1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBA Finals

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Jun 6, 2006.

?
  1. Dallas

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Miami

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Don't Care

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

After a nights reflection - the Mavs were thier own worst enemy. Jason Terry was either tired or just plain off last night. The outside shots were not working, but they continued to shoot threes. Dirk made an ill advised pass to Damp, and Terry missed a game tying shot at the end of regulation.

For some reason, the Mavs took it to the spurs. Used thier speed, and attacked Duncan. In the phoenix series, they slowed the ball down and won. For some reason, they could never get the speed back against the Heat. Wade is a force and was definitely the MVP.

I still think that the reffs allowed the Heat to play a rougher game than they allowed the Mavs, but that is basketball. The Mavs had a chance at the end and did not take advantage. The Mavs blew game three and with it the series.

The heat did what they had to do, and they rose to the occasion. My congrats to the Heat and thier fans.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:D So I was a game off...

What you saw was a seasoned, playoff experienced team beat a young, athletic, inexperienced one. Give me an older team with playoff experience over a younger team any day. Miami just comes with so much. Watching my Cavaliers (a pretty good team) take the Pistons (a very good team) to 7, and then Miami having their way with Detroit, I had a feeling they would win it all. If Cleveland would have won the Detroit series, Miami may have swept them.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I still can't believe you root for the Lakers and the Celtics.

It's unnatural. :smilewinkgrin:

4. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks Jimmy C & Pastor. It was indeed a fun series. Congrats to a great Mavs team too -- plenty of young guns who will be back.

I thought it strange the Heat never received too much respect thru the playoffs. Many predicted Chicago to take them in the first series. ESPN Magazine had a huge article on how the Nets were too much for them. Then, no one predicted that they could beat Detroit at home. Lastly, everyone thought the Mavs were too much. Perhaps that underdog mentality helped pull them through.

I hope everyone had a chance to hear some of the comments after the game --
    "First, I want to thank God" - Wade
    "I just praise God" - Mourning (great post-game comments)
    "We are a faith based team" - Riley

Lastly, what a performance by DWade!!

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

CC,

What can I say. I am truly an odd ball, other than God and my wife, few could love me though many tolerate me and to add to my dementia my wife doesn't like BB. :laugh: :laugh:

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Jimmy, I think you hit the nail on the head, the Mavs were their own worst enemy.

The Mavs are a good young team and have a bright future. What do they look to do in the offseason to get the title next year?

My opinion is they need a post up big man that can score who can come in off the bench and provide some punch while Dirk and Howard are resting.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

The "experts" told us what Miami needed to do to win. Here's what really happened.

Miami will have to hit their free throws -- Miami missed 14
    Shaq will have to have a big game -- He played only 30 minutes with only 9 points
    Miami needs to stop its turnovers -- Miami had 19, six more than Dallas
    Miami needs to hit its 3-pointers -- Miami hit only 2 of 18, Dallas hit 5

Here are the five keys that I saw --
    5. Miami had some key blocked shots and more of the them (10 to 7)
    4. Miami shot better from the field (45% to 37%)
    3. Dirk disappeared in the fourth quarter after a tremendous 1st half
    2. Haslem stepped up with 17 points - after a disappointing first five games and continued to play tough defense on Dirk
    1. Dwayne Wade

Any other observations?

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

As Avery Johnson said in the postgame interview, the Mavs fell in love with their jumpshot and stopped taking the ball to the basket.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Agree. Dirk took the ball in during the first half -- with success.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who voted for Miami today? Yesterday the vote was 9-4 in favor of Dallas...
    :laugh:

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

After being on triple suicide watch, and knowing in my heart that suicide is a mortal sin, I decided to be a front runner and switched my vote to Miami - and used three aliases to vote as well!

GO HEAT - my new prediction Heat in 6

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: :thumbs: