1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Near Death Experiences and the white light ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Let me explain further, In case after case and account after account everytime a victim of dehydration in an arid dessert those that survived told the tale of how they thought they saw water on the dry sands. Those that died had ingested sand as if they were taking a drink of water. The brain and body does and sees things that correspond to the conditions that it is subjected to.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your father's story is consistant with others I have heard and read. I read of a blind man whose heart stopped and he saw himself being worked on by the doctors. They gave up and he was taken to the morgue. As they were about to leave one of the attendants saw him move. The attendent yelled for help. The man revivedand was blind as before. Several days later the two attendents who had rolled him to the morgue stopped by his room to visit. He thanked them. When they got ready to leave the man said, "Oh by the way, the pen you dropped and couldn't find rolled under a shelf."

The young men looked and found the pen.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I find it interesting there are people who are so sure they are correct that they limit what God can do and what God cannot do. In 1968 J.B. Phillips wrote a small and very good book entitled, "Your God Is Too Small." Would do well for many to read it.

E. Barrett Browning put it very well also:

"Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God. Only those who see take off their shoes, the rest sit round and pick blackberries.":godisgood:

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Linda64]

But whose interpretation of scripture?

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I believe it is a lie of satan.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would God allow Satan to lie in that way? Is God helpless at our death?

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

this is a plausible explanation.

Keep in mind.....youth ministers, upon death, see a black light.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Every believer has the Holy Spirit indwelling them...Jesus said that He would send the Comforter (Holy Spirit):

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

John 16:9
    Of sin, because they believe not on me;

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

John 16:11
    Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

In 1 John 2:

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

1 John 2:27
    But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Every believer is told to discern...through the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit, the believer is able to interpret the Scripture. Most of the time, however, man interprets Scripture by his own power because it "sounds good" and "feels good". He desperately wants his "experience" to "fit" the Scriptures, but as long as he tries to interpret Scriptures in the flesh, he will fail every time.

1 Corinthians 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

1 Corinthians 2:14
    But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:15
    But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

You all going to be pleased or sad when you all discover that lots of people you all thought were not saved join you all in Heaven?

10. peterotto

peterotto New Member

I thought Penn and Teller did an excellent job of exposing the near death experience. They had the best explaination that I have seen to date.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "The Living know that they will die - the dead know not anything" Eccl 9.

"regarding those who have fallen asleep...The Dead in Christ will rise first -- then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the air to meet our Lord and so (in this way) we shall ever be With the Lord". 1Thess 4.

The reason that atheists, agnostics, Hindus and Christians are all open to this - is that all of them are going through the "brain shutdown process" and all of them are susceptible to the influences of "this world" in doing that.

in Christ,

Bob

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But this is not the situation in all cases.

Even anesthesia and surgery events have out-of-body and white-light experiences reported.

Also we have people reporting vivid descriptions of conversations in heaven vs events in hell.

Some of this stuff is "artifically being manufactured" according to the rules of 2Cor 4:4.

13. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And I thought it was Sigfried and Roy. [​IMG] :laugh:

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

My cousin was in a terrible car accident and she "died". When she awakened, her whole head was wrapped and only the mouth was exposed. She told us that she had been to heaven, and she saw our granny and grandfather (whome we had never met, but my dad said she described him perfectly. The Lord told her he wasnt done with her yet so He sent her back.

I think its a crock. She was not a Christian, and our grandparents that she saw with the Lord were devout Mormon. Granny had on the wedding gown she was buried in. I think somehow her mind did that.

At my dad's funeral, the child of another one of my cousins said (upon seeing my Dad for the first time in his life, and in the casket) "Oh, I know him from the prelife."

The mind is an interesting critter.

15. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, yep, you are right. You know there are a number of big brick windowless buildings in heaven. Each building is for a different group that is sure they will be and are the only ones there. I guess they are sound proof also.

I just want a little mountain cabin beside a nice babbling trout stream.:laugh:

16. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As most know, I am out of work sense October of '07 for foot surgery. I had my left foot done first. It was the very first time in my 51 years that I have been under anesthesia and was some what apprehensive. It took 3.5 hours for the Dr to work on my foot. Before I was put under I said a barely audible prayer for the Dr and then began to sing "Amazing Grace". The Dr said that I sang the whole time that I was under. I do not remember getting past the first stanza. :laugh: I asked her if I sang out of key and she said that I did pretty good.

Well the next thing I recall I was awash in all white. Just above me to my right and just inside of my peripheral vision was a face. I could not see any facial features but the figure had long curly red hair. My mother had long coppery hair in her youth. However my mother is still alive. Plus I cannot say that the figure was female. I was overcome, seemingly, with joy and I new that I was crying yet I was smiling.

I turned my head to look at the figure as this was the only feature that I could grasp with my sight. There was no form to anything. All was awash in white, much like a white out in a blizzard. Even my own self had no visible form. However, as soon as the thought to look at the figure was formed, the recovery room snapped into view. I was looking at the curtain dividing the beds to my right. I was in tears and my pillow was wet with them. I was saying something, "He wants me to tell you that He loves you." I looked to my left and a nurse was attending my IV. I was still crying and felt joy and great peace. I told the nurse that Jesus my Savior wants me to tell you that He loves you and died for you. She did not pay any mind to what I was saying and I repeated that three more times. I was beginning to think that I was talking to a JW and she was holding a needle. :eek:

She finally asked me if I were a preacher and I said "Yes, Baptist." Well she pulled out a pendent and asked if I knew what this means. Showing part of it I recognized the Star of David and a menorah. "You're Jewish?" She nodded and revealed the rest of the pendant as I was about to go into shock for having witnessed to my first Jew. It was the Christian fish emblem. The pendant consisted of the star of David, menorah and the fish. "Wow, you are Messianic", she nodded again. We had a pleasant conversation as she helped me get ready to go.

I honestly think that with my apprehension, the anesthesia, the prayer, and the singing, God put into my mind a peaceful presence that I got a glimpse of as I came out of surgery.

The mind is a curious organ indeed.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I honestly think that the tunnel light thing is "mental mechanics during shut down."
    Personally, I think that Steven's account at his stoning is what a believer will experience.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How did Saul (Paul) know?

20. standingfirminChrist

I agree, Bro.

Stephen saw Jesus. Jesus is light. I do not believe the Child of God when dying will see any dark whatsoever. No dark tunnel before the light.