1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBA Draft ... how did your team fare?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Convicted by the Spirit, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Convicted by the Spirit

I always enjoy watching the NBA draft. This year showed a lot of movement with teams such as the Portland Trialblazers doing a lot of trading. Once again we see Isaiah Thomas make picks in the first round that could make a grown man cry. My Houston Rockets picked Rudy Gay from UConn and then traded him and Stromile Swift to Memphis for Shane Battier. Not the best trade in the world, but atleast we are getting better on defense.

How did your team fare?

2. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

My take on the draft

CC

Here is what I think:smilewinkgrin: Boston made two moves that indicate there is at least one more in the works and I hope it is not Iverson. Telfair is the better move for Boston at this point simply because of experience already gained (he was drafted as an high school player). Secondly and more importantly is the addition of Brian Grant an unassuming blue collar power forward who will work hard for table scraps and be happy with what he gets. The move in the mix is probably Atlanta free agent Al Harrington (I can only hope) Since Atlanta picked up Sheldon Williams the indication is that they will not sign and keep Harrington the problem is that both teams are East coast.

Lakers helped themselves with the acquisition Maurice Evans from Detroit who should have an immediate impact off the bench as a 6th man scorer. Pinnock may be a work in process at swing guard but given the Lakers overall needs he might find a place the second half of the season. The real steal for them would be Farmer whom they have had ample opportunity to see many times at Pauley Pavilion (UCLA). He was very instrumental in taking an unexpectedly strong team deep into the NCAA's this past spring. He may very well be a lucky or fortunate pick, look for him to start before the year is over.

For SBC I think the Pacers made a good move in getting Williams and White because I don’t think they want to keep Stojakavic, he is to lazy and does not fit within their scheme of basketball very well. White replaces the missed defense of Ron Artest Williams gives them an agile 4 who can cover those forwards who don’t want to stay in the paint or near the baseline.

Houston did a great job in acquiring Battier who is the consummate team player and a bull dog on defense. While Gay and Novak will provide some push and offensive muscle from places other than the 3 and 5 spots, face it this is Yao’s team not McGrady’s, therefore you need to pass out of the double teams to perimeter players who can make teams pay for doubling down.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I didn't get to watch it, and the only way I know anything about it is by reading Bill Simmons' running diary this morning.

I would have liked to just for the spectacle of Stephen A. Smith being speechless after Isaiah's first round pick. What I want to know is who is paying Isaiah off so that he can completely destroy the Knicks?

4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I did not watch it either (preaching) but I am a basketball nut so I spent some time reading about the trades and picks.

:smilewinkgrin:

5. Convicted by the Spirit

Shane Battier has always been one of my favorite players. One thing that most and I mean most NBA players today forget is that there is a team and its not just about them. A lot of people are ripping the Rockets for trading Gay for him ... yeah right! Battier is a proven leader and winner. Gay had a boat load of talent around him and could not even beat George Mason in the tourney. I would have like to seen the rockets pick up the Griz 1st round draft pick as well, but dumping Stromile Swift is just as good.

6. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

re:Gay (the player) LOL

In everything I read I did not see where Gay was traded to Memphis I knew they got Shane but for some reason I thought it was for Stromile and a pick and cash. I finally found it in small print on Houston's web site. But getting Battier for Gay is a no brainer in my book also.

I was disaapointed in not seeing Riddick go to Utah I honestly thought that was the best place for him, Hard nosed, physical and coming of those low post screens by Boozer. Ahhh to have seen it.

:laugh:

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I am not a Pacer fan. I am a Bull fan. I am pretty happy with their draft. They got 2 solid players in the draft as well as one additional forward from Portland that I think can come in and help them right away. Look for them to still sign a FA big man in the coming weeks.

8. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

From what I hear, the bulls have really positioned themselves well - they are one of the few teams that is way under the cap, good draft and already a team on the rise. I look for them to do well next year.

I thought houston did well, and think that the Mavs got a good pick - the shooting guard out of Michigan State - four year college player, 19ppg and a good defender/rebounder. kind of in the mold of michael finley.

According to the Dallas Morning News (best sportspage in the country!) That Terry and Dirk are about to re - sign, the numbers are worked out etc. that is good news for Mavs fans

By the way, did anyone see that the reffs from the Dallas Miami series were umpiring in san fransisco the other night for the Rangers Giants series? Mark Texiera hit a two out ball in the ninth that hit the chalk line - chalk puffed up - but was called foul?? At worst would have tied the game, at best won it.

Somebody tell me what they are smoking up in portland - that team tied the NY nicks for the worst draft. Oh by the way, did you hear that the nicks, who will probably have the worst record next year, have agreed to trade draft spots with the bulls for the trade they made in midseason, if the bulls want to pull the trigger!! The bulls are in line for a great player next year

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

There was speculation a few weeks ago that the Bulls have been getting themselves into position to make a big push for Lebron next year when he becomes a free agent. At the time, the question was whether they would go after KG, or wait a year and go after Lebron. If they do either, going after Lebron makes more sense than going after KG.

10. Convicted by the Spirit

I think Lebron will sign for the max before the season starts. He wants to make a name for Clevland like Jordan did for Chicago. I have heard the rumors about KG and I really think they are reaching too far for him. They will probably have to give up 3 solid players and a draft pick for 1 player. They have a good team in place. I say stick to that team.

11. Convicted by the Spirit

It is beyond me how Isaiah has kept his job this long. When I heard the name of the player David Stern called out I was like "Renaldo Balkman?" Maybe Isaiah Thomas and Joe Dumars have a secret relationship under the table that meant that Thomas goes to the Knicks and sinks the team so its one less team the Pistons have to worry about. Mean while the Heat mopped the floor with them. :)

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lebron ain't goin nowhere! He wants to be better than Jordan, and make a name for himself as the greatest ever, not follow in his footsteps in Chicago. That could be the worst possible place for him to go, and he knows it. The constant comparisons to Jordan would drive him crazy.

As far as KG goes, with the Cavaliers' great draft (potential starting shooting guard AND point guard) Larry Hughes is expendable, as rumor has it he wants out of Cleveland anyway (The money you would save would go to sign Flip Murray as your starter next year). I would like to see a sign and trade with Minnesota for KG. I would give up Hughes, Gooden, Luke Jackson or Sasha Pavlovic and even a number 1 for KG. This would give the Cavs one of the best, if not the best frontcourts in the league, and could push them over the top.

#12 webdog, Jun 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2006
  13. PastorSBC1303

Obviously if the Bulls could sign Lebron that would be simply amazing and put them back at the top of the Eastern Conference. However, I do not see that happening. I expect Cleveland to lock up Lebron asap and make sure he is happy for a very long time.

The Bulls have definitely gotten the best of the Eddie Curry trade to NY. They got NY's first round pick this year and have the option to swap places in the first round next year with NY. I do not see the Knicks having a very good year, so that should be another lottery pick. John Paxson is doing a great job as GM in Chicago. He seems to be following the Joe Dumars model of a former well respected player building a solid overall team especially on defense. It won't be long before the Bulls will be legitmately contending for a title again.

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I agree Pastor - the Bulls are in GREAT position - I expect them to contend for a top spot in the east next year - and have a great shot at the #1 pick. Some of the top sports guys around here think the nicks will be the worst team in the nba next year - hope they think curry was worth it!

15. PastorSBC1303

I just read on a Chicago sports website that Ben Wallace has a 4 year deal on the table from the Pistons and one from the Bulls and now he has to decide where he wants to play next year.

I would love to see Big Ben in a Bulls uniform next year. However, I guess I don't see it happening and expect him to resign with the Pistons.

What is the word in Detroit?

16. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I had also heard some early sign and trade rumors involving Dallas - with the bulls in the mix, I doubt that will happen - but a guy can dream! Big Ben paired with the offensive dallas players!!

17. PastorSBC1303

chicagosports.com and ESPN are reporting that Ben Wallace and the Bulls have agreed to a 4 year deal.

Great news for the Bulls! ! !