1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Navigation question

Discussion in 'Science' started by Eric Pement, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

I just learned about the Science forum from a mention of it in the General Baptist Discussions forum. I would like to know why it's not possible to navigate to this forum from the main menu at

http://www.baptistboard.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

and why this forum is hidden from view. Should this be attributed to the request of the forum members to reduce the amount of "noise" from posters? Thanks in advance.

2. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

Follow up to my own question ... Are there other forums like this which are similarly hidden from menu navigation? If so, what are they and how are users supposed to find them?

Thanks.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eric, the topic itself may derail weaker Christians.

It often became divisive and mean spirited.

The temptation to flame-post became overpowering for some.

It's quieter now but serves its purpose.

Save a link in your "Favorites" folder right next to the main site.

Rob

4. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

I was sysop of a Christian bulletin board for six years. We had a policy that users who were consistently guilty of "flaming" could be have their posting privileges revoked for increasing lengths of time. Is that not possible here?

Thanks for the tip on bookmarking the forum link.

Are you able to address my second question about other inaccessible but "open" discussion forums?

--
    Eric Pement

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hey, are you questioning the Authority of the adminstrators? They made the decision and that's that. :mad:

They did announce that this was here once. It had previously been closed to all posting when it was on the regular menu.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are no other hidden forums to my knowledge.

The old Arminianism/Calvinism was recently shut down.
    Who knows whatever may become of that forum. (Personally I believe that the forum was chosen to close before the foundation of the world) :D

The Translation forum has been continually spamed by trolls and may suffer a similar fate.

God bless the owner, the moderators and administrators for the tough jobs they do.
    We're a tough bunch to handle sometimes.
    There are some suspensions occasionally.

Read the archived Creation/Evolution file to see past indiscretions.

Rob

[ December 24, 2005, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

7. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

Does that mad face signify anger at me, anger at the administrators, or what? You're the first person to say that the administrators decided to close the forum from public access. For all I knew, that could have been the decision of the participants, the results of a survey or poll, or something else.

I was curious about the rationale for the decision, but no longer. I can easily believe that forums on Science can tend to attract some people with an axe to grind. I've run bulletin boards before; I'm aware of the problems free speech can cause.

Yes. I can see that on the KJV issue people tend to be polarized easily as well. I guess there are several grains of truth in my old stereotypes of Baptists. (And yes, I am now a Baptist myself.)

Merry Christmas, Daisy! [​IMG]
    --
    Eric Pement

8. Eric Pement

Eric Pement New Member

Thanks for directly answering my question. Who are the moderators for this forum?

Thanks again. I know how hard it can be to keep a discussion on an even keel, especially with many participants!

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you believe it, my kids are still sleeping this late on Christmas morning!
    ...even my grandson is quiet as a mouse.
    We're im-moderate here in the Science forum.
    Since it's begining back in September of last year there have been no real problems.
    We could probably get an administrator to referee if needed.

But we've got a good bunch of posters here.
    We disagree about almost everything but most of us can discuss things without too much ruckus.
    Once in a great while there's even a good point made that's worth remembering. [​IMG] :rolleyes:

Nice to have you join us. [​IMG]

Are you of the Neanderthal persuasion???? [​IMG]

Well, the native are restless, time to start the day.

Rob

10. Petrel

Petrel New Member

From my understanding the Science forum was started with Helen as a moderator. When time constraints kept her away from the forum, they were going to just close down the board. However, some people requested that it stay open, so it was reopened but not posted on the forum list. It has no moderator.

I actually tried a variety of different forum numbers in the address bar after I found out about this forum in order to see if there were more invisible ones. So far it seems that Science is the only one.

11. npc

npc New Member

Thanks for posting this thread; I was wondering the same thing myself (I only found the forum through the "Active Topics" list)

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

It's imitation anger at those who question authority - my silly sense of humor.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours, Eric Pement!