1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Near Death Experiences and the white light ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 17, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Near Death Experiences and the white light ?

I know of many who have had near death experiences and they all mention the same thing. A huge white light at the end of like a tunnel. I have heard of some that while they were on the hospital bed having a heart attack they could see them selves in the bed while floating up and all of a sudden they would return back.

Have you heard of any of these and what is it? We cant just blow it off and saying its non sense if its happening to many? :godisgood: :wavey:

2. standingfirminChrist

I can. The Bible says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. Those who say they floated above their body and then returned could not have done such if one is to believe the Word of God concerning absent from the body.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

The thing that bothers me is that christians, non-christians, atheists, agnostics, humanists, etc etc etc all have the same experience.

That would tend to incline me to believe it is a satanic deception...with the strategy being to get people to buy into the old "all roads lead to God" lie.

Mike

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think it possible that it is God making His appearance to all ... to welcome those already saved, and to give others one last chance?

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I also ask that because most who come out of these experienced are changed for ever and believe that it was God himself who gave them a second chance. Like Lazarus, I mean he was dead and God raised him.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I have a friend who had a near death experience. She said that when a person dies the last sense seems to be hearing. She could not see or speak or move when she heard the doctor say, "Well, we've lost this one."

She found herself in a beautiful meadow and an long deceased aunt was coming to meet her. There was a light and an presence behind her and she says,

"I knew without looking that it was Jesus Christ."

Then she heard, "You can stay here or you can go back." She said it was not audible, but clearly as if spoken it came to her.

She replied, "Well Lord I can stay here, but Floyd and the children need me."

Suddenly she was back in hospital waking as the doctors frantically worked on her.

She says, "Since that day I have never feared death.":godisgood:

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

CrabtownBoy,

Hmmm. Never really thought of it that way before. I guess that could be a legitimate possibility.

Mike

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've come upon the situation only once in my experence in the hospital.

In the cardiac catheriterization lab in days past, it was not unusual for a fatal rhythm to develop (it was related to an old type of contrast dye that we used).

One gentleman "died" with this fatal rhythm and he had to be shocked back to life... (not that unusual, happened about once a week).

But when he awoke, he starts describing this incredible experence.

Now I'm working as his nurse but the doc's are still trying to open a vessel in his heart that was narrowed, so I tell him that we'll talk about it later.

One half-hour later, procedure completed, we have time to talk....

...and he forgot the whole experence. :BangHead:

Rob

9. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Interesting point. Yes, if all roads lead to Heaven, then why bother repenting your sins and trust in Jesus?

love,

Sopranette

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you really believe that God would allow Satan to approach people after they have died?

11. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

But they haven't died. It's a NEAR death experience.

love,

Sopranette

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess it depends on the definition of death we use. For those who were declared medically dead, as with my friend, that is sufficient in my mind.

And, would God allow Satan to appraoch the 'near dead' and not present himself?:godisgood:

13. standingfirminChrist

I find your friend's story hard to believe. There was a presence behind her? If this presence was Christ, why not appear in front of her? Why did she not turn around?

Your friend had a dream.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She says she did not have to turn around, she knew. The doctors said she was dead. I doubt they would confuse sleep with death.

Of course it is hard to believe for us who have not gone through such an experience. My guess is that it would be hard for a person who has never seen or heard of an airplane to believe a description of one was the truth.

15. standingfirminChrist

Yer friend is pulling the wool over yer eyes with that story.

She's gonna talk with the Lord with her back to Him? Didn't have to turn around to know it was Him?

Right.:rolleyes:

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have little faith in being able to know it is Christ's presence, even behind you. Well, remember, Thomas didn't believe until he touched Christ.

I know her well and I certainly take her word on what she experienced over a person who seems to have such doubts. Remember I said the communication was not verbal in the sense of speaking outloud. It was more like a mind making known to another mind, or a spirit to another spirit. Talk, as we know it was and is not necessary when communicating with Christ or God. :godisgood:

17. standingfirminChrist

These modern stories are hogwash and nowhere line up with Scripture.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I think that the anesthesia used and oxygen deprivation to the brain can explain much of what these experiences are. Tunnel with a light at the end speaks of a brain in shutdown mode. At the very last switch the patient is revived and the lights begin turning on. There is bound to be a common experience to this traumatic event.

19. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

My father is a man of God and always raised me in the Church. He had an experience a few years back when he was having heart surgery. He really hasnt told many people about it, because many would just judge and critizize. Well, during that surgery his heart did stop beating for a few minutes and when they were about to declare him dead it started beating again. His pulse was below 20 before his heart stopped beating.

Well, anyways when he woke up. He really didnt know all those details but he said that during the operation he literally saw himself like floating away from the body and going up above the walls to heaven. He told me that he saw the doctors working on him and all of a sudden he dropped down back to his body and thats all he remember. He didnt hear anyone or see anyone but thats what he told me.

What do you guys think?? Pretty weird huh?? However I mean, if God raised Lazarus from the death.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Whatever type of experience one has, be it a near death experience, visions or dreams, etc., if that experience does not line up with Scripture, then that experience is NOT from God...and there is only one other place where this could come from.

The Apostle Paul said this:

2 Corinthians 12:2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth; ) such an one caught up to the third heaven.

2 Corinthians 12:3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth; )

2 Corinthians 12:4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

Why do people get so verbal about these "near death" experiences when the Scriptures say what Paul saw was "not lawful for a man to utter"? Makes you wonder. Seems that people want to "force" Scripture to "fit" their experience rather than discerning whether their experience lines up with Scripture.