1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCAA Tournament

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 12, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I did no such thing, friend. My analysis and argument had nothing to do with your perceived fidelity to tradition. That was merely a stated perception on my part based on your comments.

Instead, I based my argument on my reasoning. Read the posts again, my friend :) I don't think there's any question that there are people that don't want to change anything, and since this is a Baptist board, there are probably many of them here :laugh: My argument is not anti-antichange. It's pro-advancement, if you will. You made comments like:
    That's a red-herring because no one made that argument. If you can point out where I said that we should, please do. Otherwise, it stands as a non-sequitur.

Have a good one! :wavey:

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, I know we look at this from different points of view. I think there should be a lot less team in it. As I've said, I don't like blow out games and we have to many of them.

The only ones I see who would enjoy more teams are folks who, their team should not be there but would like to say, our year was good because we got in. Also the gamblers would love more teams, I think that is why it is as big as it is today. Look at the amount of Fl. fans who went to the game this pasted week, it wasn't many and what I was reading of your UT fans wasn't much better if any better.

Yes from time to time their will be a small school do well, look at Texas Western(What is it today, Texas El Paso) and UK back in the day.

There will be more mid-majors doing better because they will keep their players longer today. But if they win there conf. they should be in and if not I don't think they should.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

As I stated earlier, the main reason I'm for expansion is having more teams would increase the competitiveness of the opening round games, generally. Having some games between a 4th or 5th placed high major with a 1st or 2nd mid-major would be more competitive than the 1-16 , 2-15 or 3-14 matchups we have now. This year there were some uncompetitive "even" matched games - Basketball is that unpredictable - but this is not typical. Last year saw 16 seeds leading the 1s in the second half. There is better competition and more parity, and since the game has evolved, the time for expansion is here. I just love college basketball too much - I love March Madness so much and hate to see NCAA drag its feet (as usual) on something that would be good for the game, IMHO.

Reducing the field isn't going to happen because of money. Also, you'll have the third or fourth best teams from the SEC, ACC, and Pac 10 not go to the tournament, and that just isn't fair. This would be akin to 9 or 10 win teams not going to a bowl game at all in CFB. Retraction would mean that ranked teams would not make it to the tournament, as happened before expansion.

Attendance is rarely announced at NCAA games, so it's hard to quantify how the games were attended. I don't like the new pod system. It doesn't reward the high seeds in each pod as it was supposed to do. It just keeps the Carolina schools in North Carolina, which we know the NCAA loves to do.

I hate that this left the forum it was started in. I should've put on my moderator hat and left it there. I'm surprised at the responses there because public polls generally lean to an overhwelming desire to see expansion. I know Billy Packer is the most vocal against it, but then again, what isn't he against? He's against conference tournaments, sunshine, and baby kittens. :laugh:

#43 TomVols, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Tom, You are correct about the money. I have always believed that this was for champioship teams to come and play and see who was the over all champion, not for a third or fourth place team to come into. I think to many want to do away with the season and put everyone in as some states do in HS ball, I'm not one of them.

Which isn't all bad.

Just going on what was in the NO paper. They were asking why their were so few Fl. fans there and so many empty seats and the UT games was brought up also. I know I hate going to Gainesville, much less to NO to see a game and I don't think I'm alone. Some fan will go to games better than others, here the fans will go to the end of the world for a football game but not for roundball, some parts of the country will do it for roundball.

Now Tom you are talking like a UT fan (just having fun with you)! I believe I've seen over the years the ACC teams all over the country in the NCAA. I would say basketball mean more to them and the Big East and a lot of Midmajors than it does to lets say the SEC.

He is old school. He recalls the days at WF when they won the ACC buy lost the ACC tournament and went home. How many years did SC have the best team in the country and lose the ACC tournament and went home? I believe that had a lot to do with them leaving the ACC for the SEC.

We will never agree, Tom, but that is what makes this good, hearing what others think!

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

He's against expansion? It wasn't that long ago that the Curmudgeon of College Basketball wanted to put everybody in the tournament.

I heard that he's against puppies too. :laugh:

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

CCRobinson wrote:
    I am at another computer or I'd post the link. I read it again just a few days ago. Vitale has been the champion of putting everyone in, saying it would take just two more games. I disagree with him.

Bob Alkire wrote:
    I'm not either. The regular season (IMHO) isn't negated by conference tournaments or the NCAA, but we don't need 14-16 teams getting at-large bids.

Regarding ranked teams not being in the tourney, you wrote:
    I disagree. I can think of at least three unranked teams in the Sweet 16. Two teams in the bottom five of the polls are in. ILast year, George Mason wasn't ranked and made it to the Final Four. Nova, NC St, and some others were low ranked (or unranked) and won a title. If you're one of the best two dozen teams in America, your in the best 8% of teams in the land, and you deserve a shot at the real post-season.
    Look back and notice how Duke or UNC always plays in Charlotte, Winston-Salem, or Greensboro without fail. And I disagree about bball's importance historically. Take UT. Even in the lean years, it has been top ten nationally in attendance for many consecutive years. It's the only school to ever have top five attendance marks for CFB and CBB, and it's done it more than once. I don't have my media guides here to give you the years. It's easier to travel for for CFB since it's on a weekend and there are events around it. CBB has three times the games and it's hard to travel through the week. But you'll hear no dispute from me that the south is football country.

In San Antonio, I know that UT is second only to Texas A&M for tickets bought. OSU is fourth according to today's paper. One thing that may have discouraged some UT fans from going to Columbus was the inclement weather, or the calls for it. We were hearing Ice Storm watches from some folks that made the trip, so it curtailed plans for some friends, and I know others who said the same thing. No ice, though, and I've regretted not going! Kidney stones are keeping me from San Antonio, although the tickets sold out pretty quickly and I'm not high enough on the donor list to get first crack :laugh:

I don't know if Packer is old school or just likes to be contrary. Maybe both :)

#46 TomVols, Mar 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007
  7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

As I said we disagree on how many, but the best 2 dozen teams, adds up to 24 teams. That would be fine with me. Are you for cutting back to that?:laugh:

I don't have anything here but didn't Duke come out of the west a few times or was it NC? I think the southern teams should come out of the south and the western teams out of the west and so on.

We can disagree and that is fine, but you take UT, not me:thumbs:

It looks like to me the more teams you add the more folks want to see the exception and as you can tell I'm not one of them. I think it was Bobby Knight(when In. beat Syracuse, I might have the wrong team) who said most of the time the best does not win the NCAA and I have to agree.

With the way bball is going with the players not going for an education but for one or two years of basketball, they are going the way of NCAA baseball, only the true fan and the fan of the school will care. Then they could go to the round robin like baseball, if they would like.:tonofbricks: But it is fun today.