Narnia

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by buckster75, Dec 12, 2005.

1. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

As I stated elswhere, Narnia is a delightful little fantasy for children or the family but it is a dangerous work for gleaning theological truth. IMHO, heresy is serious stuff. Why do Bible-believing Christians cuss Rudolph Bultmann and laud C.S. Lewis who held a similar theological position from the opposite direction? There seems to be an internal contradiction here! What do you think?

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

LOL! You guys are ALL nuts!

I took the girls to see it Christmas Eve as a gift, thought I'd view this thread and find others who saw it and talk about it a little, and I find a bunch of adults arguing over it, and even pulling out the big words! This is too funny...you all are serious?

I hate to see grown men fight to the death over kids movies, so let's see if I can settle this.

Everyone put down their swords. The ones with the lion emblem sit to my right, the ones with icicles, sit on the left.

Now, here's the scoop.

The Chronicles of Narnia were children's fantasy books that dealt with themes of good and bad. Like most every book ever written.

Then a movie was made from the first of the books. Narnia.

People went to see it.

A lot of people liked it. Some didn't.

The end.

Deal with it.

3. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Lol, Gina. I saw it tonight and loved it. I dont see how one can watch it and NOT see the allegory.

4. Sularis

Sularis Member

Im so sorry to go beyond yer most excellent closing post - but I read something that made me so sad

paid said

" BTW, God’s attributes are not founded in His love. My God is not a one-dimensional Being. "

Im going to take this to another thread - but its really sad that you think that God being Love is one-dimensional - or that you've invented another god for yourself

5. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

My God, as revealed in His divinely inspired Word, is sovereign, omnipotent, omniscient, merciful, good, loving, holy, just, gracious, etc. All of His attributes are in perfect balance and complete harmony without internal contradiction or inconsistency. Hence, no one attribute controls the others. My God is too wonderful and overwhelming to be described or contained in one word or concept. God is multi-dimensional and even then all of our thoughts and words cannot circumscribe him—He exceeds anything we can imagine or think. Therefore, I have no time for pursuing a tangential idea that all of God is inscribed within the word love or the concept of love. Such is mere man’s infatuation with a thought. Any sadness lies in the limiting of God to one binding concept or idea conceived in the finite mind of man. Adieu.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Anyone enamored with C. S. Lewis and his theology should read a paper presented by Dr. John W. Robbins at the Evangelical Theological Society in 2003. This should blunt any Bible-believing Baptist’s infatuation with the theological implications of Narnia. The paper can be found at http://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=103.

7. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just saw it last night. Really enjoyed it at felt it was pretty faithful to the book.

8. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

I don't see to many theological implications to it. Unless you disagree with the Idea that Christ dies for traitors and rose from the dead.

9. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Look around the Internet and you'll find evangelicals everywhere trying to make hay of stubble. Narnia is a child's fantasy--let's leave it at that and not try to make it a Christian theological statment to the world.

10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Christ died for traitors???????? My Bible says Christ died for SINNERS--and ALL HAVE SINNED--Rom. 3:23

11. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I believe Lewis was of the opinion that all sinners are traitors.

12. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The problem is that Lewis had a lot of unorthodox and strange opinions. Clives is not my benchmark for theological truth. When one begins changing the theological terms, he changes the theological meaning since words carry specific connotations. Lewis was a master of words thus being able to weave whatever meaning or interpretation he desired into his restatements. Many are gulled by him as evidenced by the popularity of his unorthodox theology in evangelical circles. Read him carefully, closely and critically.

13. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Our family is not big at all into "christian fantasy" or fantasy films in general. I did take my 9 and 11 year old daughters to see Narnia though.
    They just thought it was fun. A land of make believe. Yes Aslan and his actions did reflect shades of a Christ-like figure. My kids noticed that and that was about it. We discussed it a bit. I just told my kids all they ever need to know to understand Christ and His sacrifice etc... is in the Bible. On the surface what kid and even some adults don't enjoy their imagination. Finding a wardrobe that leads to another whole world is kinda neat. Its fantastic and mystical. It stirs the imagination. I don't think that is so bad.
    OTOH, for those who are old enough to take a look into the nuances of the movie you can see other things.Some which I do not like.
    I'm no fan at all of mixxing mysticism and theology,Christology etc... This is what Narnia does. If your a person out there who considers him or herself "spiritual" you could easily find a way to incorporate the Narnia gospel into your own belief system.
    Anything that blurs the exclusive message of the Gospel in any fashion is to be looked at very carefully.
    For example how does "Father Christmas" tie into Aslan who is supposed to be somewhat an analogy of Christ?'
    If Aslan is a picture of Christ to me he presented a weak picture when Aslan cut a deal with the Queen of Narnia.
    I thought a more clear picture of man was presented in the movie than Christ. The kid who betrayed his own family for his selfish desire to rule over all was a good picture of man and his pride and desire to be Lord of himself. You could really feel or sense that in film by the kid who played that part.
    My kids though just thought it was an exciting film filled with suspense, danger etcc.... I'm going to leave it at that.

As far as Lewis goes. IMHO his writings just seem to complicate matters of faith to me. Maybe I'm just a clod kicker from the hills but I just don't need all the info he offers to understand where I came from and where I'm going and why.
    Sometimes I think Lewis was still trying to figure it all out even up until the end. Just my opinion.

14. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Paid,

Great link concerning Lewis. It helped to clarify some thoughts I've had about him.
    I think Lewis would be right at home in the
    new "Emergent Church Movement". I've read alot concerning their beliefs their leaders etc...
    That Brian McClaren fellow sounds alot like Lewis. Also, that Brennen Manning fellow. I see shades of Lewis's thinking in his writings.
    Oh well just some connections that I see.
    What are your thoughts concerning the fascination evangelicals have with Lewis?

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

shannonL said:

I think Lewis would be right at home in the
    new "Emergent Church Movement".

That is doubtful. Rather, I think Lewis, as a traditional Anglican, would not be so enamoured with the emergies' hodge-podge of borrowed traditions, or their theological leftism.

That Brian McClaren fellow sounds alot like Lewis.

Lewis is one of those people that everyone wants to claim for their side.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

IMO, all who sin betray their Lord. All sinners are betrayers of the Lord. There is none here who does not sin. There is none here who is not a sinner. Hence, there is none here who has not betrayed his/her Lord. It is in this context that the comment appears to fall.

Just my $.02.

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm gonna "Ditto" ShannonL here! I saw the movie with my wife and kids----we have learned that Hollywood motion pictures cannot---CANNOT---replace the infallable, inerrant, inspired word of God we call the Bible!!

Everything I need to present the saving gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ is found within the pages of His Precious word!!

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I can't recall a single person who ever said otherwise, yet most people don't avoid seeing movies because of that fact.

19. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

blackbird said:

I saw the movie with my wife and kids----we have learned that Hollywood motion pictures cannot---CANNOT---replace the infallable, inerrant, inspired word of God we call the Bible!!

Oh.

Darn.