1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NCT Exegesis of Matthew 5:17ff

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Southern, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Southern

Southern New Member

I am curious to know if there are any brothers on the Baptistboard that hold to New Covenant Theology and would be willing to answer some exegetical questions that I have concerning the exegesis of Matthew 5:17ff. To see what I believe to be an excellent critique of current presentations of this verse see here.

It is my understanding that NCT generally understands our Lord to be teaching that OT laws prophetically pointed to the teachings of Christ. In other words, you have NT laws 'fulfilling' (vs. 17;pleroo) OT laws. Mr. Welty, in the article above, points out that Matthew never uses this word to refer to a "teaching" fulfilling a prophecy, but rather it is always the life and actions of Jesus. This would make this the only instance in Matthew and the entire Bible for that matter where this word is used in this fashion.

I am curious to know how some of you understand this. Thanks to any of you brothers that will take the time to work through this.

#1 Southern, Apr 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010