1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 15, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What are your thoughts?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: NCAA Touney 1st and 2nd rounds

I think UK will win versus Villanova and lose versus Kansas.....

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we now see that the Colonial Athletic Association was overrated.

If anyone was complaining about Drexel, they've stopped by now.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Drexel got beat by NC State. However, they didn't get drummed. All you can ask for is a shot.

Stanford proved that they didn't deserve the spot they got.

Somehow I accidentally picked ODU over Butler and ORU over Washington St. I goofed or something. Wash St is one of my sleepers, though I don't think they're Final Four worthy yet. Tony Bennett is a chip of the ole block.

Anyway, I love this time of year!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

#5 EdSutton, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

FTR, Jeff Sagarin had Drexel and NC State as # 75 and # 76 in his rankings, and only separated by .04 points.

Reports of the demise of the "overrated" CAA are at least somewhat exaggerated. VCU 79; Duke 77 final.

Ed

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Duke is gone in the first round and that is all that matters!! Go HEELS!!

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So much for "overrated". Besides, how can a mid-major conference be overrated in the first place? If any conference was overrated this year, it would have been the Pac-10, but I don't think anybody was overrating them anyway.

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    VCU beating Duke does not save the whole conference. VCU truly deserved to be in the big dance (1st in the conference, winning the conference tournament).

The other CAA teams, though, have proven to be weaker than the pundits claimed.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Or a couple of others, such as NC State, were stronger than the same pundits claimed, maybe?

How can one be so certain either way?

Guess that's why we have the tourneys in the second place, hunh?

Obviously, the first is to rake in the bucks. :rolleyes:

Ed

11. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO the best performance of the first day was Vanderbilt! Many so called experts had them losing to George Washington and I think it was the rout of the day; 77-44!

Let's hope that UK has the best performance today. Out of the 4 late games tonight 3 have SEC teams in them. I thought that was kind of strange. And where I live the main game featured tonight is ARK and USC. I can't even watch my KY WILDCATS!

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think my Vols just had the best performance of the day. 121 points and a 30+ blowout of a team that was picked by many to upset them.

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

So far, Vandy (+33) and Tenn. (+35) have made the SEC look pretty good, I'd say. I was very surprised at both margins, and was one of those who picked Long Beach State to upset TN. Hey, it worked with VCU and Duke, when I picked VCU. :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

I now think TN will steamroll VA, as well. And Vandy to squeeze by Wash. St. I've already picked Ark, Fla, and KY for this evening, at least. But both Ark. and Ky. have their work cut out for them, mainly due to inconsistency. And I'm sticking with FL to win it all, again, but "Wepeats are vewy, vewy, difficuwut!", as Elmer Fudd would say.

Ed

#13 EdSutton, Mar 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I think the game of the tournament thus far was the Ohio State-Xavier game. Man, what a finish.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed. I had to miss the 2nd half. I was rooting for Xavier as I used to live near their campus. Oden commits a felony but doesn't get an Intentional Foul called? Same thing with the VA player who mauled Crews under the basket while his teammate hung on the rim. Why was there no technical called?

Oh well. UT didn't need the help, but Xavier sure did. UT hit their FTs, while the X-Men didn't.

16. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "golden one" Oden just about knocked the Xavier player to Canada, but no intentional foul was called. It was ridiculous.

What would it take for that to be called? A punch in the face?

17. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will be in San Antonio cheering on Tenn and A&M and OSU will be my last choice, They don't even deserve to be there...

By the way, my Mildcats or Pussycats were totally outmatched by Kansas. I sense some changes soon and hopefully Tubby goes pro or to Michigan...

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I fully believe Barnhart will ask him to change his staff. When Tubby refuses, he'll be fired. UK probably doesn't want to have to pay the retention bonus due Tubby if he lasts til after the first of April.

19. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Is it just me, or did the officiating look bad this weekend? It seemed like there were some really bad calls in every game I watched. I can't tell whether the officiating really is terrible, or if it becomes highlighted becomes the games are so close and a bad call can really make a huge difference.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It's not just you. Close games bring about close plays and close calls, but the refs blew some big ones. In addition to what I've already pointed out, I'm dismayed at the inconsistency of the carry or palm rule, which was supposed to be a point of emphasis this year. Heck, you can call that about every trip down the floor. Ramar Smith of Tenn got called for it twice in one half. UVA didn't get called for it at all despite Reynolds doing it just as much, it seems. I saw a ton of it in the first half of OSU-Xavier. Saw a lot in UK/'Nova. I think the officiating has been bad all year and it's just carried over.

It seems like the NCAA games are all being done by SEC refs! :laugh: