1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCAA Baseball

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Apr 27, 2008.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does anyone follow college baseball? From my standpoint, it's the best baseball for the money.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I follow the Arkansas Razorbacks. They are having a down year so far. The local sports radio station carries their games.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Do you ever go to their games?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I live about five hours drive from Fayetteville.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

A friend of mine is a huge college baseball fan - he follows Ohio State and goes to many of their games, so he keeps me updated on it. Apparently, Michigan has a great team this year and are something like 16-1 in the Big Ten.

6. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Oh, I did go to one OSU game several years ago when Nick Swisher played for them. We actually got to sit in Archie Griffin's reserved seats right behind home plate. Quite fun.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

We have gone to college baseball games for many years. Since we live close to the U, we go fairly often - at least one game each weekend if they are playing at home.

It's usually very good baseball in a family friendly environment. No alcohol, no profanity, etc. The price (and family friendliness) can't be beat - especially compared to pro ball. And you don't have to pay to park.

I went to an FSU game when I was up in Tallahassee earlier this year. Same thing - good environment & good baseball.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like college baseball. I enjoy seeing the Diamond Vols at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. This year had been an enigma for them and first year coach Todd Raleigh. Under Rod Delmonico, they would win during the week but lost the weekend series against conf foes and wind up out of the tourney in years they had good teams. Of course, in years where they had no business in the tourney, they wind up in Omaha. This year, they have been winning weekend series they shouldn'tve, while losing to Belmont, TTU, ETSU and Lipscomb among others.

One thing I detest about college baseball: the treatment of the so-called student athletes. Anytime you hear the NCAA talk about the best interests of the student athletes and why we can't have a playoff because of the classes students would miss, consider this. Last week, UT played Fri-Sun, traveled Mon, played Tues-Thurs, and traveled late Thurs to play Fri-Sun again. No class time at all. And this is (1) the norm for most big programs, and (2) Not the first time they did this this season, thanks to the NCAA's new rules mandating the same number of games but a later starting date for the season.

I digress...I do love the college game...all except the ping of the aluminum bats.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

I agree -- that's way too much. We haven't seen a lot of that type of traveling (thankfully). Almost all series are during the weekend, with Sunday games starting at 12 noon with an afternoon curfew so the team can hit the road. Some of the week night games have been against local teams to alleviate the travel. Plus, UM plays a lot of home games due to the weather.

#9 FriendofSpurgeon, Apr 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2008
  10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't think I have ever been to a college game but my dad and brother are both umpires and my brother has done some lower level college games at times.
    Also, my dad and little brother went to Omaha a couple of years ago to see Cal St Fullerton play in the CWS.
    My dads cousin was the godfather to one of the players as I recall.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

UNC vs UM

Great college baseball this weekend --- UM vs. UNC (#1 in the country vs. #2).

All of the games in the series are being televised -- but I don't know which stations or parts of the country. However, you might want to see if it is on in your neck of the woods if you are a baseball fan. The second game is tonight at 7pm and the final game is Saturday at 1pm.

We went to the first game of the series last night. UM freshman pitcher Chris Hernandez completed his year with a 10-0 record and junior Yonder Alonso hit a grand slam, with UM taking the first one 12-2.