1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NBC report on Katrina responce in Houston

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by El_Guero, Sep 7, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brothers and sisters,

I know that some will not like my asking this: But, was it proper (improper) for Baptists to come together with other "faith based groups" that include buddhists?

God bless,

Wayne

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

The pastor from 2d Baptist and 1st Baptist (Houston) were on the NBC Today show. The Baptist pastor made a comment about how faith based groups were coming together for the Katrina disaster. And he included the buddhists.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Why not? There is a need for relief efforts. People of goodwill can work together to relieve suffering despite their theological differences.

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Scenario: Let's say that I awake one night to find that my neighbor's house is on fire. Worse yet, my neighbor, a 76-year old wheelchair-bound lady, can't get out of the house on her own (the doorway is blocked by flames). The fire department has been called, but is still 4-5 minutes away.

In the meantime, another of my neighbors & I run to get tools (axes, sledgehammers, whatever) to smash through her plate glass front window to pull her out of the burning house. At that point in time, I'm not going to care if my neighbor who is helping rescue the lady is muslim, buddhist, atheist, hindu, or a green-skinned space alien for that matter.

Now simply imagine that it's not a dire emergency (like a fire), but that my neighbor & I come to a mutual agreement that he & I will take turns cutting the 76-year old lady's lawn when it needs cutting.

Whether in a time of dire emergency, or just in times when a good deed may be much appreciated- why shouldn't we be able and willing to team-up with those who don't share our faith, when it comes to helping others in need? It may sometimes even open opportunities to share our faith with them!

5. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

True Larry. My neighbor boasts about not having a drop of Christian blood in her body. When she collapsed in the elevator bank 2 months ago, two Christians gave her back the breath of life. Now she doesnt rail so much about her faith anymore and is a lot more respectful towards everyone in general. I often wonder if she expected us to step over her body.

For me it isnt a question of who I would help, it is a question of when and how.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well, I reckon that what got my attention was the involvement of these non Christian groups on what would be perceived by non believers as equal footing before "God", or the gods.

I guess I am a little too old fashioned. But, it made me feel that the importance of the Gospel was secondary to the importance of elevating the other religions to an equal position during a time of crisis.

7. Daisy

Daisy New Member

LarryN,

You put it very well. [​IMG]

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Let's rephrase the question.

Would it be a good thing for the Baptist to do nothing, while only the Buddhist helped, because we didn't want to work with the Buddhist?