1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NASB and NIV, True and Trustworthy.

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Ben W, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

First time I heard that interview, I actually rewound the tape, pulled out a stopwatch, and timed Gail the Ripper's rant before she finally said "God gave it to me" and shut up.

Her tirade, which has nothing to do with Acrostic Algebra, blathers on for a minute and a half. No exaggeration.

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Gee, I guess I'll have to make sure all my NIVs don't mysteriously turn into TNIVs when I'm not looking. I didn't realize gender-neutral language was contagious. Thanks for the warning.

3. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I was going to reply to this, pointing out each misrepresentation, but I kept loosing count.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why not list also the number of errors that were changed as the King James Bible was being Re Revised, like getting rid of the word Easter, and putting in the actul text being Passover.

Funny that Gods Perfect word had to be revised over and over, and still contains many errors.

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

The above promise from the King James Bible tells us that God intends to preserve His WORDS forever. Notice how the new versions destroy this promise by making you think the context is God's PEOPLE rather than His WORDS:

NIV....... you will keep us safe

NASB... Thou wilt preserve him

NRSV... You, O Lord, will protect us

REB...... you are our protector

LB......... you will forever preserve your own

NAB...... You, O Lord, will keep us

6. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

For Pete's sake, Steve, do you have to post the same stuff to every everlovin' thread?

Don't you have any better arguments to make than cluttering up the forum with useless noise?

7. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Sorry, but when an article's quotes "Yea hath God said" practically right off the bat, and contains such blatant falsehoods as:

you can pretty much throw Pastor Hugo W.K. Schönhaar's personal opinions on the trashheap.

He also writes:

Want to bet? KJV-onlyism exalts human reason above divine revelation. That is the very definition of liberal.

[ January 24, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

9. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

huh? was niv written by God and kjv not? what is kjv-onlyism?

10. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Steve K,
    Being an adult, you should not brag about your ignorance of the English language. Psalm 12 does refer to God's people, not God's word, and posting these misrepresentations will not change the truth.

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Rakka Rage asked, when I said:

KJV-onlyism exalts human reason above divine revelation. That is the very definition of liberal.

was niv written by God and kjv not? what is kjv-onlyism?

On the contrary, the KJV is God's word every bit as much as the NIV; no more, no less.

KJV-onlyism is the uncriptural belief that the King James Bible is exclusively the Word of God in English. Some KJV-onlyist (like Sam the Gipper) go as far as saying it's the only Word of God in any language.

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you translate the KJV word for word into another language, it will not make sense, and will have millions of errors. Terms in English are often quite different.

Here is an interesting thought. If God was going to translate his word into one specifc language it would be more likely to be Hebrew. I can see no case for English over another Language, Particularly when Ethiopia was the longest standing non Catholic Church. Not a church created by a king who wanted divorce permission!

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The above promise from the King James Bible tells us that God intends to preserve His WORDS forever. Notice how the new versions destroy this promise by making you think the context is God's PEOPLE rather than His WORDS

Or maybe the new translations more accurately translate the hebrew text than the KJV did. If the promise did not exist in the Hebrew, then for the KJV authors to add it is heresy.

Mind you, I don't think they did that. I think they translated it to the best of their imperfect human ability.

14. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

what is wrong with the "yea hath God said" argument?

what is false about the "White" statement you quoted?

you must be kidding!? they are different... not the same. different. this article lists compares and comments on 400 of those differences.

so your position is that differences are irrelivant, and everything is Gods word? anyone says different goes on the trash heap... interesting. i do not believe the term "kjv-onlyism" was used in the article.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Rakka Rage said:

what is wrong with the "yea hath God said" argument?

It is selectively applied, and therefore hypocritical. The KJV-onlyists who use it to accuse others of "questioning God's word" conveniently ignore the fact that they are doing that very thing themselves every time they accuse the NIV or whatever of being a "corruption" or a "perversion."

what is false about the "White" statement you quoted?

Anyone who says James White does not believe we have any Bible is either a deliberate liar, or woefully ignorant of what the man believes and teaches.

you must be kidding!? they are different... not the same.

No kidding. But being "different" does not automatically make the KJV better.

That is what the KJV-onlyists assume; on this point they are guilty of circular reasoning.

so your position is that differences are irrelivant, and everything is Gods word?

No, my position is the one quoted above.

No one believes that differences in translation are "irrelevant." That is extremist KJV-only language.

Nor does anyone believe that "everything" is God's Word. That, too, is a KJV-only fairy tale invented to make their opponents look worse.

Nor do Bible believers who dispute the unscriptural KJV-only theory do not believe that all Bible translations are therefore equal. Again, that is a deliberate misrepresentation of their position by KJV-onlyists attempting to gain a rhetorical foothold when the facts have failed them.

Disbelieving in an unproven fantasy about the true nature of the King James Bible is not the same as saying "anything goes." Why this very simple concept is so difficult for the extremists to grasp, despite having it repeated for them gazillions of times, is beyond me. I suspect wilful ignorance.

[ January 28, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Ransom ]

16. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

hu haw hah huh haw hyu hyu ha ha Oh you were serious? When you change the word of God I can't possilbly take you serious.Who's Pete? Truth hurts no matter how many times you read it.

17. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

The info I posted all applied to topic and all was truth.Not the lies told by men? like White and his kind.

18. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

What a perversion of scripture to say that Psalm 12:6&7 are referring to man! The context is God's word clearly because it says WORD!

19. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Steve K,
    I would suggest that you enroll in an English grammer course in a college, but you would, no doubt, disagree with anything the professor tried to teach you about the English language.

It is obvious that Ps 12 is refering to the godly man and not to the preservation of scripture.

While the KJV is a good translation of the scripture into English, it is, by no means, the only or the best choice for the English speaking people today.

I'm glad that we do not apply your faultly logic concerning the KJV to the automobile industry. If we did, we would all be driving around in Model T's.

20. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You are accusing the psalmist of perverting Scripture??? He is the one who wrote it; how can he be the one perverting it?? The psalmist is the one who said that the godly man will be preserved. The psalmist is the one who was not referring to the words but to the godly man.

I see your absence didn't bring any improvement in your demeanor or your theology. :(