1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBC News Poll: GOP Moves Away from Bush

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 4, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

A new NBC News/Wall Street Journal released Wednesday night suggests Republican voters would like to move away from the approach of President Bush and embrace new leadership.

Announcing the results Wednesday night, NBC Nightly New anchor Brian Williams said the results also indicate a new "Republican leader has emerged" in the person of Rudy Giuliani.

Asked if the Republican candidate for president next year should take "a different approach" than President Bush, almost a majority, 48 percent, said yes. Only 38 percent said the GOP's nominee should have a similar approach to President Bush's.

A spring NBC News poll found that 50 percent of GOP voters wanted a candidate who modeled himself on President Bush's approach.

In the heated GOP race for President, the poll had former New York Mayor Giuliani with 30 percent of the Republican vote. But former Senator Fred Thompson, new to the race, has emerged as serious challenger with 23 percent.
    http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/bush_GOP/2007/10/03/37934.html?s=al&promo_code=3AD9-1

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am hoping after this first debate with Thompson next week, Thompson will overtake Giuliani. It is hard to understand how the base of the Republican party could allow Giuliani to get the nomination.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I voted for President Bush both times.

While I have serious concerns about his inaction to guard our borders and the direction of the war (although I am strongly in favor of the war), overall, he's done a good job.

However, (and this is a big however) although he's done a good job in the context of post Reagan Republicanism, even his most ardent supporters have to admit that he is moving further and further from Reaganism with each passing day.

If you haven't guessed by now, I believe that Reaganism is the gold standard the Republicans must aspire to.

We've got to get back to decentralized government and putting power back into the hands of the people. We've got to cut spending before rasing taxes.

In 1980, Ronald Reagan took office on four issues:

Fix the economy
    Fix the military
    Defeat Communism
    Decentralize government

Republicans need to get back to these ideals. The only thing is that, instead of defeating Communism, the job now is to defeat terrorism and those who would threaten the safety and security of the United States and her allies and interests.

These aren't popular things in 2007 and they may cost us elections in the short term. However, by rebuilding the party and holding to these ideals, we will win in the long run and America will be better off for it.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

If Guiliani gets the nod it will mean The Dem candidate will win. He cannot sure up the truly conservative base.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Actually, if Guiliani wins, the Dem candidate will still win.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Na, I dont see it happening. The Dems are imploding with each passing day. Their true colors are showing much like homosexuals when you let them loose on the streets to have one of their days. The gloves come off and the ugly comes out. The Petreaus thing back fired and the Rush thing is completley backfiring. They havent kept their campaign promises regarding the war. Their communist insurance plan for middle class adults was vetoed. They are losing daily.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that the point is that even is Giuliani somehow managed to defeat Hillary Clinton that the policies he would advocate, certainly domestically, would not be measurably different from hers.

8. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I was being facetious. I meant that Rudy is so far to the left that he might as well be a Democrat.

I don't see how the Democrats stand a chance. Obama is going to lose the nomination to Hillary and nobody but the looniest lib is going to vote for her.

I look for a left wing third party candidate to rise up to address their concerns over Hillary and the Democrat vote will be split a la Ross Perot and we'll have another eight years of whining about the Republicans in the White House.

9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Gotchya!:thumbs:

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get used to the sound of "President Hillary Rodham Clinton". Also, the Democrats will increase their majority in the Senate and probably the House.

2008 is shaping up to be an awful election year for the Republican Party. And it has definitely earned it by its abandonment of its limited government principles.